• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Need Recs for the best restaurants in charlotte

Also, no cab. Use Uber. I've heard ok things about Lyft too. Some bars even have coupons for free/discounted rides.

Charleston was too expensive this weekend so I snagged a priceline deal at the Omni.

We haven't spent any time beyond football games in Charlotte, no idea what to do besides hit up NoDa. Looking for dinner and brunch recs preferably within walking or short cab distance. We are young and pretty poor, would prefer fun over fine.
Toast for brunch (it gets crowded SUN)

Mac's, Price's Chicken Coop, VBGB are fun reasonably priced places with good food. Price's doesn't have a seating area but the chicken is awesome.

For uptown walking places, Mert's is good southern food. Not Just Coffee has really good coffee/espresso drinks and it's in the public market (neat to walk around).

Last edited:
You can take the light rail southward to New Bern station and hit up Triple C Brewery.

Mac's, Price's Chicken Coop, VBGB are fun reasonably priced places with good food.

If you want BBQ, Midwood Smokehouse is another option (and much better than Mac's IMO). It's in a neighborhood too with a few good restaurants, shops, bars, so it might be more worth the ride than heading out to Mac's.

Gonna bump this

Is there anyplace to get decent Chinese food in Charlotte?

I ate at Good Food yet again last night. Still terrific. They use the Nowait call ahead app now so you can time your arrival.

I posted this in the Triad thread

Zanzibar (African) Cafe in NoDa is delicious. It's a little hole in the wall place with 3 tables. I got the Liberian style Jollof rice with chicken, beef, and turkey, and it's amazing. Bonus, their restaurant hot sauce will light your ass up. My wife got the rotisserie curry chicken and black beans, and it looked great.

I posted this in the Triad thread

Zanzibar (African) Cafe in NoDa is delicious. It's a little hole in the wall place with 3 tables. I got the Liberian style Jollof rice with chicken, beef, and turkey, and it's amazing. Bonus, their restaurant hot sauce will light your ass up. My wife got the rotisserie curry chicken and black beans, and it looked great.

See, I assumed NoDa was north Davidson County since you posted there.

We ate and drank at VBGB last night before a concert and had a pretty good time. The beer is better than the food.

I've come around on Bobbee O's having the best BBQ in Charlotte. It is always consistent, and I tend to like old school places that have just one excellent sauce instead of all of the hipster millennial BBQ places with 8 different mediocre sauce options trying to hedge their bets. Trust your best and go with it, if someone doesn't like it then fuck 'em.

I had the Smoke Pit yesterday for the first time and it was pretty damn good

The Liberty closing in SouthEnd. Didn't realize that Matthew Pera had died.

Also The Stanley opening May 15 at the old Crisp space on E 7th St.

People still going crazy at Shake Shack.

eta: Pera killed himself.

Last edited:
The shake shack frenzy is just stupid.

That crappy old shopping center in Elizabeth has def turned it around with the new look and new tenants. Pretty impressive even with a dollar general.

I need to try that fast Indian place near southpark

Back