• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2012-2013 NBA Season postmortem

Didn't realize that the picks the Thunder got were the Mavs and Raptors picks, both should be in the mid to late lottery. Thunder can likely trade those picks for the Al Jefferon/Anderson Varejo type players at the deadline. I think this will be a win for the Thunder.

Ric Bucher ‏@RicBucher
It could take some time to determine who won OKC-Hou trade, but the odds are with OKC. Decidedly. More swings at the piñata.

He's good, he's just not max money good. Especially when you have a team with Durant and Westbrook (and Ibaka). The finances seem pretty straightforward to me. And the dropoff in OKC's performance, once Martin is integrated, won't be significant. Compared to most trades when an a star is given up, the Thunder made out like bandits.

RJ, do you think Harden will remotely match those stats now that he's running with Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons and Omer Asik? Bet not.

He'll score way more points.

Asik is a scrub. Lin is a TO machine.

I actually love this trade for OKC.

I think people will be surprised with Perry Jones III, all reports is that he's balling right now with the Thunder. Lamb had a great preseason too. If they can get some real contributions out of those two, they'll be fine. I like the decisive move though, I'm sure the Thunder told Harden that he had to take the 5 years/52mm or he was going to be gone asap.

This obviously gives OKC all kinds of flexibility going forward, but there's no doubt that they're a worse team this year than they were yesterday. That's not a good thing for a team that was a few timely baskets away from a title.

Kevin Martin is not James Harden lite. He's a good shooter, but he won't compliment Durant and Westbrook the same way Harden did, and he's a god, god awful defender. It's too bad they can't combine him with Thabo to form one shooting guard.

Props to Presti for the balls to make this move, though. Clay Bennett fucking blows, this is on him. Harden deserved to get paid top dollar, and he's only going to get better. (And as RJ and Jaybone have pointed out before, he'll be playing into his 40s barring a major injury.) Time will tell if he can be the man on a winning team, but he's definitely going to put up big numbers now. As a fan, I'm just going to miss watching him play with Durant and Westbrook. It was always fun to watch.

The dollar amounts the two sides were apart were staggerringly low is the shocking thing. $2MM a year off? Lame thing to do to your fans.

He'll score way more points.

Asik is a scrub. Lin is a TO machine.

Quoting this for posterity. Asik is going to have a nice year.

He'll score more points, but he won't match those fancy stats you quoted, RJ.

Also, Asik is now probably the most underrated starter in the league. He's going to be a monster this year.

Also, Harden is going to bring Lin's TOs down to an acceptable level this season.

Asik is a decent back-up. playing against starters, his numbers won't be as good.

The dollar amounts the two sides were apart were staggerringly low is the shocking thing. $2MM a year off? Lame thing to do to your fans.

Because of the new luxury tax rules (put in to "protect" small market teams), that $2MM was going to be more like $5-$6MM a year AND totally cap them out.

They basically chose Ibaka over Harden when they signed him - they were never going to be able to keep both. Well see how that ends up playing out.

Everyone loving the move for OKC, they just closed their door to future FA conversations as team unwilling to pay it's players.

Everyone loving the move for OKC, they just closed their door to future FA conversations as team unwilling to pay it's players.

Don't think this is true. They're not a major FA destination anyway.

Quoting this for posterity. Asik is going to have a nice year.

He's going to have a decent year, because he'll play more. But the reality is you can't project his numbers to playing 30+mpg. His numbers were typically gotten against scrubs. You don't get the same amount of rebounds against Dwight Howard, Tim Duncan, Cousins, et al, as you do against subs.

Man, I don't get the Asik love. I watched most every Bulls game last year and I don't see it. He's not particularly quick or strong. His best asset on D is his craftiness, but that's only gonna get you so far running against first-teamers. He does rebound and position well, but I don't think he'll score at the same rate. We'll see. The Houston experiment is intriguing. I hope he does well.

Back