• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

In the teeniest of tiniest of potentially positive signs, Scott Hartnell has told his Finnish team that he is still waiting on CBA negotiations and won't be heading that way at the end of November as planned earlier. (He's on the negotiating committee.)

In the teeniest of tiniest of potentially positive signs, Scott Hartnell has told his Finnish team that he is still waiting on CBA negotiations and won't be heading that way at the end of November as planned earlier. (He's on the negotiating committee.)

The Canes beat writer at the N&O tweeted something about the Canes practicing harder than usual today at RCI, and that maybe they know something we don'.

Everybody is mentioning these 8 losers, but there are a lot more than 8 teams losing money every year. Are the rich teams going to be making up the share for the unnamed teams as well? Gonna need a few more cash cows if that is the case. Most of the teams not losing money are just breaking even.

Last edited:
Everybody is mentioning these 8 losers, but there are a lot more than 8 teams losing money every year. Are the rich teams going to be making up the share for the unnamed teams as well? Gonna need a few more cash cows if that is the case. Most of the teams not losing money are just breaking even.

Plenty of owners, across all sports, hold teams as an investment vehicle rather than an income generator. Those owners would be the ones willing to spend to build a successful team, because a successful team will increase the value of the franchise.

I feel sympathy for those teams that are operating near the salary floor and are losing money. But I refuse to feel bad for teams that choose to spend above their revenues. We don't need to fix the system so the Caps can be profitable. Same with the Kings, Penguins, Flyers, Wild, Flames, Devils, Sabres. They all chose not to be.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
As we just discussed on Sportscentre. NHL advised PA it will absorb share of Make Whole provision. This is a considerable concession.

whoa.

ETA: I misread that and thought they had agreed to pay the entire provision. Nevermind, not that huge of a deal, but it's something.

Last edited:
Scuttlebutt on my Twitter feed is that "serious progress was made last night".

No idea what that really means.

Scuttlebutt on my Twitter feed is that "serious progress was made last night".

No idea what that really means.
It's gonna look idiotic if an agreement is reached just days after cancelling a money/publicity generator like the WC.

Awesome that they had a meeting, even more so that it was long (lasted until 1am), covered key issues, and both guys avoided all media other than issuing hopeful statements free of details. But it is still just the first time in the entire process where they are really discussing the issues that are holding up the negotiations. (In November, FFS.) There is still a ton to negotiate, even after they figure out the revenue split.

It is funny that many writers predicted a Thanksgiving / Dec 1st start before the lockout began. For that to happen, they only have 2-3 weeks to get a CBA complete, which leaves very little wiggle room for temper tantrums, backtracking, and complaining to the media. Feeling a touch of hope, here, though!

I wonder how the people of Canada are handling this- they must be in mourning.

I wonder how the people of Canada are handling this- they must be in mourning.

They must be angry as hell. They already hated (American) Bettman for moving some of their teams to the US. Now many of those teams are struggling and we're stuck in another lockout.

I'm not gonna lie, I like this angry fan video:

Plenty of owners, across all sports, hold teams as an investment vehicle rather than an income generator. Those owners would be the ones willing to spend to build a successful team, because a successful team will increase the value of the franchise.

I feel sympathy for those teams that are operating near the salary floor and are losing money. But I refuse to feel bad for teams that choose to spend above their revenues. We don't need to fix the system so the Caps can be profitable. Same with the Kings, Penguins, Flyers, Wild, Flames, Devils, Sabres. They all chose not to be.

I would be amazed if the Flyers aren't profitable even considering how much they spend.

That was pretty ridiculous. There was also a link to a "Gangam Style" NHL lockout parody that I'm sorry I clicked on. But it is out there if you want to see it.

Why did you have to mention it. Why am I posting it.

I would be amazed if the Flyers aren't profitable even considering how much they spend.

I just went to the latest Forbes Business of Hockey and picked a bunch of teams that are big spenders but that have either negative or thin margins. You're right that the Flyers are more profitable than the rest of the teams I listed, but they're not anywhere near the Maple Leafs / Habs / Rangers of the world.

Looks like the sides are going to meet tomorrow. Some optimism from a few players on Twitter.

Back