• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

Yeah...I thought was A) a strange offer and B) they knew he would reject it.

It does seem like a strange management of resources, but with their three centers last year, Pittsburgh was hell-ish to match up against. Two lines centered by top five NHL players plus a third that they would match against the other teams top line.

Anyway, I think the discussion of first vs second line gets over emphasized a bit. Put guys together that play well together, and if a team has two good scoring lines it'll make them more difficult to strategize against. Plus Staal is so good defensively, which makes him valuable even if he's not on the top line, IMO.

It does seem like a strange management of resources, but with their three centers last year, Pittsburgh was hell-ish to match up against. Two lines centered by top five NHL players plus a third that they would match against the other teams top line.

Anyway, I think the discussion of first vs second line gets over emphasized a bit. Put guys together that play well together, and if a team has two good scoring lines it'll make them more difficult to strategize against. Plus Staal is so good defensively, which makes him valuable even if he's not on the top line, IMO.
It was also insurance on Crosby.

Really feeling like tonight "Champs for Charity" game out at the All-State Arena is the only chance I'll get to NHLers this year in Chicago.

It was also insurance on Crosby.

True.

Games canceled for all of November. Hardline / scare tactics it is. I saw one writer say that over 2,000 games have been canceled between the three lockouts. The NHL is run by arrogant idiots who like to take a hardline tactic in negotiations, terrible combination. And I'm tired of hearing the players complain after they delayed negotiations for months, plus they are currently expending more energy in PR than negotiations.

Imagine how different a spot we'd be in now if the owners had taken the players' $49MM cap offer last time around.

And now there's a reporter saying that the latest NHL offer was pulled off the table because several owners were not on board. Which means that they never expected the players to accept I guess? But I don't see how they can have any plan in place to get this thing resolved anytime soon. (Though it makes sense, I couldn't believe that Ed Snider signed off on some of those contract restrictions.)

Imagine how different a spot we'd be in now if the owners had taken the players' $49MM cap offer last time around.
Yep, Bettman really wanted to hit a mark in the 30's and it ended up being a gigantic mistake.

Just saw on Twitter an announcement about the cancellation of the Winter Classic and All Star Games is coming Monday. I increasingly believe that this season is already dead.

Yep, Bettman really wanted to hit a mark in the 30's and it ended up being a gigantic mistake.

And now we're in this bizarre, twisted scenario. The players technically lost last time around, big, and the NHL got everything it wanted. So the players have zero trust and are determined not to lose (that much) again. But, in reality, history has shown that the players were the big winners in the CBA crafted by the NHL, and the owners are desperate to get some of that lost money back.

What a trainwreck.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

p9260050.jpg

What happened? What happened? What happened?

I really need to get on twitter.

What happened? What happened? What happened?

I really need to get on twitter.

Nothing not included in the thread. All games canceled in November. (Supposedly owners wanted to be able to plan other events in the arenas.) No one talking to each other. Both sides issuing their press releases that point fingers at one another. And some players that are normally more quiet lashing out, such as Marty St. Louis, and Ryan Suter (who was signed to a $98MM contract a few months ago by one of the owners on the negotiating committee).

*inadvertent post that I apparently can't delete on Tapatalk*

Last edited:
What is the deadline for the WC. I think if that is canceled we will have no hockey this year.

I've seen that the NHL owes $250K to the University of Michigan next Friday for the WC. So they have to decide whether to cancel, pay and hope to get an agreement done, or try to push back the deadline. Obviously they're not going to get a deal done in time.

I've also seen speculation that the NHL may cancel the WC because they know it is leverage for the players. Which seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face, but the same can be said for canceling a season that could bring in over $3.5B of revenue in one year for a difference between the two sides of $500MM spread over five years.

The WC is a HUGH money maker and the most exposure the game gets all year ( by far). If the owners cancel the game just to take away leverage they are dumber than even I thought.

Back