• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Put the White Back in the White House

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...dential-candidate-former-news-photo/154020260

whitewe.jpg

Only ten more threads about fringe elements that have nothing to do with the campaign and then you guys will have buried the Libya/debate clusterweek. Almost there...keep it up!

We take the controversial position that we should punish premeditated murder. Plenty of room out here on the limb.

We take the controversial position that we shouldn't reward racism. Plenty of room out here on the limb.

We take the controversial position that we shouldn't reward racism. Plenty of room out here on the limb.

Then feel free to abandon de jure policies that the state should treat us differently based solely upon our skin color. Only one party supports actual, statutory discrimination in 2012.

Still waiting for your party to denounce this type of behavior from 08

You're still waiting on your facial hair to come in. Keep deluding yourself that your feel-good, do-bad policies give you any moral high ground at all. Look at the unemployment, dependency and single-family statistics in the black community, and tell me your party does anything other than cash in on the race-baiting annuity you guys have been working for the last fifty years.

If your party really wanted to help the black community (and why start now, with 90% of the vote already in hand?), you would insist on accountability in public schools, instead of job-security for your buddies in the teacher's unions. It is awfully telling that the left works so hard to insulate public schools from, what's it called?, oh yeah, RESULTS. Instead, you guys propagate policies that promote dependence over independence, and any time somebody gets out of line, the left does this.

Why work for a better life for someone, when you already have 90% of their vote? By all means, keep sounding the "Back in chains" dogwhistle. That's such much better than results.

Last edited:
What a dipshit response from jh. You're better than that. There is plenty of room to call the guy a fuckwad on this thread and then go on with your witch-hunt on any of the other threads.

You aren't a racist. But the right's refusal to recognize and deal with these wackos does not help the situation. A cynical person would believe it is related to the fact that the wacko is voting for your team, which means you will find reasons not to outwardly condemn him. Luckily for you, I am not a cynic.

What a dipshit response from jh. You're better than that. There is plenty of room to call the guy a fuckwad on this thread and then go on with your witch-hunt on any of the other threads.

You aren't a racist. But the right's refusal to recognize and deal with these wackos does not help the situation. A cynical person would believe it is related to the fact that the wacko is voting for your team, which means you will find reasons not to outwardly condemn him. Luckily for you, I am not a cynic.

He doesn't speak for me any other than Bill Ayers speaks for you. I am glad we can each give each other enough credit not to be defined by the outer, mangled, frayed feather of each political wing. I would hope that most people who get in to Wake are enlightened enough to be able to disagree without stereotyping each other. I didn't feel the need to disclaim someone I would never claim in the first place. I won't loudly notice that you fail to disclaim the truthers. I would rather spend our time talking about RESULTS of mainstream policies, than the red herring of "at least we don't have XXXXX extremist", since I strongly believe that would be a whole lot better for the black community than the moral-high ground placebos they keep getting fed from the left.

What you dismiss as a witchhunt is a long-overdue discussion about how both parties fail the black community. One of my great regrets is that too many in my party fail to engage each and every vote. Autonomy and independence on a color-thing, they are universal. Tremendous disservice is visited upon that entire community, b/c the subsistence, vote-buying policies have wrecked the basic elements of that community. Look at the RESULTS of these policies, and that is a funny looking brand of "equality."

Taking a clear-eyed look at what isn't working isn't a witchhunt, unless of course you don't want to see what is hiding in plain sight. One of the most nuggets from Rick Santorum's campaign was the following:

SANTORUM: It’s very interesting, if you look at a study that was done by the Brookings Institute back in 2009, they determined that if Americans do three things, they can avoid poverty. Three things. Work, graduate from high school, and get married before you have children. Those three things…
(APPLAUSE)
SANTORUM: Those three things, if you do, according to Brookings, results in only 2 percent of people who do all those things ending up in poverty, and 77 percent above the national average in income. It’s a huge, huge opportunity for us.

EVERYBODY in America--with rare exceptions---would benefit from having fewer and fewer people make one of these preventable mistakes. Why there aren't near-daily calls to make sure our public policies are geared toward incentivizing these choices---rather than other options---is a national shame. I will leave it to the observer's conclusion whether or not your party has an incentive or disincentive for that to happen, and whether it is a coincidence that they do not act with those incentives in mind.

The question I wish to leave with you is, do the results match the rhetoric (anywhere other than the ballot box)?

Last edited:
Find a thread where people say bad stuff about Bill Ayers or truthers and I don't condemn those folks instead of changing the subject. Take your time, I'll wait.

Ok, now that we have confirmed that didn't happen, lets' talk about the rest of your post. Best I can tell, you and I share a fair amount of background and experiences. Live in the same town, attended the same schools (although in the opposite order) both attorneys, both dads. And so I feel confident in thinking we have been around similar people. I won't speak for you, but I grew up around a large number of racist folks (anti-Semitic and misogynistic as well). Nobody was man enough to say stuff in mixed company, but among similar looking people the ugly stuff just flew around. And not a one of those folks voted for Bill Clinton (or any Democratic nominee for President since). From the 'pubs I know, the party that freed the slaves became the party that thought Jim Crow freedom was enough. Now let's be clear, this isn't across the board by any stretch- but it is a statistically significant population of republicans. Combine those with the country-club republicans who just want to make sure their tax rate is as low as possible (and could give 2 shits about anybody- black or white- on the bottom part of the economy), and there is a pretty big chunk of 'pubs who aren't voting with the best interests of black folks in mind.

