• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Debate setups

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
I have hated the first two debate setups. The stand behind the lectern style is too formal and the wandering around a red carpet style is too awkward. I honestly think all debates should be like the VP debate (and the next Pres debate)...sitting around a table. That is how real people discuss politics. No one stands behind a lectern and no one wanders around an open space like a mental patient. I think it forces the candidates to address each other more. They can't hide behind a podium and they can't turn the back on each other. And PLEASE DEAR GOD stop letting "average" Americans ask questions.

Thoughts?

I would like to see a debate of entirely "gotcha" questions for both candidates. Call it "The Gauntlet", and let TJ Lavin moderate.

Solution: don't watch. There's much more interesting and informative things on Discovery, Smithsonian Channel, BBC America, or your sock drawer.

I want to see this format:

rockem-sockem-robots-game.jpg

I don't mind the Town Hall/wander around format, but with one addition. They should install a trap door somewhere on stage. If one of the candidates stands on it for too long, boom - they're gone. Election over.

Maybe they'd both stay in their damn seats.

I think the next st-up should be a panel of moderators like Meet The Press used to be -Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert and Lewis Black.

they should have two smoking hot chicks in place of the candidates with earpieces who relay the answers

My dream debate would be to have a moderator ask questions, no time limit on the questions. There would be at least one candidate from a party other than the two majors. The moderator would be knowledgeable in all areas that he/she is asking questions. The moderator would be able to call out the candidates when they stretch the truth, and grill them on specifics. Of course, the problem with my fantasy is the next day conservative commentators would be on Fox up in arms about how the moderator used facts and it was unfair to the Republican. (yes, had to get a dig in!)

Add a bong and ask Gary Johnson to join. Love to see what Mitt would say after a hit or two.

they should have two smoking hot chicks in place of the candidates with earpieces who relay the answers

exactly. we don't need to watch a couple of liars say "good question. let me ramble on an unrelated stump speech topic for three minutes before i run out of time."

I wouldn't mind having partisan comedians relay the opposing candidates' responses via earpieces. For example, you have Bill Maher relay Romney's response and... um... some conservative comedian relay Obama's.

My dream debate would be to have a moderator ask questions, no time limit on the questions. There would be at least one candidate from a party other than the two majors. The moderator would be knowledgeable in all areas that he/she is asking questions. The moderator would be able to call out the candidates when they stretch the truth, and grill them on specifics. Of course, the problem with my fantasy is the next day conservative commentators would be on Fox up in arms about how the moderator used facts and it was unfair to the Republican. (yes, had to get a dig in!)

Yeah...only the Republicans would complain. Do you really see things that simple?

The next debate should be totally naked....including the audience.

The last election is foreign policy right? Every single answer for Obama should end: I pulled the trigger on the plan that killed Osama Bin Laden. This is the ultimate trump card.

I too would prefer a debate where the moderator incorrectly corrects democrats and makes them look dumb

Back