• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So the questions at the "Town Hall" are all going to be asked by undecided voters?

The debate is in Long Island, not the city. Long Island is a good mix of Republicans and Democrats, it's been cyclical. It's not the blue state that some are trying to portray. Should be a fair crowd to both, even if it is at a university. Very doubtful that most of the crowd will be Hofstra students. Even so, believe it or not, some, in fact many, students follow the Republican party.

OK here's the split. About 300 Hofstra students won the "lottery" to get in. There are 100 questioners per Newsday, (ETA: that ABC news link says about 80). There are about 1000 in the audience total. So that leaves about 300 for each party.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/...nto-mitt-romney-barack-obama-debate-1.4119424

There hasn't been an election yet since 18 year olds got the vote where the youth vote broke GOP (break even compared to the total percentage at best, even in 80 and 84), and the last two elections have seen the youth vote break more decisively for the Dems. And like I say, this isn't just any school -- it's a private school in a liberal part of the country. So pretty safe to say the Hofstra contingent will be left-leaning, making that true for the audience as a whole since the rest will be split evenly. Say somewhere around a 475/350/175 Obama/Romney/Undecided-other split -- including the 100 Gallup-selected undecideds. If it was at Farmingdale or Old Westbury, might be a different story. Decent chance. And Crowley is the one deciding which questions will be asked, and generally leading the discussion portion.

I don't really care. For me, the worse both candidates do, the better. I'm trying to get a 3rd party up to the 15% threshold to get into the debates...not that anyone would know this year how close it is since hardly any three-way polling is being conducted.

Last edited:
Just shut up and wallow in your ignorance, would you? I'm tired of getting baited into pointless pissing contests with you. You add nothing but the same liberal bullcrap that several other posters already have well covered.

It's not whining or excuse making at all. It's a simple analysis based on simple facts. There's nothing complicated about it.

I haven't even said if I think this is fair, unfair, good, bad, whatever...you've attributed all of that. I think it's fine because like I said, aside from the moderator, I think everything in the Florida sets up for Romney.

It's pretty bizarre that the town hall is where it is though. Stark County OH would have been perfect for it. It's already a nearly perfect microcosm of the country in terms of voting history.

you're sexy when you're mad

So totally unrelated topic: does anyone else find it amusing that people assume you are a republican (or a democrat)? I just got off the phone with a guy trying to sell me insurance who concluded with something like, "God willing we'll get a new president in there soon."

Dude. What?

So totally unrelated topic: does anyone else find it amusing that people assume you are a republican (or a democrat)? I just got off the phone with a guy trying to sell me insurance who concluded with something like, "God willing we'll get a new president in there soon."

Dude. What?

day one lesson one of sales training - no politics, no religion. what an idiot.

day one lesson one of sales training - no politics, no religion. what an idiot.

To compound matters, he's known me for about 3 years and hasn't figured out I'm a Dem. My former bosses are very conservative. I also don't work there anymore. I sometimes think because I'm a white guy at a big(ish) law firm people just assume I'm "one of them."

Dude. What?

I think Republicans believe Dems are only minorities, women, and the poor. No risk in saying something like that to a white male insurance customer.

I wanna know:

Where's My Stuff?

Anyone else expecting a lot of really stupid questions? No offense to any undecideds on here, but I just don't see how anyone who has been paying the slightest bit of attention can still be undecided. The differences are clear.

to the original poster, I am undecided at this point.

My options are

Obama, whose policies I align with more closely than the other candidates (although I don't think he's done a really great job), and my vote for him in NC probably means the most of the options against Romney winning

Gary Johnson, with whom i disagree on many/most issues, but I would be voting for the desire for a viable third party or a republican party that begins to move back toward the middle and reality.

no voting and settling for the lesser of two undesirable options - in the strain of WEB DuBois' Why I Won't Vote

mostly likely options are the first two, but I'm not really sure at this point - hence undecided

Gary Johnson, with whom i disagree on many/most issues, but I would be voting for the desire for a viable third party or a republican party that begins to move back toward the middle and reality.

mostly likely options are the first two, but I'm not really sure at this point - hence undecided
Aren't you deeply interested in things like social justice and income inequality from a Christian perspective? If you go third party you're gonna go with the Libertarians and not the Greens? Anyway, I think you're a very atypical case in terms of undecideds. Most of them are still trying to decide between Romney and Obama. And if you haven't made up your mind between those two at this point, I think it's safe to say you're a very low information voter who pretty much doesn't have a clue what the fuck is going on. Just to make clear, I'm talking about most of the people who are solely considering between Obama or Romney, so this is not applicable to you. Also, when it comes to voting third party, I think Chomsky makes the most sense, at least for me. He says vote third party, unless you live in a swing state.

Last edited:
I'm also undecided, but it doesn't really matter. Because I'm changing my state of residence I fall into a gap where I won't have Florida residency more than 29 days before the election.

Somehow, despite not being black, poor, or old I'm being disenfranchised.

BSF4L, could you stop being such a condescending prick. Just because you know who you're voting for doesn't mean you have to criticize other people. Not everybody is as old and jaded as you are.

Obama has been president for 4 years. Romney has been running for 6. What is there to be undecided about?

BSF4L, could you stop being such a condescending prick. Just because you know who you're voting for doesn't mean you have to criticize other people. Not everybody is as old and jaded as you are.

Hey douchebag, fuck you. If you haven't decided between Obama or Romney you really are a total fucking idiot. There's no condescension, just stating a fact. Sorry you're butthurt about it.

Aren't you deeply interested in things like social justice and income inequality from a Christian perspective? If you go third party you're gonna go with the Libertarians and not the Greens? Anyway, I think you're a very atypical case in terms of undecideds. Most of them are still trying to decide between Romney and Obama. And if you haven't made up your mind between those two at this point, I think it's safe to say you're a very low information voter who pretty much doesn't have a clue what the fuck is going on. Just to make clear, I'm talking about most of the people who are solely considering between Obama or Romney, so this is not applicable to you. Also, when it comes to voting third party, I think Chomsky makes the most sense, at least for me. He says vote third party, unless you live in a swing state.

I probably am more in line with the Green than Libertarians, but I think there may be a significant movement toward libertarians from more established folks on the right. I don't think a vote for Stein would do as much as voting Libertarian to promote the viability of a third party or prompt a shift in tone of a current party (and even still, that may be wishful thinking on my part). Voting for Johnson would be a vote against personal policy beliefs in favor of the need for reform of the system. Right now it's up to the president to sway me to vote for him. I'm probably 60/40 in favor of him right now.

If someone thinks Obama and Romney are both shitty candidates, that doesn't negate the fact there are still obvious differences between them. Even if you're choosing between the "lesser of two evils", your choice should be clear based on those differences. I think most people know someone who seems incapable of making a decision. When you go to a restaurant, after everyone else has ordered, that person is still studying the menu like it's the Rosetta Stone. Either the people who can't decide between Obama/Romney are those kind of pathologically indecisive folks or they just really haven't been paying attention.

Romney: "I'll just make up a number here..." we know you will Mitt.

Back