• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CNN admits they oversampled Republicans in their post debate poll

BobStackFan4Life

Reaction score
That damn liberal media strikes again!
SPECIAL NOTE OF CAUTION #2: The sample of debate-watchers in this poll were 31% Democratic and 33% Republican. That indicates that the sample of debate watchers is about eight points more Republican than an average CNN poll of all Americans, so the respondents were more Republican than the general public.
http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/pollingcenter/polls/3262

It might explain why their poll is so out of line with the CBS poll, which has Biden as the clear winner.

"That fucking liberal media"

You realize this can be spun into they didn't like the numbers favoring a republican so they made an excuse, right?

I realize any number can be spun into just about any talking point.

You really think there are 8% more Dems than Pubs?

Among people that actually are engaged and vote? Doubtful.

More than "oversampling", this could indicate that a lot of Democrats weren't paying attention to the debate and more Republicans were.

In the end, it wasn't an event that's going to make much difference. VP debates rarely do. The only one to move the needle really ever was Cheney's rout of Lieberman. Bentsen hammered Quayle into mush, but it didn't matter.

Well, there was James Stockdale, who personally shit-canned Perot's race and made for great SNL fodder.

Gergen commented that rarely do sitting VP's actually get a real challenge and last night was a draw, so Ryan's got that going for him...which is nice.

Gergen commented that rarely do sitting VP's actually get a real challenge and last night was a draw, so Ryan's got that going for him...which is nice.

This is my favorite post-debate schlock so far. "Ryan didn't lose all that bad... which means he must've won!"

Any poll that has a high % of independents I would tend to think would lean more D than R. The right wing has had the entire tea party movement of people separating themselves from the traditional Pub party. I would suspect a lot of these people identify themselves as Ind.

I do have to wonder if that strategy will actually work against Romney in the next debate. In debate one, expectations were pretty low, so his strong showing had everyone in a tizzy. This time around, people will be looking for a similar blowout victory, and if he doesn't get it he could come back down to earth a bit.

If the questioners and Obama hold Romney's feet to the fire, he will mess up like he did in multiple GOP debates. Obama screwed the pooch in the first debate by not doing so.

Back