• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thursday's Debate: Discussion Thread

I am more undecided than 90% of the people in this country. I can't tolerate the Republican platform on the vast majority of social issues. On the other hand, there are numerous planks of the Democratic platform I also cannot stand. I will probably vote Romney, but I will almost certainly vote Democrat in my local house of representatives race. I am registered as an independent, and I would guess that over the 10+ years I have been voting that I have voted Republican 70-75%% and Democrat 25-30%

Having said all that, Biden came across as an arrogant douche in the debate. Ryan came across as that guy who has big ideas, but no clue about any of the details or how to implement them. Neither of them slammed the door on the other.

Then having a Republican making Supreme Court nominations should scare you.

Despite my philosophical hatred of the mortgage interest deduction, as a home owner, there is no way in hell I'd ever vote for Romney/Ryan. Their tax plan is just vague enough to scare the hell out me (and my deduction).

i'm not sure what other deductions you have or how much money you make, but that mortgage interest deduction probably isnt helping you much past the standard deduction.

i'm not sure what other deductions you have or how much money you make, but that mortgage interest deduction probably isnt helping you much past the standard deduction.

Interestingly, I've never taken it before so I have no idea. Will do some googling.

Just wanted to drop in and say that I never watch Fox News, but the great beacon of political truth that is Facebook has told me that a Wake girl who graduated several years behind me will be on Hannity as "Paul Ryan Girl" within the next hour, and she thanks everyone for the support and "prays it has some positive impact."

Facepalm

Interestingly, I've never taken it before so I have no idea. Will do some googling.

Between mortgage interest, real estate taxes, state income tax, and charitable contributions, I will be shocked if you don't save a significant amount itemizing. You bought your house at a better interest rate time than me, but I had over $30,000 of itemized deductions last year - more than double the married standard deduction.

Between mortgage interest, real estate taxes, state income tax, and charitable contributions, I will be shocked if you don't save a significant amount itemizing. You bought your house at a better interest rate time than me, but I had over $30,000 of itemized deductions last year - more than double the married standard deduction.

you must live in a half-million dollar house! or give a ton to charity

congrats either way.

Last edited:
holy shit you must live in a million dollar house! or give a ton to charity

It's not that hard to have that many itemized deductions with mortgage interest, state taxes, personal exemption, student loan interest, charitable giving, among others.

It's not that hard to have that many itemized deductions with mortgage interest, state taxes, personal exemption, student loan interest, charitable giving, among others.

yeah i edited that to say half million dollar house.

i would imagine most lawyers on the boards make too much to take the student loan interest deduction.

my point is, people that can take advantage of the mortgage interest deduction are usually well off or are so stupid that they have a house they cant afford. both are good reasons to get rid of the deduction.

eta: i would have paid about $2000 more in taxes last year if the deduction didnt exist

Last edited:
you must live in a half-million dollar house! or give a ton to charity

congrats either way.

Neither, really. Under 300K mortgage (and sadly a house worth less than that - damn buying in 2008), but pretty high property taxes in City of Atlanta. Mortgage interest and real estate taxes put me over 21K in itemized deductions alone. I give a respectable amount to MSD and other charities, but that doesn't compare to any one of mortgage interest, RE taxes and state income tax.

And for the record, as a policy matter, I think the interest deduction should be eliminated or severely limited - I just know it would not be a good thing for my personal tax bill.

Last edited:
Neither, really. Under 300K mortgage (and sadly a house worth less than that - damn buying in 2008), but pretty high property taxes in City of Atlanta. Mortgage interest and real estate taxes put me over 21K in itemized deductions alone. I give a respectable amount to MSD and other charities, but that doesn't compare to any one of mortgage interest, RE taxes and state income tax.

And for the record, as a policy matter, I think the interest deduction should be eliminated or severely limited - I just know it would not be a good thing for my personal tax bill.

fair enough

Is this thread doubling up for the next debate?

Perot endorses Romney. Game changer!

Hildog falls on the sword. Game changer!

Nice. And what are these "charitable contributions" of which you speak??

I keed.

eta: Just ran the numbers... and yeah, I got up around $20k pretty quickly with total guestimates on some of them.

Last edited:
Back