• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

James Mirtle @mirtle
You know what? That we're locked out right now (Dec. 7) doesn't surprise me. What does is that this isn't over money. At all.

^^ I'm with Mirtle. Who had money on the final battle being about contracting rights and the length of the CBA? (And ego, obviously, but that's less shocking.)

OK, looking at the calendar, if the league wants its Jan 1st start date, they need to get training camp going by Christmas Eve or so. Which means they have two weeks to get a deal done. And there are still plenty of things to discuss once they get the big ones figured out... have they even started to talk about conference re-alignment?

There is maybe about a week and a half-ish past Jan 1st where they can save a 48 game season, so that provides a little wiggle room, but not much. Gotta get back in the room soon.

tick tock tick tock

I'm so disheartened. What makes this situation even worse is the constant NBA focus in the media and in conversations with my friends. It's painful.

They still have a few weeks to get a deal done. I think it'll happen.

Just to update, it appears the two sides are meeting tomorrow in a "secret" location. All very hush hush.

Whenever they do get this all figured out, it is going to be crazy to see them get teams set up in time for the season to start, especially transition rules still very much up for discussion. Players to sign, others to come home and get ready to go, new rules to figure out and comply with, new cap... mad dash!

In the meantime, World Juniors. Canada's forward group is hard to fathom; RNH, MacKinnon, Huberdeau, Scheifele, Strome. Wow.

Last edited:
I don't know, given how long and grueling the playoffs are, I'd imagine this mess will be the last thing on the minds of the players and fans of the last team standing.

Until Bettman hands out the Cup, that is. (BOOOOOOOOOO)

Last edited:
better than nothing i guess

wouldnt feel as good about a stanley cup championship though (although i'd take it)

Trust me, as a Redskins fan you would feel just as good about the Cup as you would any other year. Two of our Super Bowls were during work stoppage years and they are not cheapened in the least IMO.

Hahaha, the top secret location was the office of the mediator, and the press is now there waiting for updates from the two parties.

Anyway, get comfortable, looks like this one is going to the brink.

The two sides met with the mediator separately yesterday. The players were apparently discouraged enough with what was filtering through that a bunch left town thinking it was a waste of time. (No owners attended at all, so maybe they thought it was a waste of time from the get go.) But the mediator is meeting with the NHLPA this morning.

I did think this was interesting, if only because Dreger has a rep for being the league's mouthpiece:

Darren Dreger @Darren Dreger
NHL has delivered the message it is pretty much a take it or leave it, however, that doesn't mean the league won't trade on certain things.

So the league's offer is take it or leave it, but that doesn't mean that it is take it or leave it. Make sense?

Friedman: Sides in NHL dispute need to push things to the brink

The two sides met with the mediator separately yesterday. The players were apparently discouraged enough with what was filtering through that a bunch left town thinking it was a waste of time. (No owners attended at all, so maybe they thought it was a waste of time from the get go.) But the mediator is meeting with the NHLPA this morning.

I did think this was interesting, if only because Dreger has a rep for being the league's mouthpiece:

So the league's offer is take it or leave it, but that doesn't mean that it is take it or leave it. Make sense?

Friedman: Sides in NHL dispute need to push things to the brink
It makes about as much sense as the NHLPA's key issue which changes every time the NHL capitulates on something.

I just don't see them coming together in time to save the season.

Back