• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

Coyotes are staying in Phoenix.

Andi Petrillo ‏@andipHNIC
Glendale City Council approve 320million arena deal over 20yrs. Greg Jamison can now move through with purchase of Coyotes.
Jamison is an owner who knows his shit. If anyone can make the Coyotes a success in Phoenix, it would be him.

Any new news on this? With the panthers and Deacs sucking, I need Hurricane hockey in the worst way.

The two sides are meeting with a mediator today, but it is most likely just a stall tactic / PR move for both sides. The owners want to see how the players feel after missing another paycheck or two, the players want to see how the owners feel when the season is on the line. So we may have another two weeks or so of not a whole hell of a lot happening.

The one date to keep an eye on is Dec 5th, when the owners have their Board of Governors meeting. They may decide whether to push to get a deal done, stay the course a bit longer, or decrease their offer. Any of which could have an impact on negotiations, obviously.

I think we're just a few weeks away from the season being done. If games aren't being played by Christmas, which means we'd need a deal in the next three weeks or so, the season is done.

The NHL cancelled one season...and it accomplished nothing. I have no doubt this one will solve nothing either. Too much money in sports.

Forbes released their latest valuations of NHL teams

The Maple Leafs are the first NHL team to break $1B.

And the Rangers brought in almost as much in revenue as the Maple Leafs last year (I imagine the playoffs helped) and yet the Dolans reportedly have no power in the board room due to their fights with Bettman. That's screwed up.

The NHL cancelled one season...and it accomplished nothing. I have no doubt this one will solve nothing either. Too much money in sports.

The season was over when they canceled the WC.

There are some great quotes in there that I hadn't seen before. Thanks for sharing!

There's a reason for that - they opened the locker rooms to the media but there were not that many media there. The writer (me, if you haven't figured it out yet) just got to walk around from superstar to superstar for one-on-one interviews. Like I said it was already a once-in-a-lifetime experience just being in the building that night, but it was even cooler to get to walk up to Marty Brodeur and talk to him, then turn around and walk over to Steven Stamkos. I've covered lots of NHL games and usually there are a) more media and b) fewer stars, so it's 15 people throwing their recorders in a guy's face. To be able to talk to these guys one-on-one was incredible.

One interesting thing I didn't put in the story, when I asked Stamkos about Brodeur, he said, "It was cool to see Marty in the orange and black." Almost spoken like a Flyer - or someone who knows it's inevitable that he's going to be a Flyer someday :thumbsup:

Wow, that's amazing. Nice work. Do you have any other quotes that got left on the cutting room floor?

I watched the videos as well. I love that Hartnell and Richards came out in a tee shirt and flannel, and Hank came out in a suit with his hair perfectly coiffed. Because of course he did.

Hahaha, mediation is over already. Federal mediators spent two days with the NHL and NHLPA and decided that there was no point.

I mean, I expected no progress, but I thought they'd tough it out a few days. You can't tell me the mediators giving up so quickly isn't funny. Oh to have been in that room.

It's so bizarre. Cutting off your nose to spite your face x 1,000,000.

It seems like the owners are still convinced that the players are being controlled / lied to by Don Fehr. Bettman proposed a meeting with only owners and players, no leaders or staff.

I don't think that's a good idea for the players, honestly.
Even if it was possible without putting the players at a huge disadvantage, I don't think Fehr would allow the possibility of resolution without being at the center of it.

Even if it was possible without putting the players at a huge disadvantage, I don't think Fehr would allow the possibility of resolution without being at the center of it.

As well he shouldn't. Players are players, not lawyers or businessmen.

Clearly the players would have to be allowed to bring a lawyer or consultant. As long as they have a conversation and aren't actively negotiating, I don't think it would be a huge deal. I think it'll just be the owners, again, trying to convince the players that the deal they put on the table is really super awesome, despite what Fehr tells them. (In other words, I think it'll backfire.) Maybe the players will have a chance to demonstrate that they actually know what's going on and aren't puppets. Hahahaha, JK, the owners will still assume it's tha brain washin'.

I wonder if this is primarily a stall tactic. (With some PR spin thrown in for good measure.) The board of governors meeting is so close, and the owners' negotiating committee needs to know what kind of support they have before taking any drastic steps. (And before the players start to seriously talk decertification.)

Now THAT is a room I'd love to be in. Friedman said that during the last lockout, at a board of governors meeting, Bettman kicked everyone but the chief decision maker for each team out of the room. Obviously I have no idea what went on there, but I'd imagine he wanted to make sure he had the support necessary to cancel the whole season. Will he get that support this time around? I'd imagine he can get the support to cancel the first two months with a little politicking. But Jan-June? The playoffs? Will the owners decide that contracting rights are worth the same sacrifice they made for the salary cap?

Also, I hope the owners are paying attention to Bettman's mentor. Do they want a commissioner so in love with his own power that he will sanction teams for resting players? Be careful here...

Back