• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ohio miners say Obama ad tells lies

The spokesman said the miners didn't have to show up for the press conference, and indeed some who signed their statement didn't, which would seem to underline that statement.

In the statement, the spokesman says there are more than 500 signatures.

This site:

http://mines.findthedata.org/l/46792/Century-Mine

Lists the avg. number of employees at 476. So 500+ would seem to be pretty much everyone saying they stand behind what was said in the press conference, and assert that they were not forced to attend the rally.

I'm telling you what the COO said. He said there were managers that told the employees that attendance was mandatory. Is he lying or are the employees lying? If you're told by your manager that attendance is mandatory, you show up. It sounds like not all the employees had managers that told them attendance was mandatory, but some did. Possible that some of the petition signers believed that signing the petition was mandatory as well?

I'm telling you what the COO said. He said there were managers that told the employees that attendance was mandatory. Is he lying or are the employees lying? If you're told by your manager that attendance is mandatory, you show up. It sounds like not all the employees had managers that told them attendance was mandatory, but some did. Possible that some of the petition signers believed that signing the petition was mandatory as well?

Ok so either you believe 1 guy was misquoted or misunderstood, that a few managers did something they shouldn't have, or you believe 500 people not generally associated with politics lied and held a press conference about it.

Regardless, this should not have been reported as fact by the mainstream media back in August. That much is now very clear.

So if pretty much everyone at the mine signed the statement, where are the people that claimed to have been forced to be there? And how many were there?

It's a much bigger stretch to say these 500 are now lying about having been forced to attend the original event than to think the story was wrong or misreported or misunderstood in the first place.

Last edited:
Absolutely they would if their bosses ordered them to do so.

We've seen multiple asshole owners of companies threaten workers if they didn't vote for Romney there would be layoffs.

It fits perfectly with the original story.

Ok so either you believe 1 guy was misquoted or misunderstood, that a few managers did something they shouldn't have, or you believe 500 people not generally associated with politics lied and held a press conference about it.

Regardless, this should not have been reported as fact by the mainstream media back in August. That much is now very clear.

So if pretty much everyone at the mine signed the statement, where are the people that claimed to have been forced to be there? And how many were there?

It's a much bigger stretch to say these 500 are now lying about having been forced to attend the original event than to think the story was wrong or misreported or misunderstood in the first place.

I don't think 95% of the people who signed the petition felt they were forced. I think they are Mitt homers and loved going. According to the COO, there are 800+ salaried workers working for Murray energy. Is everyone who signed the letter an hourly century mine coal worker, or are there signatures from other Murray energy works on the letter? Could some of the workers possibly have signed the letter because they felt forced to do so?

Absolutely they would if their bosses ordered them to do so.

We've seen multiple asshole owners of companies threaten workers if they didn't vote for Romney there would be layoffs.

It fits perfectly with the original story.

Problem comes when you think about how they would go about verifying that in order to exact punishment.

Elections have costs and consequences.

And this has absolutely nothing to do with the miner story. This was about a rally, no one has said anything about them being asked to vote for Romney. It doesn't seem like many of them need help with that.

I don't think 95% of the people who signed the petition felt they were forced. I think they are Mitt homers and loved going. According to the COO, there are 800+ salaried workers working for Murray energy. Is everyone who signed the letter an hourly century mine coal worker, or are there signatures from other Murray energy works on the letter? Could some of the workers possibly have signed the letter because they felt forced to do so?

I'm sure not everyone that works at Century Mine is hourly, no. Only four of 9 Murray sites are in Ohio, so a number of those salaried people are likely not even at Century Mine.

I've got other things to do beside play this game. Miners are not in the habit of holding press conferences to respond to political stuff. Obviously there's a reason they felt they should here. They say they have over 500 signatures, and I'm sure the letter and the signatures will be scrutinized by the media they're calling out.

You're saying that 500 people are lying and A POLITICIAN and THE MEDIA are telling the truth? I'll take my chances with the miners.

Problem comes when you think about how they would go about verifying that in order to exact punishment.

Elections have costs and consequences.

And this has absolutely nothing to do with the miner story. This was about a rally, no one has said anything about them being asked to vote for Romney. It doesn't seem like many of them need help with that.

The first and last sentences in my post directly addressed this situaion:

"Absolutely they would if their bosses ordered them to do so. "

and

"It fits perfectly with the original story"

If the employees were threatened the first time and then got busted and threatened to recant, it fit perfectly.

Any asshole who make being a prop mandatory would definitely threaten their jobs a second time.

Miners are not in the habit of holding press conferences to respond to political stuff.

Those miners fucking loved the attention. If that wasn't obvious from the presser, I don't know what was. As I said, I don't think the vast majority felt forced at all because the wanted to go, but the COO said there were managers who said attendance was mandatory, and no worker was paid for the day. Pretty sure the Obama ads said that the workers were told that attendance was mandatory and the workers were not paid for the day. Seems to gel with what the COO said, right?

Any asshole who make being a prop mandatory would definitely threaten their jobs a second time.

Why wouldn't they make all the miners show up then? To throw folks off the scent? To make it look like he's offering free will but really he's going to pre-fill out all of their absentee ballots?

And you talk about me or other people being tinfoil hats...sheesh.

Again, my confidence that I'm on the right side is buttressed by the fact that you're trying to argue.

Those miners fucking loved the attention. If that wasn't obvious from the presser, I don't know what was. As I said, I don't think the vast majority felt forced at all because the wanted to go, but the COO said there were managers who said attendance was mandatory, and no worker was paid for the day. Pretty sure the Obama ads said that the workers were told that attendance was mandatory and the workers were not paid for the day. Seems to gel with what the COO said, right?

What do you keep talking about with this COO stuff? Did I miss an article or do you know him personally?

So a group of anonymous miners reported that they were forced to miss work and attend a Romney rally, whom their company and boss supports. Now 2 months later they hold a company sponsored press conference saying they weren't forced to do anything? Do you all remember those times when you were a kid and you got in a fight or made fun of somebody at school and your mom made you go to their house and apologize? Were you really sorry?

I'm sure not everyone that works at Century Mine is hourly, no. Only four of 9 Murray sites are in Ohio, so a number of those salaried people are likely not even at Century Mine.

I've got other things to do beside play this game. Miners are not in the habit of holding press conferences to respond to political stuff. Obviously there's a reason they felt they should here. They say they have over 500 signatures, and I'm sure the letter and the signatures will be scrutinized by the media they're calling out.

You're saying that 500 people are lying and A POLITICIAN and THE MEDIA are telling the truth? I'll take my chances with the miners.

Stupid unions...

Wait, so everyone is just believing the miners who showed up to the presser? I know it was a lot of them, but they all seemed to have a huge hard on for Mitt and gladly went to his function, mandatory or not. The CFO of this mining company (the CEO is a huge Mitt donor and fundraiser and climate change denier by the way, which means he is batshit) said the following:

"Our managers communicated to our workforce that the attendance at the Romney event was mandatory, but no one was forced to attend". Aside from making zero sense, it certainly sounds like some of the workers had reason to believe attendance was mandatory, because, well, they were told attendance was mandatory. He also admitted that no one was paid that day.

It apparently makes sense to KillSwofford.....keep trying Swoffie

So someone makes a statement that seems self-contradictory, and that's evidence of ... something? You all believe whatever wacko conspiracy theory you want. I'm believing that when 500 blue collar coal miners put their name on a piece of paper that it means something to them.

ONW -- not sure if you're referring specifically to the Romney event or the UMWA in general, but Century is a non-union mine, and the UMWA has not and likely will not endorse a presidential candidate.

Back