• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

Oh look, facts

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/armed-civilians-do-not-stop-mass-shootings

Appalachian School of Law shooting in Grundy, Virginia
Gun rights die-hards frequently credit the end of a rampage at the law school in 2002 to armed "students" who intervened. They conveniently ignore that those students also happened to be current and former law enforcement officers, and that the killer, according to police investigators, was out of ammunition by the time they got to him.

Middle school dance shooting in Edinboro, Pennsylvania
An ambiguous case from 1998, in which the shooter may well have already been done shooting: After killing a teacher and wounding three others, the 14-year-old perpetrator left the dance venue. The owner of the venue followed him outside with a shotgun, confronting and subduing him in a nearby field until police arrived. The Atlantic's Jeffrey Goldberg, who himself recently argued for more guns as an answer to gun violence, told me this week that one police source he talked to about this case said that it was "not clear at all" whether the kid had intended to do any further shooting after he'd left the building.

High school shooting in Pearl, Mississippi
Another case, from 1997, in which the shooting was apparently already over: After killing two and wounding seven inside Pearl High School, the 16-year-old perpetrator left the building and went outside near the parking lot. The assistant principal—who was also a commander in the Army reserves—ran out to his own vehicle, grabbed a handgun he kept there, and then approached the shooter, subduing him at gunpoint until authorities arrived.

New Life Church shooting in Colorado Springs
In 2007 a gunman killed two people and wounded three others before being shot himself; the pro-gun crowd likes to refer to the woman who took him out in the parking lot as a "church member." Never mind that she was a security officer for the church and a former cop, and that the church had put its security team on high alert earlier that day due to another church shooting nearby.

Bar shooting in Winnemucca, Nevada
In 2008, a gunman who killed two and wounded two others was taken out by another patron in the bar, who was carrying with a valid permit. But this was no regular Joe with a concealed handgun: The vigilante, who was not charged after authorities determined he'd committed a justifiable homicide, was a US Marine.

Even better:

And what about cases in which citizens try to use their guns and things go terribly wrong? There are at least two examples of ill-fated attempts that you won't see mentioned by those arguing for your kid's teacher to start stashing a loaded Glock in her classroom:

Shopping mall shooting in Tacoma, Washington
As a rampage unfolded in 2005, a civilian with a concealed carry permit named Brendan McKown confronted the assailant with his handgun. The shooter pumped several bullets into McKown, wounding six people before eventually surrendering to police after a hostage standoff. A comatose McKown eventually recovered after weeks in the hospital.

Courthouse shooting in Tyler, Texas
In 2005, a civilian named Mark Wilson, who was a firearms instructor, fired his licensed handgun at a man on a rampage at the county courthouse. Wilson was shot dead by the body-armored assailant, who wielded an AK-47.

Such actions in chaotic situations don't just put the well-intentioned citizen at risk, of course. According to Robert McMenomy, an assistant special agent in charge in the San Francisco division of the FBI, they increase the danger for innocent bystanders. They also make law enforcement officers' jobs more difficult. "In a scenario like that," he told me in a recent conversation, "they wouldn't know who was good or who was bad, and it would divert them from the real threat."

After I posted that New Yorker article on a friends' FB page another guy dropped in with:

Paul, I wouldn't expect any less from a liberal rag such as The New Yorker and since I don't know you other than this liberal response to a video that *NAME REDACTED* posted I would bet that you are a gun control supporter. If you want to come and attempt to take my guns, you can pry it from my cold dead hand!

I merely responded:

I don't personally want your guns, so no worries, Mr. Heston. I'm also sorry to hear about the loss of your second hand. That is unfortunate. I hope it didn't happen in a shooting accident.

Just not in the mood to debate with idiots today.

twas' 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38
when 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven's gate.
their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the ai
r.
they could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.
they were fille
d with such joy, they didn't know what to say.
they remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.
"where are we?" asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.
"this is heaven." declared a small boy. "we're spending Christmas at God's house."
when what to their wondering eyes did appear,
but Jesus, their savior, the children gathered near.
He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.
then He opened His arms and He called them by name.
and in that moment was joy, that only heaven can bring
those children all flew into the arms of their King
and as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,
one small girl turned and looked at Jesus' face.
and as if He could read all the questions she had
He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of mom and dad."
then He looked down on earth, the world far below
He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe
then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
"Let My power and presence re-enter this land!"
"may this country be delivered from the hands of fools"
"I'm taking back my nation. I'm taking back my schools!"
then He and the children stood up without a sound.
"come now my children, let me show you around."
excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran.
all displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.
and i heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
"in the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT."

Man I hate people.

uuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh my coworker just emailed this to me.

"Matt":
What if a woman is about to get raped by a group of twisted men? Say 5 people. And lets say she has a gun, but shes really scared. Maybe shes had some target practice, but shes not the best shot either. Would you want to limit her to 5 bullets per clip? If you ask me, having extra bullets might ease her mind just a little tiny bit knowing that she could afford a miss and take the next shot. It would ease mine! Allowing me to focus to protect my life.

