• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Issa to hold hearings on job numbers

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
I don't think the numbers were fudged, I think they were misinterpreted. If you actually read the report you'll see these weren't good numbers and Wall Street's reacted accordingly.

It is pretty embarrassing for our government to misinterpret their own unemployment numbers.

It is pretty embarrassing for our government to misinterpret their own unemployment numbers.

Our you taking the position that Issa and Welch have or are you saying they are wrong?

Is it the government or the common folk who looked at the number and not read the details?

I'm sure Obama's economic advisors knew that the 7.8% number wasn't indicative of an improvement of employment in the US but also realized it could be politicized. The "common folk" by and large don't care about these numbers as their lives are unchanged by numbers. Traders looked at these figures and largely ignored them because they aren't representative.

Issa presided over an "emergency" hearing yesterday over the Libya incident despite the fact that Congress was on recess with the sole purpose of embarrassing the Obama Administration and State Department. In the process, Rep. Issa managed to blow the CIA's cover and expose confidential security information for the world to see on CSPAN.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...32b-11e2-ba83-a7a396e6b2a7_story.html?hpid=z2

Rep. Issa has to be the biggest partisan witch hunter I have ever seen. Any oversight hearing is directly aimed at embarrassing or attempting to expose the Obama administration.

RJ - I don't know enough about this yet to be honest. Don't know what they are saying. Pretty clear they are pursuit it for political matters, but that doesn't mean it is a useless investigation. They are also hammering the Libya thing for political reasons, but that is clearly a worthwhile endeavor.

If there is any fudging of the numbers though it will complete one if the most improbable political comebacks in recent history. I haven't read up on much of this yet though so I am going to abstain from taking a stance at this time.

The number of new unemployment claims went down by 30,000 last week.

From the Washington Post:

"Former General Electric CEO Jack Welch is getting a lot of attention for an unfounded accusation that the Obama administration somehow cooked the positive jobs numbers issued Friday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

As it happens, there is a historical example of improper political pressure on the BLS by a U.S. president: Republican Richard M. Nixon.
As first recounted by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein in their 1976 book “Final Days,” the frequently paranoid president — who had a history of anti-Semitic outbursts — became obsessed with the idea that a “Jewish cabal” at BLS was undermining him by issuing negative labor numbers. Nixon ordered his subordinates to tally up the number of Democrats and Jews in the agency.

“There’s a Jewish cabal, you know, running through this,” Nixon fumed in July 1971 to his chief of staff, H.R. “Bob” Haldeman, according to White House tapes. “…And they all — they all only talk to Jews. Now, but there it is. But there’s the BLS staff. Now how the hell do you ever expect us to get anything from that staff, the raw data, let alone what the poor guys have to say [inaudible] that isn’t gonna be loaded against us? You understand?”
According to journalistic accounts and documents, the task fell to Nixon aide Fred Malek, who first counted high-ranking Democrats at BLS using voter registration lists and then identified employees with “Jewish-sounding” names. He reported the resulting statistics to Nixon in a 1971 letter that became known as the “Jew-counting” memo, identifying 25 Democrats and 13 employees who “fit the other demographic criterion that was discussed.”

There is continued disagreement on how many targeted employees were demoted and Malek’s precise role in the affair. In 1988, Woodward and Post reporter Walter Pincus reported that two Jewish officials had been removed from their posts and shuffled off to less-important jobs at Labor during the episode. Malek — who quit his new post at the Republican National Committee on the day The Post’s story appeared — expressed regret for conducting a tally of Jews but denied a role in any demotions.

In 2007, Timothy Noah of Slate publicized a previously unreleased 1971 memo from Malek suggesting he was much more closely involved in a BLS purge then he had claimed, outlining a reorganization that resulted in the demotions of at least four high-ranking Jewish employees.The Nixon Presidential Library and Museum has also posted some, but not all, documents related to the affair on its Web site.

Nixon’s machinations at BLS caused an uproar at the time – though the anti-Jewish motive was still unknown — and led to added security measures ensuring that statistical analysis was clearly walled off from politics, according to a BLS history published in 1985. Current security policies include heavy data encryption, daily confidentiality agreements and an eight-day security lockdown for economists in advance of each monthly report.

Malek has remained a prominent adviser to Republicans from George H.W. Bush to Sarah Palin, and is co-founder with former senator Norm Coleman (R-Minn.) of the American Action Network conservative group. He is now a top fundraiser for 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney."

Even Nixon couldn't get into the BLS to cook the books.

To think Obama did would mean that he's more corrupt and more capable of corruption than Nixon.

There are a lot of things that have been said about, but no rational opponent has accused him of such corruption.

At this point, you simply see any negative and give it some credence if it attacks Obama.

I've been wanting to smack him since the 80s when his voice on the stupid alarms was incredibly annoying.

This is a perfect example of why Americans hate Congress.

His old self would wear both of your bulldog mouth/poodle asses out. Sit down.

Especially if they owned a car he wanted to steal. You know, back in his "old self" days when he was lying about his work history and getting busted for carrying concealed weapons.

You'll defend any moron as long as they have an (R) behind their name.

Who needs "gotcha" media when we have "gotcha" representatives?

I think we could get a group of third graders to behave in a more civil manor than ALL these clowns.

I would love to punch Issa in the fucking neck. Detestable human being.

We had to deal w/ ratface Waxman.

I love Issa, hope he keeps it up. The media isn't gonna do the job, so he is...

Why you hatin?

homeland2.png

We had to deal w/ ratface Waxman.

I love Issa, hope he keeps it up. The media isn't gonna do the job, so he is...

Waxman NEVER did anything like what Issa is doing. He NEVER held anyone in Contempt of Congress. He never refused to allow the minority to have people testify.

Waxamn is very liberal, but no reasonable person can compare him to Issa.

Back