• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GOP & Cities

TuffaloDeac10

🌹☭
Reaction score
I think my biases may be at play, but I really enjoyed this NYT article

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/opinion/sunday/republicans-to-cities-drop-dead.html?pagewanted=1

The very word “city” went all but unheard at the Republican convention, held in the rudimentary city of Tampa, Fla. The party platform ratified there is over 31,000 words long. It includes subsections on myriad pressing topics, like “Restructuring the U.S. Postal Service for the Twenty-First Century” and “American Sovereignty in U.S. Courts,” which features a full-throated denunciation of the “unreasonable extension” of the Lacey Act of 1900 (please don’t ask). There are also passages specifying what our national policy should be all over the world — but not in one American city.

Actually, that’s not quite true. Right after “Honoring Our Relationship With American Indians” and shortly before “Honoring and Supporting Americans in the Territories,” the Republican platform addresses another enclave of benighted quasi-citizens: the District of Columbia. Most of what it has to say is about forcing the district to accept school vouchers, lax gun laws and the fact that it will never be a state. It also scolds the district for corruption and “decades of inept one-party rule.” Only a city would get yelled at.

I thought it was kind of a pointless op-ed piece. Sorry. Pubs didn't lose cities because of Al Smith. They lost cities because the black vote has been overwhelmingly Democratic since FDR and whites fled to the suburbs in the 50s. Simple as that.

As for the little bit on DC, DC is run largely by the bureaucrats in the federal government, which is undoubtedly why it is as fucked up as it is. That's why Kansas City or Dallas isn't mentioned in the platform-- because DC is within the political jurisdiction of Congress.

That's okay, we'll carve out just enough of the cities and lump it with rural areas so Foxx can still win.

Platform committees are the second biggest waste of time in politics.

Writing about things on party platforms would by definition have to top it.

Back