• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Need Recs for the best restaurants in charlotte

Place I want to try but haven't yet is 5Church. Rubbins ate there and gave it a good review and it was bigtime during the DNC. Mainly steaks with some local fare.

http://5church.com/

I haven't talked to anyone who has been yet. Still trying to figure out if they are just really good marketers and users of social media, or if it really is a solid restaurant.

Another option that has never disappointed me: 300 East. Sat next to Claire Danes there a few weeks ago.

Those are all good to great restaurants, but only a handful belong in the "Best" category. There's really nothing special about Aria, Blue, BLT Steak, Del Friscos, Luce, or Zebra. They're good upscale restaurants that replicate an experience you can have an just about any big city.

Copper is pretty good Indian food, more upscale than typical. Lots of Indians there every night. I wouldn't call it the best in Charlotte though.

Avoid Customshop. It's not bad, but it probably should only be on the bottom of that list. Great if you're headed to the Visulite for a show though.

The Liberty has a great beer selection and an awesome burger as well as some great apps.

Some of the other places are more casual.

Another option that has never disappointed me: 300 East. Sat next to Claire Danes there a few weeks ago.

Yeah, she stays in South End. I hate that fucking place though. My wife and I got in a huge argument there several years ago and I don't think we've been back.

If you eat at The Liberty, eat in the bar area or on the patio. The dining room is kind of ridiculous looking.

I haven't talked to anyone who has been yet. Still trying to figure out if they are just really good marketers and users of social media, or if it really is a solid restaurant.

Every person I have talked to has described it the same way: really really good, but overpriced. I can't figure out how that's possible. It can be good, but expensive. But to be overpriced it would have to not be worth the prices, and everybody has thought it was worth what they charged.

So basically, I think I have friends/coworkers who don't know the meaning of "overpriced". But they all like it a lot.

And ftr, I think fig tree is your best bet.

Yeah, she stays in South End. I hate that fucking place though. My wife and I got in a huge argument there several years ago and I don't think we've been back.

It always hits the spot for me in the fall and almost solely because of the sweet potato ravioli with gorgonzola cream sauce. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever been there any other time of the year.

Every person I have talked to has described it the same way: really really good, but overpriced.

That kind of review just furthers my wonder. If you leave feeling it was overpriced, was it really really good food or are you just saying that because of the hype?

It's solid. Haven't been since their chef left for Halcyon though. I live close by as well. Lots of great options in the area, so I rarely get to LuLu's.

I am in Villa Heights, so almost perfectly between NoDa and Plaza Midwood. So far in Midwood, I have been to Akahana's for sushi and three amigos for Mexican. Oh and Fuel Pizza.

I ate at Harvest Moon for brunch this weekend. It was one of the worst meals I've had in a long time. Simply terrible.

Barrington's and Rooster's are my two favorites, especially on someone else's dime. I also enjoy Del Frisco's bar menu for the people watching that comes with it.

I've only been to Upsteam once, but it was just okay. Also, everyone there was over 70. It was bizarre.

I ate at Harvest Moon for brunch this weekend. It was one of the worst meals I've had in a long time. Simply terrible.

I like their theme (local, slow food...the chef's partner runs a farm full time), but I agree that the food is lacking. Honestly, I enjoy their food cart more than their restaurant.

Haven't eaten there yet, but the people I've talked to who have all gave it good reviews. If I remember, correctly it is run by 2 guys who thought they had an equity interet in Butter but the owner screwed them, so they left and opened up 5Church. That location is a graveyard for restaurants, so the fact that it has made it a few months without going under is probably a good sign.

My favorite is Bentley's on 27. http://www.bentleyson27.com/ Barrington's is awesome and less expensive than Bentley's. Never been to Good Food on Montford, but it's owned by the Barrington's people and I've heard nothing but good reviews.

My favorite is Bentley's on 27. http://www.bentleyson27.com/ Barrington's is awesome and less expensive than Bentley's. Never been to Good Food on Montford, but it's owned by the Barrington's people and I've heard nothing but good reviews.

woah, didn't have any idea about this.

I really like the food at good food (just went on Friday), but every time I go, I leave still being hungry. You'd have to order at least 3 plates per person to actually be full, IMO. Granted, I have a big appetite. But the plates are very, very small. DHToy and i had 4 plates and a dessert to split between the two of us (plus the bread), and i was still quite hungry when we left.

This is the kind of thread where I miss DemonDKE's posts. RIP.

Also, McNinch House It is a very quiet, subdued atmosphere. Rarely are there more than a handful of tables being served at a time.

I know it's not really unique, but Del Frisco's was one of the best steak dinners I've ever had.

Back