• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sincere, nonpartisan observation. Looking for thoughts.

jhmd2000

Unacceptably correct
Reaction score
Does the President look tired of this process to anyone else? While I am no supporter of many of his policies, I find Obama the person a pretty sympathetic and likable figure. I mean, who among us doesn't like homebrewing and UNC basketball? :couch:

So...I say this not as a "Obama looks tired that means if you don't vote for Romney who are prejudiced against the well-rested!!!11" politics board fodder, but as a sincere observation that he (as would many, many others), after spending four years in D.C. in the middle of everyone else's problems, unreasonable expectations and visceral contempt, be "over" this gig. He's made more than several subtle lamentations and the tone of the campaign, and even his biggest supporters would concede he mailed the last debate prep in. I wonder if---after all the guy's been through---he might want to trade places with Bev Perdue.

Me? I wouldn't blame the guy at all. In 2012, that job might not be more than a four year hitch for anybody. Anybody else see/think the same thing?

I think we should do away with 2 presidential terms and elect presidents for a single 6 year term.

Your aviator really breathes confidence into your nonpartisan claim.

No way. The only thing that keeps them reined in the first term is having to run for a second.

I'd rather Congress be freed up to do their job rather than spending years trying to prevent the reelection of the president.

Your aviator really breathes confidence into your nonpartisan claim.

The fact that he has to declare his intentions as "sincere" and "nonpartisan" in the thread title doesn't reflect well on the poster.

I'd rather Congress be freed up to do their job rather than spending years trying to prevent the reelection of the president.

While I agree with your sentiment in general, this is Congress' problem, not the President's. If we didn't have term limits, we'd keep electing Bill Clinton until he died.

When was the last time a president didn't look exhausted after about the first year in office?

Hrm. Fair point as well. Not sure that would change much though if the term was 6 years rather than 4. The focus would just be on the party rather than the individual.

The fact that he has to declare his intentions as "sincere" and "nonpartisan" in the thread title doesn't reflect well on the poster.

It's a board full of a lot of really hostile people these days. I was hoping I could get a response that didn't impugn the chastity of my female relatives (you should see some of my rep*). Perhaps I shouldn't have set my expectations very high.

* Some of yall melon-fahmah's need Jesus.

Last edited:
When was the last time a president didn't look exhausted after about the first year in office?

This. All Presidents look exhausted. Most people would have snapped being put under the pressure that Presidents are.

It's a board full of a lot of really hostile people these days. I was hoping I could get a response that didn't impugn the chastity of my female relatives (you should see some of my rep*). Perhaps I shouldn't have set my expectations very high.

The tone of the vast majority of your posts definitely has nothing to do with that.

It's easier being gregarious when you're winning. Perhaps recent polls have put a damper on the victory parade?

All Presidents look exhausted after 4 years, but you may be on to something. There seemed to be an after-the-fact consensus that Bush Sr. didn't have his heart into being reelected in 1992. I think such a case is easier to make with him-- he'd been a CIA guy, an ambo, VP for 8 years, and then President for 4 years. He may very well have been ready to retire. But he also went up against a master pol, a viable 3rd party, and pissed off base, not to mention the perception of a bad economy. I think those things by themselves could be enough to beat a man down and make it seem like he just doesn't care.

Similarly, Obama has had to deal with a bad economy, winding down a couple of wars, turmoil in the middle east, a dysfunctional Congress on both sides of the aisle, etc... I mean, who'd want to deal with that shit for another 4 years? Still, Obama is younger than Bush was in 1992, and one would think he would have a bit more energy left. I think he does. I don't think he is content to lose this election.

Only a madman would ever want to be president. Horrible, thankless job.

Obama seemed emphatically reenergized tonight. Maybe he just needed a wake up call. The first debate likely took care of that.

Back