• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Put the White Back in the White House

everything else that happened to Obama - being raised in a lower middle class household by a single mother,

I'd be surprised if this was the case. His mom had a PhD. Not sure what lower middle class is in Jakarta anyway.

being raised for periods by his grandparents,

By choice at one juncture.

experiencing racism from the native Hawaiians and white Hawaiians, not to mention whites on the mainland every time he walked down the street

Speculative.

- somehow vanishes from his experience and makes him like Romney and McCain - privileged from day one, knowing they were going to be wealthy and/or powerful men from day fucking one and everyone around them making sure it happened. are you serious?

Yeah when I think McCain, I think privileged...I wish I were so privileged as to get skin cancer from having been a POW in Vietnam.

You're challenging RJ for the most delusional person on the board.

I guess growing up in Jakarta and Hawaii does have to be considered similar to blacks having the hose turned on them in Alabama in that they both did happen on planet Earth, a place I'm not sure you reside.

A PhD in anthropology doesn't mean you're not lower middle class. Heck, in economic anthropology, it means you like being lower middle class enough to study it.

Obama certainly wasn't poor but who gives a shit?

If you like what he's done in the last four years, vote for him. If you don't like what he's done, vote for Romney.

If you like what he's done in the last four years, vote for him. If you don't like what he's done, vote for Romney.

Another option: I don't mind what Obama has done. I just think Romney could do better.

Another option: I don't mind what Obama has done. I just think Romney could do better.

I just look at Romney and see Bush policies on steroids. No thank you. The Big Government Social Conservative takeover of the party during the past decade just means I'll keep punching D until the right gets their house in order.

W was far more honest than Romney has ever been. If there was ever a Manchurian Candidate (Sinise version), it's Romney.

He is totally dishonest. I don't agree with a lot of what people like Ayotte, Portman, Daniels or others say, but at least they are honest. Diogenes would commit suicide within five minutes of meeting Romney.

Yeah when I think McCain, I think privileged...I wish I were so privileged as to get skin cancer from having been a POW in Vietnam.

You're challenging RJ for the most delusional person on the board.

I guess growing up in Jakarta and Hawaii does have to be considered similar to blacks having the hose turned on them in Alabama in that they both did happen on planet Earth, a place I'm not sure you reside.

McCain's father and grandfather were both four-star Admirals you dumbass. Do you know what that means? You compare that to the biracial son of a PhD with no wealth, power, or influence over jack shit? talk about delusional.

Why does it bother you that Obama's life experience is closer to an average or typical American's than McCain or Romney? All I was saying was that many voters see this as an indication that the candidate has their best interests in mind, and that the candidate can relate to their issues on a personal level, and you and your cohorts are having a shit fit over it. Why?

Adv. 1. closer - (comparative of `near' or `close') within a shorter distance; "come closer, my dear!"; "they drew nearer"; "getting nearer to the true explanation"
nearer, nigher
comparative, comparative degree - the comparative form of an adjective or adverb; "`faster' is the comparative of the adjective `fast'"; "`less famous' is the comparative degree of the adjective `famous'"; "`more surely' is the comparative of the adverb `surely'"

Obama certainly wasn't poor but who gives a shit?

Or vote for someone else. Either way, it's got nothing to do with having like experiences as a mixed race kid growing up among a zillion other mixed race kids in Jakarta, or among a Pacific Islander minority (as were whites) in Hawaii. All this is deflection because the liberals can't advocate for their candidate on accomplishments.

McCain's father and grandfather were both four-star Admirals you dumbass. Do you know what that means? You compare that to the biracial son of a PhD with no wealth, power, or influence over jack shit? talk about delusional.

It apparently means you can still start a military career as the lowest ranking officer like every other officer does, get captured and be tortured for years that you'll never get back suffering injuries that you'll never get rid of. You will be hard pressed to find a part of McCain's life where who his father and grandfather were was critical. He went to the Naval Academy as many others do, he still got treated like crap and maybe worse because of who he was, he went back to service, got active in the GOP, retired when he couldn't pass his flight physical anymore because of his war injuries.

There were people who were treated worse (like James Stockdale's Alcatraz Gang), but not many. And I doubt many people who voted for him even knew who his parents were, since he ran in Arizona where I presume Navy people don't spend much time. It would also be a violation of military code for his family to use their military rank in advertising McCain, and since I've never heard any complaints to that effect, I presume it didn't happen.

So what did McCain being a military brat and admiral's son and grandson mean? Well it meant he moved around from place to place, like any other military brat, went to base schools that at that time were of highly varying quality, like any other military brat. It meant his grandpa went off to fight WWII when Johnny was barely old enough to remember, and died just days after the Japanese surrender. It meant he lost 5 years with his dad and a lot more time after the war, no doubt -- the military doesn't tend to be forgiving where workload is concerned. And it meant that his dad had to issue bombing orders on Hanoi knowing his son was there.

Typical? Yes and no. Hardly the only family to be affected by war at that time (or today), but not many people have friendly fire going off in their vicinity as a tortured POW. So I guess in that you might have part of a point. But would you trade with him? I sure as shit wouldn't. And I'd take an officer like McCain's experience working with and leading people of all shapes, sizes and colors over Obama's experience living a cloistered life in Hawaii, Indonesia and private schools, and then going slumming in Chicago as a "community organizer." Obama knew he had issues of this sort, that's why he went to Columbia to try to find where he fit in as a black person...he certainly didn't live a life in any way typical to the majority of black Americans. It should be noted that he largely failed in that, and according to Maraniss wound up having his Pakistani friends move to New York to hang out with him.

If Clinton was America's first black president, Obama might have been America's first black white (or black white Asian?) president.

Why does it bother you that Obama's life experience is closer to an average or typical American's than McCain or Romney?

Have more Americans: A. Been to war or B. Lived in Indonesia? Hell I bet more have been to the Vietnam War alone. Your premise is completely wrong (of course). I'm not bothered by it because it just isn't true. Obama's life is about as dissimilar from most Americans as the others.

All I was saying was that many voters see this as an indication that the candidate has their best interests in mind, and that the candidate can relate to their issues on a personal level, and you and your cohorts are having a shit fit over it. Why?

Because it is completely false, that's why.

Last edited:
Only ten more threads about fringe elements that have nothing to do with the campaign and then you guys will have buried the Libya/debate clusterweek. Almost there...keep it up!

Didn't want 7 pages to go by overlooking the fact that jhmd posted this while maintaining his J. Wright avatar. We can assume the "h" in "jhmd" stands for hypocrite...?

Didn't want 7 pages to go by overlooking the fact that jhmd posted this while maintaining his J. Wright avatar. We can assume the "h" in "jhmd" stands for hypocrite...?

:bowrofl:

EVERYONE has destroyed Swofford on this thread, yet he thinks he's winning. Hilarious.

Just to make sure I'm following, a tortured (real torture, not getting a swirlie with full medical care under Red Cross supervision; but actual, no-kidding, not-an-RJ-ad-hominem-bedwetting-talking-point-torture, tortured) POW had it easy?

Back