• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

Again, zero help from the rest of the league. People who were talking shit about the metro all season can go fly a kite.

The East just has many more quality teams than the West - Hurricanes sitting at 10th in the league in points (7th in East) and still not locked into the playoffs. Carolina has feasted on the West this year. Seven (7) remaining games all against East opponents with four (4) of those currently playoff teams.

The Canes will make the playoffs.

This morning's Money Puck report, split into 4 tiers:

In (5 teams): Tampa Bay, Boston, Calgary, San Jose, Winnipeg
Practically in (98%+ to make playoffs, 8 teams): St. Louis, Nashville, Vegas, Toronto, Washington, New York Islanders, Pittsburgh, Carolina
88% tier (1 team): Dallas
Last two Wildcards (5 teams): Colorado 59.22%/Minnesota 27.11%/Arizona 20.19% & Montreal 53.95%/Columbus 49.22%

Clinching scenarios for tonight:
-Nashville is in with a win over Minnesota
-Vegas is in with a point against St. Louis.

Last edited:
Has there been any advance word on PNC playoff tickets for the general public? If Canes play the Caps I'm 100% going, but I may also try to go no matter who they're playing. It's going to be lit!

Has there been any advance word on PNC playoff tickets for the general public? If Canes play the Caps I'm 100% going, but I may also try to go no matter who they're playing. It's going to be lit!

Yes, it was announced you are not allowed to buy tickets! Thank you for cooperating :)

NHL doesn't like to put tickets on sale until the games are guaranteed (unlike the NBA, who will sell tickets for Games 5/6/7 for a series and then process refunds if the series ends early). I would expect as soon as the playoff berth is clinched, that tickets will go on sale within 48-72 hours.

No family this time, but I do always try to go with friends. I typically go (and tailgate) with doofus and/or DeaconPeach & Wolf1297.

Seems like a larger tailgate may be in order!

Any clue on the dates for a home playoff game? Back in NC 4/7-15 and would love to get to one.

You'll probably just miss out unless we can scrap home ice away from two of the Isles/Caps/Pens. Earliest a game would be without home ice is Sunday the 14th

Last edited:
For the season, Canes record:
- Against Western Conference: 19-8-3 (no games remaining) - includes season sweeps (2-0) of Chicago, Dallas, Edmonton, Minnesota, Nashville and Vancouver
- Against Atlantic Division: 13-8-2 (one remaining game against Toronto) - includes season sweeps (3-0) of Buffalo and Florida
- Against Metropolitan Division: 10-10-2 (6 games remain - 2 Washington, 2 Philly, 1 Pittsburgh & 1 NJ) - only potential season sweep is Flyers
Currently winless against Tampa Bay (0-3), Winnipeg (0-2), Calgary (0-1-1) and Washington (0-1-1) - can change that against Caps in home & home this week.

Magic number is 10 - combination of points gained by Canes or not gained by Columbus.

So how likely are the canes to play the Caps in the playoffs? Would be sweet for to see a game in DC.

Very good chance the Canes will play the winner of the Metro division. Caps have a 1 point lead with 6 games left.

Did not realize how close the Canes are to the top three teams. They could finish anywhere.

Last edited:
Very good chance the Canes will play the winner of the Metro division. Caps have a 1 point lead with 6 games left.

Did not realize the close the Canes are to the top three teams. They could finish anywhere.

This. The highest odds that Money Puck assigns to any of the Metro teams (Caps/Isles/Pens/Canes) for any of the playoff positions (1st/2nd/3rd/WC1/WC2) is 38.9%.

Anything is possible with Metro seeding at this point.

Magic number is 10 - combination of points gained by Canes or not gained by Columbus.

It's actually 9 since Montreal and Columbus play each other on Thursday. 100 points will do it for sure, and 99 will be fine if that isn't a three-point game.

So how likely are the canes to play the Caps in the playoffs? Would be sweet for to see a game in DC.

I think the Caps are most likely, especially since we have the two games coming up against each other. If the 'Canes win both that likely bumps us up out of the Wild Card spots and likely bumps the Caps out of the top spot in the Metro, setting up a potential 2 vs. 3 Metro showdown with Wash. Meanwhile, if the Caps win both then they likely win the division which would relegate the 'Canes to (hopefully no worse than) the top Wild Card spot, setting up a matchup there as well

Back