• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

LOL, I'm not much younger than you and while I didn't hit 1600 myself -- fuck the English comp part -- I know 5 kids that hit 1600 from RJ Reynolds, Tabor, and West combined. And there could have been more. I've never been a social butterfly.

I graduated from one of the toughest high schools in the country in 1996 (University High in Tucson, AZ...was consistently ranked top 10 in national rankings), and my graduating class was either the first or 2nd year of the re-centered test scores. We had at least 10 kids score a 1600 in a class of 150. Prior classes would have anywhere from 1-3 kids get a 1600. The scoring got dramatically easier in the mid 90's and cheapened a perfect score.

Not to call bullshit, but...

The percentage of students that got a perfect score pre-1995 was around .002 percent. If a million kids took the test each year that's around 20 that would get a 1600. Having multiple kids from one school score a 1600, or consistently having at least one student score a 1600 pre-1995 would be highly improbable.

They also didn't dumb down the test in 1995, but just recalibrated the scoring to avoid the result of a student getting all of the questions right yet still not getting a perfect score.

NYT article about the changes

As to Carson's claim:

In 1948 there were less than 100,000 SAT test takers. By 1961 there were around 800,000 and by 1968 (when Carson likely took the test) there were almost a million. This means in the 20 years prior to Carson taking the test, approximately 12 million people took the SAT. If that .002 perfect score figure has been consistent through the years that means approximately 240 people got perfect scores in the 20 years leading up to 1968.

The average population of Detroit over that span was a little less than one percent of the average population of the U.S. Meaning if you assume an even distribution of perfect scores throughout the U.S. (not a great assumption) then you would expect around 2 people from Detroit to score a 1600 on the SAT between 1948-1968.

Carson deserves a lot of shit for his actual positions, and maybe for some of his biographical inaccuracies, but this is pretty meh, IMO.

How would anyone know? That's my real question - do they release geographic information related to SAT scores?

One of my highschool classmates who shared my first and last name got a 1600 on the SAT and was a state champion cross country runner and went to NC State on the Parks Scholarship. He is now a Burning Man level hippie and lives in a solar powered school bus that he drives around the southwest and rocky mountains, traveling to concerts and festivals

As to Carson's claim:

In 1948 there were less than 100,000 SAT test takers. By 1961 there were around 800,000 and by 1968 (when Carson likely took the test) there were almost a million. This means in the 20 years prior to Carson taking the test, approximately 12 million people took the SAT. If that .002 perfect score figure has been consistent through the years that means approximately 240 people got perfect scores in the 20 years leading up to 1968.

The average population of Detroit over that span was a little less than one percent of the average population of the U.S. Meaning if you assume an even distribution of perfect scores throughout the U.S. (not a great assumption) then you would expect around 2 people from Detroit to score a 1600 on the SAT between 1948-1968.

Carson deserves a lot of shit for his actual positions, and maybe for some of his biographical inaccuracies, but this is pretty meh, IMO.

Exactly.

I took that to mean he had the highest score in Detroit history when he took it. That's possible. Who knows if it's true but it's possible.

One of my highschool classmates who shared my first and last name got a 1600 on the SAT and was a state champion cross country runner and went to NC State on the Parks Scholarship. He is now a Burning Man level hippie and lives in a solar powered school bus that he drives around the southwest and rocky mountains, traveling to concerts and festivals

Sounds pretty smart to me

10016_577113449015455_541801935_n.jpg

I'll never understand why Tebow was so known for a TD celebration that predated him by decades.

So many evangelical Christians hold up Tebow as some type of martyr, as if he was kicked out of the league for being a Christian.

So many evangelical Christians hold up Tebow as some type of martyr, as if he was kicked out of the league for being a Christian.

Being a white Christian in America is so easy that some choose to make up problems in order to personally identify with the Old Testament Israelites and New Testament Christians.

Being a white Christian in America is so easy that some choose to make up problems in order to personally identify with the Old Testament Israelites and New Testament Christians.

Being white isn't all Disney World and Sociology. We get beat down pretty hard.

I seriously doubt Yale had recycling bins when Carson was in college.

Back