• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

What are you seeing from players? (I don't follow many that tweet about the lockout.)

As an update from the Puck Daddy piece I linked earlier, Patrick Burke has somehow convinced Harrison Mooney to perform the dance live to raise money for Burke's charity, You Can Play. I love the internet, it's so random and weird.

Edit: Sounds like the top guys plus some players and owners will be in the meeting tomorrow. That makes me a little nervous. Players + Bettman and owners + Fehr seem to lead to emotional reactions.

One player I remember specifically (who is involved with the union) said he feels like if this is going to get done, it's going to be now.

I just went to the latest Forbes Business of Hockey and picked a bunch of teams that are big spenders but that have either negative or thin margins. You're right that the Flyers are more profitable than the rest of the teams I listed, but they're not anywhere near the Maple Leafs / Habs / Rangers of the world.

The Caps number is skewed because Ted owns the Verizon Center through another company (he owns) so all the revenue that comes from parking, concessions etc is stashed under another line and is not credited to the Caps....I think

The Caps number is skewed because Ted owns the Verizon Center through another company (he owns) so all the revenue that comes from parking, concessions etc is stashed under another line and is not credited to the Caps....I think

So he has even less reason to keep this lockout going! Any idea why he would be one of the hardliners? Do you think he really believes they need a new CBA for the NHL to succeed? Is he a Scrooge, like Jacobs? Man crush on Bettman, perhaps?

So he has even less reason to keep this lockout going! Any idea why he would be one of the hardliners? Do you think he really believes they need a new CBA for the NHL to succeed? Is he a Scrooge, like Jacobs? Man crush on Bettman, perhaps?

Maybe he just thinks if they play half a season, the Caps won't fizzle out in the playoffs?

13 players in NYC for the meeting this afternoon. Making me nervous. Please don't derail this process when there is finally some semblance of substantive talks.

Also, the LA Kings continue to have the best Twitter operators:

LA Kings @LAKings
Remember, your vote could decide who congratulates us at the White House.

I think he realizes it was not that long ago when the Caps were part of the have nots and they are only a few losing seasons to being back there.

I think he realizes it was not that long ago when the Caps were part of the have nots and they are only a few losing seasons to being back there.

Really? I feel like the Caps have a great fanbase here. I would put them ahead of Nationals and Bullets for sure.

The meetings that started at 3pm are still going on and expected to run late. Huzzah!

I have refrained from buying any newborn Caps gear for my son...should I get online tonight?

Does Japers Rink or any other Caps blog sell merchandise? It would be great if you could get something cute for your son without giving any money to any of these jerks.

It sounds like the "make whole" thing is on the schedule for discussions today. I'm holding back on optimism until they figure that nonsense out. (Did Luntz come up with the phrase "make whole"? Because it is weird how quickly it has become an accepted term in NHL conversations, as if it actually means something.)

Does Japers Rink or any other Caps blog sell merchandise? It would be great if you could get something cute for your son without giving any money to any of these jerks.

It sounds like the "make whole" thing is on the schedule for discussions today. I'm holding back on optimism until they figure that nonsense out. (Did Luntz come up with the phrase "make whole"? Because it is weird how quickly it has become an accepted term in NHL conversations, as if it actually means something.)

I am not so much worried about giving money to the jerks as I am buying him newborn stuff that he will never wear because we will not have a season this year.

I am not so much worried about giving money to the jerks as I am buying him newborn stuff that he will never wear because we will not have a season this year.

Hold off. If (when????) they come to an agreement, there will be at least a week of training camp, so you'll have time to get him something to wear, and then you won't have to worry about him outgrowing it before his first game.

And then you can submit his pic for Puck Daddy's next round of Ice Ice Babies.

UPDATE: I stayed up too late last night and have been totally useless at work today. (Though I probably shouldn't be complaining about lack of sleep to someone with a newborn.)

In terms of CBA talks, they just started 45 mins ago, nothing yet.

In other news, the Coyotes are totally moving:

Outgoing Mayor Elaine Scruggs had endorsed Weiers, who has called for a tighter rein on the budget and criticized a proposed Phoenix Coyotes deal that has the city paying millions to the potential buyer of the hockey team.

His message on Tuesday night to the Coyotes and the baseball teams at the city’s spring-training ballpark: “Glendale is not your cash register.”

Update for the Twitter-less: talks went until 9pm last night. Talked revenue sharing and make whole. More talks expected today, covering the same issues. No PR nonsense from either side other than one sentence press releases saying they're working on a deal. Good news all around, though still cautiously optimistic until they spend more time on make whole.

Also, looks like the sponsors are starting to get angry:

Swinburn said that once the lockout ends, Molson Coors will seek financial compensation from the league over the negative impact that a lack of games has had on the hockey league sponsor.

“There will be some redress for us as a result of this. I can’t quantify that and I don’t know because I don’t know the scale of how long the lockout is going to last.”

Back