I don't dispute that black folks (or at least poor black folks) have it bad in this country. And I am sure there are unintended consequences of the Great Society that haven't helped certain folks on the lower end of the economic spectrum. The difference between two of us is that I recognize that the only thing worse for most black folks than the policies of the Democratic party are the policies of the Republican party.

And stop with the platitudes- everybody wants accountability in schools. The problem, as always, is what is the appropriate way to measure performance. NCLB was and is an abject failure at that. I don't trust kids to be protected by making the principal the judge and jury of the schools, and I'm sure you would agree you don't want either John Tedesco or Kevin Hill making that decision either. I generally think that a system that combines parts that include test scores, parent surveys, principal evaluations and other teacher evaluations should work, but even that is subject to pretty major abuse.

One final point to grow on- you seem awfully focused on the purported advantages black folks supposedly receive in this world and the supposed failures of the Great Society. At no point have you ever recognized the one of the biggest problems effecting poor black people today- the drug war. Black communities have been decimated because "law and order" elected officials have repeatedly over-criminalized drug use and imprisoned multiple generations of black me as a result. Advocate to fix that problem.

jhmd wants us to stop stereotyping each other?

That's rich since it would invalidate about 95% of his posts.

Find a thread where people say bad stuff about Bill Ayers or truthers and I don't condemn those folks instead of changing the subject. Take your time, I'll wait.

Ok, now that we have confirmed that didn't happen, lets' talk about the rest of your post. Best I can tell, you and I share a fair amount of background and experiences. Live in the same town, attended the same schools (although in the opposite order) both attorneys, both dads. And so I feel confident in thinking we have been around similar people. I won't speak for you, but I grew up around a large number of racist folks (anti-Semitic and misogynistic as well). Nobody was man enough to say stuff in mixed company, but among similar looking people the ugly stuff just flew around. And not a one of those folks voted for Bill Clinton (or any Democratic nominee for President since). From the 'pubs I know, the party that freed the slaves became the party that thought Jim Crow freedom was enough. Now let's be clear, this isn't across the board by any stretch- but it is a statistically significant population of republicans. Combine those with the country-club republicans who just want to make sure their tax rate is as low as possible (and could give 2 shits about anybody- black or white- on the bottom part of the economy), and there is a pretty big chunk of 'pubs who aren't voting with the best interests of black folks in mind.

I don't dispute that black folks (or at least poor black folks) have it bad in this country. And I am sure there are unintended consequences of the Great Society that haven't helped certain folks on the lower end of the economic spectrum. The difference between two of us is that I recognize that the only thing worse for most black folks than the policies of the Democratic party are the policies of the Republican party.

And stop with the platitudes- everybody wants accountability in schools. The problem, as always, is what is the appropriate way to measure performance. NCLB was and is an abject failure at that. I don't trust kids to be protected by making the principal the judge and jury of the schools, and I'm sure you would agree you don't want either John Tedesco or Kevin Hill making that decision either. I generally think that a system that combines parts that include test scores, parent surveys, principal evaluations and other teacher evaluations should work, but even that is subject to pretty major abuse.

One final point to grow on- you seem awfully focused on the purported advantages black folks supposedly receive in this world and the supposed failures of the Great Society. At no point have you ever recognized the one of the biggest problems effecting poor black people today- the drug war. Black communities have been decimated because "law and order" elected officials have repeatedly over-criminalized drug use and imprisoned multiple generations of black me as a result. Advocate to fix that problem.

Let's have that debate. It is my belief that what works in many communities(two parent households, high expectations for effort and personal responsibity paired with opportunity) works in every community. Frankly, I can't conceive of when low expectations, single parent households and the false comfort of dependence lead to anything but....well, dependence. What are the "policies of the Democratic party" you speak so highly of? Multigenerational, cyclical subsistence programs? An open-borders policy that has flooded the labor market and denied opportunities to the existing workforce? Coddling the symptoms of failing public schools to combat any efforts at accountability by fluffing the teacher's unions? Again, what are the empirical results of all these feel-good policies?

My party is already losing 90% of the vote in that community. They deserve much, much better than they've received from my party (and yours too, FWIW). I think it's worth asking the question on how we can do better. It's possible that my motives are purely political (and I'll pause while many of the posters on this board reassure themselves that that must---must!---be the case*), but it's also possible that I believe that the best way to help somebody isn't multigenerational, cyclical dependence; it's in fact the best social welfare program of all: an American job. I don't see how these Democratic Party policies promote anything other than more dependence, at the mailbox and the ballot box. I miss their incentive (and actions) to make things better.

* If we took away all of the false sense of moral superiority and 90% of the vote, what would be the fun in being a so-called progressive?

Fuck, I totally didn't realize that when programs for the very poorest among us are removed, jobs ride in on unicorns and avail themselves to the former recipients.

Wait....I'm seeing the light again...happens every few months when jhmd goes on his "whitey liberals are making blacky poor with enetlements to fool his simple mind into voting liberal" screed.

Good shit

Wait....I'm seeing the light again...happens every few months when jhmd goes on his "whitey liberals are making blacky poor with enetlements to fool his simple mind into voting liberal" screed.

Good shit

Not that I don't appreciate a few more bars on the familiar bugle of retreat, but please tell me what government programs are required to: not get pregnant, finish high school and work. It ain't rocket surgery, it's worked in other communities for hundreds of years. Quit acting like we have to reinvent the wheel. The black family was in tact before the do-gooders took over.

If you're going to shout down other ideas, what's yours (I'm referring as much to the he-bitch tagger here)? You don't have any...do you? Then again, you don't need to change a thing. 90% of the vote apparently takes the guilt away.

Last edited:
Back