• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

Isn't there more than just contracting rights on the line?

Well, the money is close enough that they should be able to figure out an agreement. (And even without movement, cancelling a season over less than $200MM would make no sense.)

What else am I missing? Are there other issues that would be worth cancelling a season over?

No, but nearly everything to date has shown that neither side feels that they can or should capitulate. The owners don't want to set a precedent and the players are digging a hole they can't get out of.

So the only news so far this weekend is that a few of the moderate owners (Dolan, Molson, Burkle) want in on the talks. Which doesn't really mean anything, but it is nice to know that those guys remember that they own hockey teams.

Six NHL owners and a small group of players set to meet Tuesday afternoon.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410815

It will be Burkle, Chipman, Vinik, Edwards, Tanebaum and Jacobs(!) from the owners side. Vinik and Chipman are good additions. It looks like Bill Daly and Steve Fehr will also be attending (dumb).

It will be Burkle, Chipman, Vinik, Edwards, Tanebaum and Jacobs(!) from the owners side. Vinik and Chipman are good additions. It looks like Bill Daly and Steve Fehr will also be attending (dumb).

lol, the guy can't help himself.

Then what was the point?

It's not a player/owner only meeting anymore, but it is a meeting involving more owners than the ones on the negotiating committee, which the players have been requesting for weeks.

Crosby is expected to attend. Marty St. Louis said earlier that he'd like to be there. At least the owners and their own players will be facing eachother as they make their demands.

Dolan (Rangers) wasn't invited because of course he wasn't. But why not Molson (Habs)? Is Bettman angry with him over the Molson exec's comments?

It's not a player/owner only meeting anymore, but it is a meeting involving more owners than the ones on the negotiating committee, which the players have been requesting for weeks.

Crosby is expected to attend. Marty St. Louis said earlier that he'd like to be there. At least the owners and their own players will be facing eachother as they make their demands.

Dolan (Rangers) wasn't invited because of course he wasn't. But why not Molson (Habs)? Is Bettman angry with him over the Molson exec's comments?

Where is Ed Snider in all of this? He's an influential owner and he has good rapport with the players. He's the perfect owner to bring the two sides together. Oh wait, maybe that's why Jacobs is there and not him...

It is a mix of owners representing different market sizes, Canada/US, etc. Almost all of these guys' teams are at or near the cap. It's a pretty good group. Let's see what the NHLPA trots out there.

Where is Ed Snider in all of this? He's an influential owner and he has good rapport with the players. He's the perfect owner to bring the two sides together. Oh wait, maybe that's why Jacobs is there and not him...

Hmmmmm….

Ed Snider wants to play. Everyone knows Ed Snider wants to play. I’d imagine that makes him a bit of a liability in negotiations. (Also could be an indication that the owners intend to stay on message. So, you know, temper expectations.) But there are some well liked and well respected owners being added, so that’s the good news.

My hope is that Ed Snider throws his (and Comcast’s) weight around at the Board of Governors’ meeting Wednesday. Although I’m not particularly optimistic. I find it hard to believe that Bettman and Jacobs would have taken this mess so far if they weren’t confident that they can get the vote to cancel the season if necessary.

Hmmmmm….

Ed Snider wants to play. Everyone knows Ed Snider wants to play. I’d imagine that makes him a bit of a liability in negotiations. (Also could be an indication that the owners intend to stay on message. So, you know, temper expectations.) But there are some well liked and well respected owners being added, so that’s the good news.

My hope is that Ed Snider throws his (and Comcast’s) weight around at the Board of Governors’ meeting Wednesday. Although I’m not particularly optimistic. I find it hard to believe that Bettman and Jacobs would have taken this mess so far if they weren’t confident that they can get the vote to cancel the season if necessary.

This is definitely a factor, and a big one. IIRC, Comcast is one of the major sponsors that has threatened to sue to get out of their sponsorship agreement with the league if they don't play. Let's hope Mr. Snider can help get things done.

I've noticed the guys I follow who had tweeted consistent updates about the lockout are hardly tweeting any more. Not sure what that means.

I'm sure there is a good deal of apathy, but there also hasn't been much to talk about. These jokers just spent all weekend deciding whether or not they wanted to have a meeting, and who should be invited.

At what point are all existing contracts voided? Do owners have the option to just start a new season with brand new players who aren't part of the NHLPA and whatever guys decide to cross picket lines? They've got the best money of any league in the world. If the players don't want it and want to go play in the KHL or wherever else that's fine with me. I will cheer for new players, I do it every year on a smaller scale. I want to watch some live hockey.

^^^ Jeremy Jacobs fan.

The owners don't want the existing contracts voided any more than the players do. Otherwise they wouldn't have rushed to sign so many last summer.

Also, alienating the guy who helped generate such growth in the NHL, and who is responsible for taking care of the sponsors during the lockout, is probably a bad idea:

John Collins, NHL COO, could be costly lockout casualty for Bettman

One story making the rounds is that Collins said directly to Bettman: "I'm getting off the Titanic before it sinks."

Also Down Goes Brown fun (he's gotta be running out of material):

The NHLPA's advance scouting report on today's session with NHL owners

The picture captions are my favorite.

Is there any doubt, at this point, that this is mostly Bettman and Jacobs holding things up? We keep hearing these kinds of stories that owners, sponsors, and now other NHL employees are wondering what the hell is going on, and why is this dragging on for so long? Bettman is out there suggesting two week breaks and such...there are serious issues going on here, and I don't think it's really about the money.

Is there any doubt, at this point, that this is mostly Bettman and Jacobs holding things up? We keep hearing these kinds of stories that owners, sponsors, and now other NHL employees are wondering what the hell is going on, and why is this dragging on for so long? Bettman is out there suggesting two week breaks and such...there are serious issues going on here, and I don't think it's really about the money.
If 29 owners were in favor of a deal under the NHLPA's terms, there'd be a deal. Actually that number could be a lot less than 29.

If 29 owners were in favor of a deal under the NHLPA's terms, there'd be a deal. Actually that number could be a lot less than 29.

I understand the numbers needed to get a deal done, but something doesn't add up. I don't really think a majority of owners are driving this holdout.

How many owners do you think Bettman needs to cancel the season? (I mean, I know they need 75% to overrule him, but I can't imagine he'd cancel a season with only 7 owners.) They cancelled the season despite the Maple Leafs protest last time, would they do the same if the Flyers ownership was protesting as well?

The politics of this nonsense must really suck.

Back