• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

Brett Hull wishes all you buffalo fans a happy halloween. love it!

http://twitter.com/2ndBestHull/status/260898190503596034/photo/1

A57lhaACUAAc-vj.jpg:large

It has really hit me tonight. I am in charge of the 8-11 baby duty to give my wife a chance to sleep. This shift is VERY easy (especially compared to what the wife does) when I have something to watch on TV. On nights like tonight (still can't bring myself to watch baseball) it is EXTREMELY hard. If there was a...ANY...hockey game on it would be a breeze. This is so dumb.

Deadline day. No talks scheduled. I'm expecting a lot of games to be cancelled today.

More fun with numbers from James Mirtle!

Now, one of the main contentions I've seen from critics on these proposals is that growth rate, which strikes me as odd. The NHL has grown at an average of 7.2 per cent a season under the previous collective agreement, something that allowed them to go from roughly $2.1-billion in revenues to $3.3-billion in just seven years.

(And keep in mind that the rise of the Canadian dollar made up only 0.9 to 1.5 per cent of that growth per season, depending on which side you ask. I'll let you guess which is using which.)

Projecting forward over the next five years at 5 per cent, assuming they played a full season this year, hardly seems onerous.

In fact, the growth rate was an incredible 10.2 and 9.6 per cent the last two seasons.

Proof that it's not that unreasonable? Even the league itself isn't contesting the fact it's likely to grow at that rate – aside from any impact from missing 2012-13 games due to a lockout.

I tried to copy one of his graphs to paste here, but couldn't figure out how. Basically if revenues grow at 7.2% (as they have over the last seven years) the offers are almost equal by year 3. I'd be curious to see how much faster they would meet if the revenue growth was as high as it was in the last two seasons (which it almost certainly won't be now that they've let the lockout last this long.)

I know there are a bunch of other issues to be agreed upon, but it is so frustrating that these guys are at a stalemate when they're so close.

Aside from the other contractual issues that are left unsettled, however, that's the slim margin we're talking about here, one that could and should have been made up for in negotiations this week.

That it hasn't is a sad commentary on the sorry state of relations between these two sides. There's so much distrust that it appears they don't even know when they're not far away from what they're both asking for.

It's sad, and it's silly. And they're running out of time before games are killed off, projected revenues drop and the gap widens again.

If they keep this up much longer, look for the Hurricanes to fold, especially with ACC hoops cranking up in a couple of weeks, and all three of the triangle teams NCAA tourney worthy this season.

The hurricanes aren't going to fold. They're a small market team, but they do reasonably well. This isn't Phoenix.

According to Forbes, the Hurricanes have one of the higher gate receipts of the southern teams. And the NHL just showcased them through the All Star game two years ago. They're not going anywhere.

But they are one of the teams that the league is saying that they want to help with a new agreement, and they will be one of the teams that is hurt more by the lockout, IMO. Not only because there are other sports options and the fanbase is newer, but because they look to have a strong team heading into this year. They could really build their fanbase further with a playoff run.

avalon said:
they look to have a strong team heading into this year. They could really build their fanbase further with a playoff run.
This is why I'm most disappointed about losing the season. After such a terrible start last year the hurricanes were looking very promising closing out the year. I am/was excited to see the off-season additions as well.

Exactly. They finished among the top teams in the league in the time since Muller took over and had a string offseason as well. I was looking forward to the start of the season so much. It was shaping up to be a great year.

I, for one, will be thrilled to have Jordan Staal the hell out of Pittsburgh. He's really good. (Ugly as sin, though.)

I, for one, will be thrilled to have Jordan Staal the hell out of Pittsburgh. He's really good. (Ugly as sin, though.)

It will be interesting to see how he does as a top line center. In Pittsburgh he has been on the 2nd and 3rd line and that jump to 1st line center is not an easy one to make. That being said, a top line of Staal, Staal and Semin has some serious potential to put up points.

GODDAMN I WANT HOCKEY!

It will be interesting to see how he does as a top line center. In Pittsburgh he has been on the 2nd and 3rd line and that jump to 1st line center is not an easy one to make. That being said, a top line of Staal, Staal and Semin has some serious potential to put up points.

GODDAMN I WANT HOCKEY!

The nice thing is you could easily move him to the 2nd line Center position and have Eric move from the wing to the Center. The second Staal gives them a lot of flexibility on their top two lines.

So both Staals and Skinner are all centers, right? Have any played on the wing some? I assume they'll all be top six. (I really don't know much about the Hurricanes, kinda going on the fly here.) I think Jordan will do fine with the move, it wasn't his talent that stuck him on the third line in Pittsburgh, it was that he was behind two of the best hockey players in the NHL on the depth chart. He's such a good defensive forward, it will be interesting to see him take on more of an offensive role.

Do you think he'll get time on the power play? He could end up with a ton of minutes between PP, PK and even strength.

I don't think you give away what Carolina gave away and sign him to that contract to be a 2nd line center.

The Penguins offered him that contract to be a third line center.

I think Eric had played on the wrong for Canada, yeah? That's how the Staal Staal Semin line works.

Both Staals, Skinner, Ruutu, and Jokinen can all play center and wing (and have). So there's a lot of line flexibility in the top six.

As far as what they gave up, I don't think that'll factor for Muller at all, although if Skins n' Fins are reunited on the 2nd line, I see no reason to drop either Staal down.

Talking about hockey is way better than talking about the lockout.

But I am gonna put these out there because they make me laugh:

Scarrison Booney @HarrisonMooney
NHL: "Here, have these poison cupcakes!" NHLPA: "No, they're poison." NHL: "THEN WE WITHDRAW THEM HOW ABOUT THAT"

Dave Hodge - TSN @TSNDave Hodge
NHL withdraws latest proposal. Similarly, my dinner offer to Charlize Theron is off the table.

Normally, I do not follow the major league hockeys - but this year I actually have 2 free season tickets to the Flyers, so I am pretty bummed there is a strike right now.

Back