• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

I understand the numbers needed to get a deal done, but something doesn't add up. I don't really think a majority of owners are driving this holdout.
Do you think Bettman, Jacobs, and/or a group of hardliners are misrepresenting the facts and circumstances of the negotiations? I find it hard to believe that the owners aren't getting all the same information as the players. I would think that they would be better informed since many of them could actually still lose money under the next CBA. If there is a tipping point among those owners who really want a deal done and are willing to give a little more for that to happen, I don't think it's has been reached.

How many owners do you think Bettman needs to cancel the season? (I mean, I know they need 75% to overrule him, but I can't imagine he'd cancel a season with only 7 owners.) They cancelled the season despite the Maple Leafs protest last time, would they do the same if the Flyers ownership was protesting as well?

The politics of this nonsense must really suck.
Probably the same amount as he needs to keep his job.

Do you think Bettman, Jacobs, and/or a group of hardliners are misrepresenting the facts and circumstances of the negotiations? I find it hard to believe that the owners aren't getting all the same information as the players. I would think that they would be better informed since many of them could actually still lose money under the next CBA. If there is a tipping point among those owners who really want a deal done and are willing to give a little more for that to happen, I don't think it's has been reached.

I think it is certainly possible.

Probably the same amount as he needs to keep his job.

Technically, sure, but politically, that would be crazy risky. Pissing off 22 owners? Allowing a scenario where, if things get ugly, there only needs to be one to turn to have him scapegoat-ed and unceremoniously fired? No way. For all the criticism thrown his way, Bettman is generally viewed to be pretty politically savvy, I think.

I wish they would just go ahead and cancel the season already. Every time there is a new post on this thread I get my hopes up.

Optimism on both sides, no details being leaked to the public, and, weirdest of all, Bill Daly and Steve Fehr did their media availability last night TOGETHER. We may just have traction, ya'll.

Burkle seems to be getting a lot of the credit, both for being a voice of reason and for having the trust of the players, which I'd imagine is based largely on his relationship with Sidney Crosby. If we have hockey this year, it will be because the face of the NHL saved the season. How's that for a nice scenario for the NHL's PR department? (Not that I have any problem with it... save us Sid!!!)

Crosby, Penguins owners push to save NHL season

They are meeting again this morning, and the Board of Governors' meeting is at 11am.

(Hope this post was worth a thread bump, Skins!)

Optimism on both sides, no details being leaked to the public, and, weirdest of all, Bill Daly and Steve Fehr did their media availability last night TOGETHER. We may just have traction, ya'll.

Burkle seems to be getting a lot of the credit, both for being a voice of reason and for having the trust of the players, which I'd imagine is based largely on his relationship with Sidney Crosby. If we have hockey this year, it will be because the face of the NHL saved the season. How's that for a nice scenario for the NHL's PR department? (Not that I have any problem with it... save us Sid!!!)

Crosby, Penguins owners push to save NHL season

They are meeting again this morning, and the Board of Governors' meeting is at 11am.

(Hope this post was worth a thread bump, Skins!)

The BOG meeting will be huge. It could be make or break for the season with all these guys in the room together. If they want there to be a season, I think we'll find out very soon.

The BOG meeting will be huge. It could be make or break for the season with all these guys in the room together. If they want there to be a season, I think we'll find out very soon.

Agreed.

And I was negative about Jacobs being in the room, but maybe it was a good thing? If both sides were discussing compromise, and Jacobs is on board, that could be a very good sign. (You can probably include Toews and Miller in that too, since they've seemingly been the players' hard liners.)

Gary Bettman just had his post BOG meeting press conference. The mic wasn't working, apparently. But his statement was about 20 seconds long, just that he updated the BOG, they are pleased with the process, and out of respect for the process he would not say anything further or take questions.

Anyway, talks will continue this afternoon, the NHL and the NHLPA had meetings with a labor board that were scheduled for the next two days postponed so talks can keep going.

Whenever I start to feel optimistic, talks shut down. Trying not to get my hopes up...

Some postulating on Twitter that if they can get a deal done, we'll be looking at a 58 game schedule. Given the circumstances, that wouldn't be too bad.

Gary Bettman just had his post BOG meeting press conference. The mic wasn't working, apparently. But his statement was about 20 seconds long, just that he updated the BOG, they are pleased with the process, and out of respect for the process he would not say anything further or take questions.

Anyway, talks will continue this afternoon, the NHL and the NHLPA had meetings with a labor board that were scheduled for the next two days postponed so talks can keep going.

Whenever I start to feel optimistic, talks shut down. Trying not to get my hopes up...

That actually sounds very promising. Bettman comes out and basically says virtually nothing? Probably the best thing he has said the entire time.

Things are good when they are quiet. I like when they have nothing to say to the media.

That actually sounds very promising. Bettman comes out and basically says virtually nothing? Probably the best thing he has said the entire time.

Most definitely. Excellent Bettman presser.

I love that Bettman and Fehr are still out of the room. I mean, I know they are heavily involved, and are part of the caucuses that the two sides have when they break and all, but something about the two of them stuck outside waiting for updates cracks me up.

Tim Panaccio @tpanotchCSN
confirmed: BOG talked of 50/60 games; leaning < 60 … guvs “feeling very positive.” Another good sign: no ‘drop dead’ date was discussed

Harrison Mooney @HarrisonMooney
Sources: the NHLPA convinced Jeremy Jacobs 3 of last night’s representatives were the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and yet to come.

Well, the owners seem to have sprung a bunch of leaks last night. I guess they are still trying to talk directly to the players instead of through their reps? Is there any other reason they would think it is beneficial to tell reporters what they had offered? To the point that Dreger speculated that the offer may be good enough to go to a vote of the players, FFS.

Anyway, it seems to me that the current hold up is term limit on contracts. The owners think there should be a short term limit, because, I don't know, the NBA has it I guess, and the players response is (and I'm making this up since I haven't seen any leak of the players' offer) "lol, no."

They are close, there will be a deal, but they will drive me (and all the reporters camped out at their hotel) crazy for a couple more days just for fun.

ETA: The whole thing is kind of funny from a Penguins point of view. So Burkle is in there saying "hey, Sidney, you got your 12 year deal, now just screw over Malkin by agreeing to shorter term limits for everyone else."

Last edited:
I'm generally in favor of limiting the lengths of contracts, the length of current contracts has gotten ridiculous and is one of the things pre-lockout that was hurting the credibility of the league.

Every player who doesn't have a contract or has a near term expiring contract will be pinched by the guys who have long term deals.

Last edited:
I'm generally in favor of limiting the lengths of contracts, the length of current contracts has gotten ridiculous and is one of the things pre-lockout that was hurting the credibility of the league.

Back diving contracts, sure, but what is the benefit of five year max contracts?

Apparently they are moving the talks to a private floor and kicking out reporters, which seems good for the process (seriously, stop talking to the media) and the sanity of everyone involved.

Back diving contracts, sure, but what is the benefit of five year max contracts?

Apparently they are moving the talks to a private floor and kicking out reporters, which seems good for the process (seriously, stop talking to the media) and the sanity of everyone involved.

Five years is too short - I'd say that seven is a good length though.

And the contract length limits are a way of minimizing the effects of bad contracts for owners and front office staff. I understand the players wanting their money to be fully guaranteed no matter what, but one of the things that make the NFL competitive every year is that teams can get out from under bad contracts relatively quickly, and option that isn't readily available in the NBA, NHL, or MLB.

Sounds like things are not going well.

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet

The vibe has gotten progressively worse since last night...one player source tells me "things are not going well right now"

Back