• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2012-2013 NBA Season postmortem

He's good, he's just not max money good. Especially when you have a team with Durant and Westbrook (and Ibaka). The finances seem pretty straightforward to me. And the dropoff in OKC's performance, once Martin is integrated, won't be significant. Compared to most trades when an a star is given up, the Thunder made out like bandits.

RJ, do you think Harden will remotely match those stats now that he's running with Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons and Omer Asik? Bet not.

He's good, he's just not max money good. Especially when you have a team with Durant and Westbrook (and Ibaka). The finances seem pretty straightforward to me. And the dropoff in OKC's performance, once Martin is integrated, won't be significant. Compared to most trades when an a star is given up, the Thunder made out like bandits.

RJ, do you think Harden will remotely match those stats now that he's running with Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons and Omer Asik? Bet not.

I actually think he'll improve his numbers by a decent margin playing with inferior teammates. People forget just how good of a shot creator he is... Between Lin and Harden and assuming they gel, Houston has a pretty intriguing backcourt, IMO

The Thunder essentially picked Kendrick Perkins over James Harden, terrible trade for them, but it should ensure them a title when the Heat finally blow up. Lakers and Heat only have 2-3 years left and then its the time of the Thunder. This moves them in a better position for when their realistic title shots happen.

The Thunder essentially picked Kendrick Perkins over James Harden, terrible trade for them, but it should ensure them a title when the Heat finally blow up. Lakers and Heat only have 2-3 years left and then its the time of the Thunder. This moves them in a better position for when their realistic title shots happen.

How is it a terrible trade, exactly? Presti decided that it was Durant and Westbrook's team and unlike most of these blockbuster trades, he got a ton of value back including Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, and picks.

I actually think he'll improve his numbers by a decent margin playing with inferior teammates. People forget just how good of a shot creator he is... Between Lin and Harden and assuming they gel, Houston has a pretty intriguing backcourt, IMO

I was referring to the stats RJ quoted. Harden's percentages and efficiency will decline. There's no way they won't.

I was referring to the stats RJ quoted. Harden's percentages and efficiency will decline. There's no way they won't.

Except when he played with the 2nd unit in OKC they didn't decline.

28slz5z.jpg

Don't really know who he was playing against and when with that unit. All we know is that he played as well or better without Durant and Westbrook on the floor.

ETA: Sorry for factually disproving that his numbers go down without the other two stars.

...playing against other second units or tired first units

But with lesser players while remaining remarkably efficient. It's a stupid argument. Harden is going to be a boss this year. If anything, then he's lightyears more deserving of a max-extension than Eric Gordon was...

ETA: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Fuck Your Couch again.

If you think Harden's efficiency will improve as a starter for the Rockets and are willing to put your money where your mouth is, I'll take that bet all day.

I was skeptical of Harden as a lead man, max contract guy prior to the Finals, and VERY skeptical afterwards. He was in the absolute perfect situation for him, I'll be interested to see how he performs. My guess is not good enough to ever take the Rockets past the second round threats everyone mystifyingly says is the worst place in the NBA to be in

If you think Harden's efficiency will improve as a starter for the Rockets and are willing to put your money where your mouth is, I'll take that bet all day.

I'm not going to bet, but I think his PER will be higher this year than last (21.13).

Bad trade for OKC.

How so? If they couldn't afford to pay Harden what he wanted, which is the decision that Presti said came down from the ownership group, then they got a lot back before he bolted, leaving them nothing (see Orlando post-Dwight trade).

Good trade for OKC.

FIFW

Martin can play and they get a lottery pick to boot. They give up nobody of consequence in return except for Harden. Good move for OKC. Martin gets to play for a contender for once. It will be interesting to see if he turns it up a notch.

My guess is not good enough to ever take the Rockets past the second round threats everyone mystifyingly says is the worst place in the NBA to be in

Usually they talk about the worst place to be is a perennial is 6-7-8-9-10 seed in the conference with your cap maxed out and not many young players. Prime example are the 7th seeded Bobcats in the 2010 playoffs. They had a bunch of money tied into achieving that goal without many up and coming players on the roster. Purgatory. The only team that was consistently referred to as in purgatory that would win a playoff series occasionally was Atlanta, mainly because they kept trotting out the exact same team over and over again to win 45-50 games and get beat in the 2nd round while not trying/being able to improve.

As far as Houston goes, they can ink Harden to a max and still have enough cap space for another max in the summer of 2013 or 2/3 nice players. They also still have their own draft picks, and a bunch of young rookies/players (Terrance Jones, Donuts, Royce White, Chandler Parsons).

Back