• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thursday's Debate: Discussion Thread

Exactly. Anyone who has ascended to where he has in life and remained there for decades is far from an idiot. Sometimes people are in over their heads or not as smart as their desired position calls for (Sarah Palin), but that doesn't make them an idiot.

I never thought he was an idiot but I do think his persona is slimy in a used car salesman kind of way. Incidntly I don't think that is how he is in real life because he is well liked by most of his colleagues both Republican and Democrat.

Biden is one of the most respected people in DC regarding international affairs.

Idiots don't chair the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Another really stupid statement from Sarge.

I can't help recalling what OldTrenchFighter used to say about Biden. He actually met him.

Joe is not an idiot, it's an idiotic statement to say so. He is inarticulate at times, and too emotional. But he's basically a good guy who knows a lot, and who has been in Washington longer than he should be.

I have a few friends that are very similar to Joe. Very smart, incredibly articulate, but they just don't know when to shut their mouth and so they say some outrageously funny things from time to time. Joe is smart, and he will be a tough debate opponent. I honestly don't know what to expect from Ryan. I would like to think he matches up well against Biden from what I have seen, but I would have thought Obama would have matched up well against Romney and that was a bloodbath.

A lot of depends on the momentum of the debate. Romney grabbed the momentum early in the previous debate and never let go...The VP debate will depend greatly on who can define the argument. That is really what these are all about anyway. They aren't debating policy, it is who can define the battlefield. WHoever gets to define the battlefield is going to win because they have created an environment in which only the definer can win. Romney set up a no win environment for Obama and he was never able to escape it (nor appeared interested in escaping). These debates are always so fascinating to me from a strategy standpoint.

They should give Ryan half of the debate so he can go through the "math" behind his budget.

He'll be sure to point out they will be using none of his ideas, and all of Romney's plans.....which plans are those? Good question.

Obama went to the moderator's wedding...

:willynilly:

Biden's gonna bring his A game, Ryan better be prepared.

Ryan is supposed to be the GOP's go to guy for events like this.

I hope he tries to do the math....CNN reported that if you closed all tax loopholes (including mortgage interest, charitable donations and others), it would only total $1.7 T over ten years. Thus the only way not to explode the deficit would be to raise taxes on the middle class.

BTW "expanding the tax base" (making poor and lower middle class pay taxes) leads directly to greater unemployment as every dollar you take from them is less consumption and fewer jobs.

If this happens, our economy will take at least a decade to recover for the first year or two of it.

It has been. It is just a question of degree at this point.

I appreciate your willingness to be honest about your opinion (say hi to BeachBumDeac for me, will ya?), but betwixt the debate debacling and what is fairly evidently a dishonest (at best) accounting of the murder for four Americans in Libya, I think people are getting the excuses they've been looking for to abandon the S.S. Hope&Change.

Romney is putting his best foot forward right about the time that Obama is stumbling. Lots of miles left to go, in my opinion.

Back