But how about coming at this as a product too? Why shouldnt the company be able to sell its product which holds 30 rounds? Why should the government be involved in private enterprise? Why should government have the power to wave the wand and say no more 30 round clips and possibly sentence that women to death because she had one miss and only had a 5 round clip? (Still pretty damn good shootin' if you ask me, considering they would be moving targets and shes in a life or possible death situation)

Or how about this. Why can't gun stores just...choose NOT to sell 30 round clips? They can sell 5 rounders, 10 rounders! Thats how the free market works. Rhetorical. The answer is because people want bigger clips to offer them a shred of peace of mind in a dire situation. And to have a majority of people saying you can't is literally that majority taking away that only piece of comfort i might have when in a terrible situation.

Terrible thing mandation is. I'd give the women the 30 round clip. What say you?

Response:
Hell why not just let her drive around in a tank?

"Matt":
Lol chris, a tank is a little out of context here isnt what im saying. Too expensive, too much specialization needed, and it would just tear up the roads. CT has enough pot holes already.

"Matt" again:
What if shes in her home? Ive shot a 22 with a 30 round banana clip. Why is that far fetched?

Response:
Please refer to my first comment.

"Matt":
Dude, if the only thing you throw at me is some sarcasm about a women driving a tank down main street blowing stuff up except the coach purse store, and then infer im stupid? Come on guy.

Response:
Matt: Defeating your own straw man argument against limiting the size of magazines is a poor way of making your point.

"Matt" (abruptly switching focus):
In kennesaw georgia (a great example) local government made it mandatory for all home owners to own a gun in 1982. Between then and now there had been like..only 5 murders. Ironicly enough, 3 of those murders happened in gun free zones (around schools).

Criminals dont care about laws or the zones. They care to do harm, wherever they want.

Just goes to show, be protected. Or just wait for someone else to do it! Whatevs.

"Matt":
Pretty sure the tea party jussttr posted something about this. Go read about it.

A little comic relief courtesy of George Takei

262775_573021626060628_1616935942_n.jpg

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY
In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. >From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated
In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated
Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.
Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.
Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!
The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.
With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.
During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!
If you value your freedom, please spread this antigun-control message to all of your friends.
SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!
IT'S A NO BRAINER!
DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.
Spread the word everywhere you can that you are a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment!

It's time to speak loud before they try to silence and disarm us.
You're not imagining it, history shows that governments always manipulate tragedies to attempt to disarm the people~

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY
In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. >From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated
In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated
Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.
Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.
Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!
The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.
With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.
During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!
If you value your freedom, please spread this antigun-control message to all of your friends.
SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!
IT'S A NO BRAINER!
DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.
Spread the word everywhere you can that you are a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment!

It's time to speak loud before they try to silence and disarm us.
You're not imagining it, history shows that governments always manipulate tragedies to attempt to disarm the people~

There are no words.

I am not going to bother to fact check that post, but the line about the Japanese not invading America because we all had guns is LOL hilarious.

I don't post often but had to post this one. Too golden too waste. FB post from a high school "acquaintance." The ironic part is that most of her facebook profile pics are of her and her elementary school-aged children.

"Gun control. I keep seeing these memes, but not one has actually said it - ANY kind of gun 'control' is unconstitutional. That's it. The 2nd amendment actually says that ANY kind of weapon that the government has is to be available to the citizens also. This LEGALLY means that I am allowed to keep a tank in my driveway and own a nuke. You can argue it all you want, but that's what it is. I have actually read the 2nd amendment.
Common sense dictates that regular citizens should not actually own tanks or nukes, but any GUN that our military has should be available. This is actually so that we can defend ourselves against our own government if need be, and they won't have the automatic win since they're armed and we're not. It shouldn't even be up for debate.

I don't post often but had to post this one. Too golden too waste. FB post from a high school "acquaintance." The ironic part is that most of her facebook profile pics are of her and her elementary school-aged children.

"Gun control. I keep seeing these memes, but not one has actually said it - ANY kind of gun 'control' is unconstitutional. That's it. The 2nd amendment actually says that ANY kind of weapon that the government has is to be available to the citizens also. This LEGALLY means that I am allowed to keep a tank in my driveway and own a nuke. You can argue it all you want, but that's what it is. I have actually read the 2nd amendment.
Common sense dictates that regular citizens should not actually own tanks or nukes, but any GUN that our military has should be available. This is actually so that we can defend ourselves against our own government if need be, and they won't have the automatic win since they're armed and we're not. It shouldn't even be up for debate.

:rulz:

Oh dear god! There is that idea again that somehow our armed populace would be able to fight our own military b/c of handguns and such.

The 2nd amendment actually says that ANY kind of weapon that the government has is to be available to the citizens also. This LEGALLY means that I am allowed to keep a tank in my driveway and own a nuke. You can argue it all you want, but that's what it is. I have actually read the 2nd amendment.

Lols:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Back