• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tuesday Debate Thread: Most Important this Cycle?

new USAT/Gallup has Romney up 51-46 with LVs in swing states. (which is overly nebulous, since that's not how the race is decided) think that is too generous for Romney, as poll was in the field for too long, and more of the days were closer to debate than further from it. but it will get some headlines.

The left got overconfident with single digit poll leads. That is a nice lead, but one major event can wipe that away.

I hate the Townhall style of debate. It feels so forced and contrived..."man of the people" bullshit.

Have polls always been so important and widely scrutinized? Maybe I just never paid much attention to them but this election cycle it seems people want to just use them to elect the president. BCS president elect here we come.

Have polls always been so important and widely scrutinized? Maybe I just never paid much attention to them but this election cycle it seems people want to just use them to elect the president. BCS president elect here we come.

YES. I remember in 2000 I would visit the Battleground Poll website all the time. They were the Nate Silver of that election.

Chris is on point, one event can swing stuff. See 2000, Bush DUI. TONS of churchies stayed home.

YES. I remember in 2000 I would visit the Battleground Poll website all the time. They were the Nate Silver of that election.

Chris is on point, one event can swing stuff. See 2000, Bush DUI. TONS of churchies stayed home.

But not the Catholics, amirite?

It always turns into a horse race by this stage where polls, any slip ups, any kind of past issues that come out, etc. can all swing things. I think that there are more undecided voters left than both parties want to think that there are.

I'm still voting for Obama because Romney is just straight scum, but I was was impressed by his first debate.

Regardless of Obama's debate prep if Romney can't beat Obama on economic issues then he doesn't deserve to win anyway. Dude spent his life in finance, at a very high level.

I'm part of the 47% he thinks is freeloading. Even though I pay a much higher rate than he does.

Now wait a minute. Mitt said he was wrong. It's part of the new Mitt. Or as Brother Bill says, "Wow, here's old moderate Mitt. Where ya been, boy?"

I'm excited for the Fox News spin if Obama happens to win the debate. Their spin on Biden's thrashing of Ryan was epic.

Agreed. And I think Obama will right his ship in the next debate, and people will remember the two weeks between the debates 1-2 as the low point of his campaign. IMO, Romney needed a clear lead going into the next debate, because the pendulum of public opinion likes to swing, and Obama is almost certain to look light years better than he did the first time, which will likely shift the polls a few ticks back in Obama's direction. If Obama at least draws the next two debates, he'll still eke out an electoral win, IMO. Mainly because I just can't see Romney overcoming so much to put Ohio truly back into play.

Obama just needs to show up as an engaged advocate for his positions, and be able to effectively cross-examine Romney on Romney's weak spots. Use some offense. He doesn't need a clear "win" and likely won't get one. The spin police are going to obliterate an objective scoring of the event. The important thing is that he gets his swagger back and gives as good as he gets. He does that, and he'll have done enough. All just my opinion.

I think he did a little better than this. Seemed a clear win. Big night for the president.

Back