• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BKF

True, churches in and of themselves are not charities, but neither are PETA, Greenpeace, the Sierra Club, or NPR, but they are all non-profit organizations, which is what matters in the view of the IRS. Most churches engage in charity (and all should in a much more significant manner).

Non-profit does not mean tax exempt. An organization can be a non-profit corporation or other non-profit entity and still be required to pay tax like any other entity.

To be tax exempt as a "charitable" organization, an entity must be organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or educational purposes, or to foster national or international amateur sports competition (but only if no part of its activities involve the provision of athletic facilities or equipment), or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals.

In addition, no part of the net earnings of the organization can inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, no substantial part of the activities of the organization can be carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting, to influence legislation, and the organization cannot not participate in, or intervene in any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office.

Religious purposes are, in and of themselves, sufficient for tax exemption (assuming the other requirements are met). A religious organization does not also have to be charitable. Likewise, an educational organization does not also have to be charitable.

I think there can (and should be) be a legitimate policy debate as to whether all of these organizations should qualify for tax exemption (for example, the NCAA and organizations that put on college football bowl games can be tax exempt - totally ridiculous), but I think with religious organizations, there are significant entanglement issues that would come with taxing churches and other religious organizations.

I for one would love to see a tax system designed by Wakelaw2006. Of all the posters on here she seems to be the most grounded in logic and has an understanding of what the current tax structure encourages/discourages.

Have at it, Tax Vixen!

Then perhaps we could couple it with 2 and 2's manifesto to form a better union!

Last edited:
I for one would love to see a tax system designed by Wakelaw2006. Of all the posters on here she seems to be the most grounded in logic and has an understanding of what the current tax structure encourages/discourages.

Have at it, Tax Vixen!

Then perhaps we could couple it with 2 and 2's manifesto to form a better union!

She's a cool chick who for some reason has been a no show at the grassy knoll tailgate this year.

She's a cool chick who for some reason has been a no show at the grassy knoll tailgate this year.

This has been a tough football season (not just because we suck ass). I knew going in to it that I was probably only going to make 3 or 4 games, but stuff came up and now it is looking like Carolina and Clemson may be the only 2 games I make it up to Winston for. Sad panda :(

Have at it, Tax Vixen!

Thanks, Sarge. I probably tell my boss at least once a week that life would be a lot better if they would let me re-write the Internal Revenue Code. Though with your libertarian leanings, I'm not sure you would like what you would get from me :thumbsup:

This has been a tough football season (not just because we suck ass). I knew going in to it that I was probably only going to make 3 or 4 games, but stuff came up and now it is looking like Carolina and Clemson may be the only 2 games I make it up to Winston for. Sad panda :(

I missed the carolina game because I was playing super dad. As far as I know, you haven't made it to a single game all year.

Non-profit does not mean tax exempt. An organization can be a non-profit corporation or other non-profit entity and still be required to pay tax like any other entity.

To be tax exempt as a "charitable" organization, an entity must be organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or educational purposes, or to foster national or international amateur sports competition (but only if no part of its activities involve the provision of athletic facilities or equipment), or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals.

In addition, no part of the net earnings of the organization can inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, no substantial part of the activities of the organization can be carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting, to influence legislation, and the organization cannot not participate in, or intervene in any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office.

Religious purposes are, in and of themselves, sufficient for tax exemption (assuming the other requirements are met). A religious organization does not also have to be charitable. Likewise, an educational organization does not also have to be charitable.

I think there can (and should be) be a legitimate policy debate as to whether all of these organizations should qualify for tax exemption (for example, the NCAA and organizations that put on college football bowl games can be tax exempt - totally ridiculous), but I think with religious organizations, there are significant entanglement issues that would come with taxing churches and other religious organizations.

thanks for this

As an aside, that should put to bed any tax-exempt status questions regarding ACORN and its successor organizations. I, for one, am glad we cleared that up.

As an aside, that should put to bed any tax-exempt status questions regarding ACORN and its successor organizations. I, for one, am glad we cleared that up.

I'm pretty sure ACORN was not a charitable organization under 501(c)(3), but a social welfare organization under 501(c)(4). The rules are completely different. I think the voter registration arm of ACORN was a (c)(3), and while some of the tactics used by that organization were questionable at best, voter registration and education has consistently been held not to violate the proscriptions against intervening in political campaigns or excessive lobbying.

Back