• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

As a Buffalo/Deacs fan, I'm by nature a defeatist and fully expect the streak to end tonight. I mean, we can't win FOREVER, can we?

Stars are down to their 12th D man but are still hanging on. 6 games in 9 nights and Seguin can still have fun during warm-ups. Knocks over this girls beer and laughs.

But we can finally dispose of any notion that there’s a great goalie somewhere inside him, waiting to emerge under the right circumstances, who has been unjustly let down by his teammates, his coaches and management over the past 14 months.

Since arriving here in what may have been the worst move of Ron Francis’ entire tenure as general manager – giving up a third-round pick for a guy who was about to become become a free agent, then using that exclusive negotiating window to pay through the nose on a four-year, $16.6 million contract – Darling has done nothing to affirm he’s an NHL goalie.

Last season, he cost his team any shot at the playoffs and his coach and general manager their jobs with one of the worst statistical seasons in modern NHL history after arriving out of shape. This season, the Hurricanes are on a 106-point pace with Curtis McElhinney or Petr Mrazek in net and a 59-point pace with Darling in net even though Darling’s save percentage is better than Mrazek’s, in part because of the soft goals Darling continued to give up and in part because his teammates played in constant and obvious fear of the soft goals Darling continued to give up.

Nylander resigns with the Leafs 5 minutes before the deadline.

Hockey is coming to Seattle!! Few years to wait but I'm pumped to get in on the ground floor with a Western team.

Dundon in the news!

Dundon in the news!

Good! This Canes team is as bleh as the last 5 have been. I’m really losing interest at this point and even told my wife last night that I wouldn’t care if the team moved.

Ovi has a Hattrick in each of his last two games...at age 33.

I got to see him do it tonight in Raleigh, which was an absolute thrill (the entire game was great and had a little bit of everything). His second goal never should’ve happened, though - textbook interference to set him up for the snipe.

Ovi has a Hattrick in each of his last two games...at age 33.

I got to see him do it tonight in Raleigh, which was an absolute thrill (the entire game was great and had a little bit of everything). His second goal never should’ve happened, though - textbook interference to set him up for the snipe.

I was there too. Lots of cap fans there. Most of them drunk. Lots of hats on the ice for Ovi.

That second goal was def odd....clear interference but a great fake from Ovi.

Weird shoot out.

I was there too. Lots of cap fans there. Most of them drunk. Lots of hats on the ice for Ovi.

We saw a very drunk asshole (Caps fan) get tossed in our section. I'll never understand folks who get raging drunk at sporting events.

I sat next to a family who was attending their first hockey game. They asked about icing, offsides, penalties etc. throughout the game. I explained why Scott Darling was an embattled netminder and how Tom Wilson is one of the most detested players in the NHL. It was good time.

During the shootout, the Dad asks me "is that the guy everyone hates?" but it was just the crowd boo-ing every visiting attempt, lol.

I think last night will go down as the night the fan base turned on Brind’Amour. Those shootout choices and his comments after were just inexcusable.

Back