• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

I read that this year's event was expected to bring in $30MM, up from $25MM last year. A lot of money, sure, but not in the context of the numbers they have been negotiating. I think the big deal with the Winter Classic is that it is used as a vehicle to expand interest in the sport in the U.S. (So that's why I think the public perception would be such a huge deal to the NHL.)

I have nothing to back this theory up, just doing some brainstorming.

Via Puck Daddy: Kypreos on NHL: The silent majority

Worse is the perception that only three people control all the power and information when it comes to the future of the NHL, that a new deal hinges solely on Bettman, Bob Batterman (lead counsel for the NHL) and Jeremy Jacobs (Boston Bruins owner and chairman of the NHL board). Everyone else is on the outside looking in when it comes to power in the league.

With a philosophical agreement of a 50/50 split achieved, more than a handful of teams have told Bettman they can't afford to lose two entire seasons in a span of eight years.

Written by a former player, so take it with a grain of salt. But it would make a lot more sense that egos seem to be taking over the bottom line interests if control was focused in a small group. (Though I'd imagine "silent majority" is a stretch.)

More big name players on their way overseas with Joffrey Lupul heading to the KHL and Dustin Brown possibly on his way as well. Scott Hartnell plans to join the Finnish team he has a minority interest in later in November.

If that article is true, I see no way Bettman survives this. I think this is the last time you'll see him in a CBA negotiation.

Kypreos is a windbag and shill for the players. I might trust his inside opinions on players, but not owners.

Hey, I said to take it with a grain of salt. And I find it hard to believe that all owners are on board with a strategy that would torch the whole season if the players don't take exactly what (some) owners want. If the moderates - on both sides - don't start getting vocal soon, the season is gone.

Latest DGB: Inside Gary Bettman's annual Halloween party

Roberto Luongo wanders by wearing a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey.

Bettman: Interesting costume choice, Roberto.

Luongo: It's not a costume. Brian Burke hit me over the head with a club and stapled this on me.

Bettman: I don't think he's allowed to do that.

Luongo: Really? He said it was a new rule in that latest CBA offer.

Bettman: Yeah, I don't think that's… (flips through his copy of the offer) … no, wait, looks like he did slip that in.

Daly: We probably should have had somebody else read through that after we let Brian write the whole thing.

OK, someone with more credibility:

30 Thoughts: Lockouts chock full of familiar refrains

The commish has three groups of owners: the ones who want to play; the ones in the middle, including Tampa and Nashville, who want a better collective bargaining agreement but recognize not playing is worse; and the hardliners. It would be a mistake to underestimate the last group. There are several who would rather cancel the season than accept a bad deal because they are hemorrhaging money and need immediate satisfaction.

While the players believe Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs is calling the shots, an educated guess at the final group includes but may not be limited to Anaheim, Columbus, Florida, the Islanders, Phoenix, St. Louis, Washington and Dallas -- enough to block any agreement from getting done (It's tough to lock it down because owners are forbidden to discuss this stuff. Attempts to talk to a couple were politely shot down).

OK, Jacobs, not a surprise. Leonsis, WTF? And Columbus, it is not the cap that is your problem. (Hint: Scott Howson.)

So, to update, hockey is not only being held captive by idiots, but also by stingy billionaires and failing teams.

Or, as someone kindly re-tweeted so it would end up on my timeline:

Chemmy @felixpotvin
BOS is owned by a notorious cheapskate, no shock they're crying about cash despite being sold out all the time.

Chemmy @felixpotvin
Contract the rest of those teams. I'd rather watch hockey than subsidize failing teams and then lose seasons to appease them.

(Not gonna happen, obviously, but would be nice.)

And, from the above, for the Canes fans that may not want to read through all that nonsense:

24. The Charlotte Checkers, Carolina's AHL affiliate, are 6-1-1, despite zero home games. Apparently, that's because of the Democratic National Convention, even though it ended Sept. 6. Must be some sort of "Hot Air Alert." Anyway, the best news if you're a Hurricanes fan is the squad is using head coach Kirk Muller's system. To see Zach Boychuk, Drayson Bowman and Zac Dalpe among others playing well is a good sign for the future.

Leonsis has the new look (Bullets/Capitals hybrid) Wizards...why would he need the NHL season?

:rulz:

Noooooo...... don't give money to Leonsis!

JK, good luck, I'm going to try too but I don't expect it to last long.

I tried to watch the Wiz last night and could not get one quarter in.

I'm seeing some conflicting reports on Twitter this morning. Some saying the WC will get axed this afternoon, others saying some back channel conversations going on between Players and the League have a small hope in saving it. I guess we'll find out this afternoon.

Whether the WC is cancelled or not, at least the sides are talking. I much prefer the quiet phone calls to both the radio silence and the public grand standing.

Indeed! Please keep the updates coming for those of us that are twitterless

It's crazy. Absolutely crazy. The sides are so close. I can't believe the majority of owners support this. Too much power in the hands of a few.

I'm seeing some conflicting reports on Twitter this morning. Some saying the WC will get axed this afternoon, others saying some back channel conversations going on between Players and the League have a small hope in saving it. I guess we'll find out this afternoon.

We'ev heard here in Raleigh from ESPN affiliate 99.9 The Fan that the two sides are, in fact, talking and that the drop dead date to cancel the WC has been pushed all the way back to Nov. 15.

Sounding like it's been cancelled. Just waiting for official word.

Jamie McBain from Carolina heading to Finland Monday. Skinner will return to Toronto for private workouts. Came to Carolina briefly, but insurance issues keeping him from working out or playing with a team.

We'ev heard here in Raleigh from ESPN affiliate 99.9 The Fan that the two sides are, in fact, talking and that the drop dead date to cancel the WC has been pushed all the way back to Nov. 15.

Didn't see this until after I posted...who's that coming from? Yahoo is saying its been cancelled.

It's crazy. Absolutely crazy. The sides are so close. I can't believe the majority of owners support this. Too much power in the hands of a few.

They don't even need a majority. I think owners need 75% to approve a proposal, so Bettman only needs 8 owners to turn it down, and one team is owned by the NHL. (So your last sentence is even more true.)

Of course, if enough other owners wanted this done they could push for it to happen, so really everyone is at fault. (For example, if it really is the cash poor teams driving this thing, the cash rich teams could offer up increased revenue sharing in the years of a phased-in reduction in the revenue split with the players to help the poor teams in the interim. But rich teams apparently would rather go to a lockout than share money.)

Ryan Lambert is always good for a solid rant:

We have seen the lockout enemy, and he is awful NHL teams (Trending Topics)

Back