• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

I can't stop reading the thread title as "We Will Have a Season Thread"

gets me every time

Haha, I added a question mark. If they reach an agreement I'll change it to "We will have a season" but with lots of exclamation points, so you'll know what happened.

Then again, if this round of talks breaks down, I'll just change it to "Everything is ruined forever."

Read on Twitter a short while ago that the players pushed hard yesterday, and they feel everything hinges on the NHL's response today...so today could be huge.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Was told that six teams would receive huge chunk of rev share under NHLPA system: Phoenix, NY Isles, Columbus, Florida, Nashville, Carolina

Come on boys!!!

If it gets done, when would the season start?

1-2 weeks would be my guess. It might take a while to get the Euros back stateside.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Was told that six teams would receive huge chunk of rev share under NHLPA system: Phoenix, NY Isles, Columbus, Florida, Nashville, Carolina

One of those hockey markets is not like the other. What gives?

ESPN: NHL considering 2 union proposals.

Keep your fingers crossed!

So they listened to a proposal, thought about it overnight, and came back to discuss? Progress!

Twitter got kind of negative there for a minute, then stopped, and it looks like Bob McKenzie has deleted his "doesn't sound like things are going well" tweet. Not sure what's going on there. 5+ hours into the meeting and still talking, though.

One of those hockey markets is not like the other. What gives?

Which? They are 6 of the 8 lowest revenue teams according to Forbes. (Though I think those numbers include revenue sharing.)

ETA: Realized you said "markets" not "teams." Guessing you are talking about the Islanders? One of the problems some had with the past revenue sharing in the NHL is that it disqualified teams in large markets from participating, which was really hurting the Islanders.

Last edited:
Which? They are 6 of the 8 lowest revenue teams according to Forbes. (Though I think those numbers include revenue sharing.)

I assumed that, I was just wondering why the Islanders need as much help as those other teams since they're in New York.

I assumed that, I was just wondering why the Islanders need as much help as those other teams since they're in New York.

Got it. Some mix of being in a terrible arena out in Long Island and mismanagement, I believe. The rest of NYC has the Rangers, so I'm guessing the Isles TV deal isn't anything to write home about.

Though the move to Brooklyn should help a bunch. Also the possibility of amnesty-ing contracts (which is apparently on the table in the CBA talks).

Talks are done for the day. Fehr announced that he would talk to the media (which freaked me out) but he didn't give any specifics. Meeting again tomorrow!

A lot of NHL teams would like to have the Isles TV contract. Unfortunately they have some of the worst gate revenue in the league. We're talking Phoenix Coyotes territory. It's not just the fans that stay away. Zero NHL players want to play at the Nassau Coliseum. I don't think that management has been notably worse than any other NHL team. The Isles just have zero margin for error like a lot of low revenue teams.

A lot of NHL teams would like to have the Isles TV contract. Unfortunately they have some of the worst gate revenue in the league. We're talking Phoenix Coyotes territory. It's not just the fans that stay away. Zero NHL players want to play at the Nassau Coliseum. I don't think that management has been notably worse than any other NHL team. The Isles just have zero margin for error like a lot of low revenue teams.

As Avlon said, you would think a lot of their problems will go away when they move to Brooklyn.

Also if they can amnesty Rick DiPietro.

Seems like there was a lot of negativity last night. Mainly from NHL leaks to league-friendly writers, so it could be more gaming through the media (goddammit, I thought we were done with that).

From the sounds of it, the players are still putting forth offers where their $ amount grows slowly at a set rate until they hit 50/50. Which, come on Fehr, that ship has sailed. The lockout has done significant damange to the current year's revenue, possibly revenue going forward as well, and the owners won't agree to absorb all of that alone.

The league, meanwhile, is determined to make "Make Whole" a thing. And Dreger is saying the league put forth it's "best" offer Thursday. Which apparently is different than it's "best" offer that it put on the table in October?

I hate all of these people.

Back