• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Put the White Back in the White House

Just to make sure I'm following, a tortured (real torture, not getting a swirlie with full medical care under Red Cross supervision; but actual, no-kidding, not-an-RJ-ad-hominem-bedwetting-talking-point-torture, tortured) POW had it easy?

The military is a glamorous life. I mean look at all the movies about it!

The ignorance on this thread is stunning. Obama's a typical American black guy and McCain is a privileged, pampered elite. Gotta be kidding me.

Even now, there are guys working in oil fields that make more money than an admiral, and military pay is a lot better than it used to be.

The military is a glamorous life. I mean look at all the movies about it!

MY ignorance on this thread is stunning. Obama's a typical American black guy and McCain is a privileged, pampered elite. Gotta be kidding me.

FIFY

Swofford is either being purposefully obtuse, or he is painfully naive.

John Mccain's grandfather and father were both 4-star Admirals. His father was the commander of the Pacific Fleet. He was very well connected in Washington, and advised Presidents and Senate committees. He had a fucking ship named after him. And they were very well-paid, and had a certain degree of wealth and financial comfort. They owned a lot of property, etc. They were all three brave men whom I admire for their courage and service. I am the son of a disabled veteran myself, and I know many vets from the VA hospital personally, some of my dad's best friends. I hold them in the highest regard.

But John McCain III was guaranteed - guaranteed - tremendous opportunities by his very birth. Can you understand that Swofford, my boy? You cannot be born into such a prestigious, well-connected, and powerful family and not be guaranteed those opportunities. All he had to do was not fuck up (too badly) as a kid, and go to the Naval Academy. His service was very brave, and I have never disparaged him for it. I think he is a fucking badass. If you think I am arguing bravery or service, you are missing the point.

Barack Obama was not born into this level of opportunity, as are very few Americans. He was also not born into any wealth whatsoever. Therefore, my premise is absolutely correct - Obama's experience is closer to that of a "typical" American than McCain (or Romney). The guy didn't really have shit when it came to wealth and opportunity by his birth. *Edit - furthermore his skin color, and to some degree his Arabic name, were an added hindrance to his experience. What level of hindrance can be argued, certainly, but I have little doubt that he experienced some level of difficulty on his journey through childhood, adolescence, and adulthood as a result of these traits - a characteristic he shares with many black Americans.

Last edited:
If McCain wasn't a McCain, he would have washed after his first flight test failure and certainly after his second and third failures. No one should have ever been given a plane who was as bad a pilot as McCain.

If McCain wasn't a McCain, he would have washed after his first flight test failure and certainly after his second and third failures. No one should have ever been given a plane who was as bad a pilot as McCain.

Let RJ Karl announce who's flying cargo planes full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong

Back