• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

From a friend of mine working in Nairobi and was there before the attack:

"It is awesome to wake up in a country that expereinced a terrorist attack in the last week and to be forced to wonder whether I'm an essential employee or not. How disheartening to learn that while I slept in my bed thousands of miles away from my home, my family, and friends, doing my job for my country, that Congress couldn't do theirs. To all my friends and family who are serving overseas (particularly those serving in the "garden spots") please continue to stay safe and know that we appreciate your service and all that you are doing for our country. God bless all of you.

Dear Congress: Please do your job so that we can do ours."

spot on

the one far right friend remaining on my feed is having a big time today. He posted this at midnight:

"3.....2.....1..... Um, nothing unusual happened. They said the country was shutting down, but the power is still on, the water is still running. As far as I can tell, the planets aren't spinning out of their orbits. Satellites and airplanes aren't falling from the sky. Congress and the president are still getting paid.

As I suspected, it appears we don't actually NEED all the crap the Federal government says it does with our tax dollars. Here's hoping it lasts forever.

Nighty night fellow citizens."

And now he is arguing with one of my far lefty friends about how the SCOTUS turned themselves into tyrants when they decided Marbury vs. Madison and the SCOTUS should have been impeached back then.

the one far right friend remaining on my feed is having a big time today. He posted this at midnight:

"3.....2.....1..... Um, nothing unusual happened. They said the country was shutting down, but the power is still on, the water is still running. As far as I can tell, the planets aren't spinning out of their orbits. Satellites and airplanes aren't falling from the sky. Congress and the president are still getting paid.

As I suspected, it appears we don't actually NEED all the crap the Federal government says it does with our tax dollars. Here's hoping it lasts forever.

Nighty night fellow citizens."

And now he is arguing with one of my far lefty friends about how the SCOTUS turned themselves into tyrants when they decided Marbury vs. Madison and the SCOTUS should have been impeached back then.

They're gonna shut down the federal courthouse cafeteria so I'm going to have to bring my own lunch. That's disappointing and impacts me directly. More seriously though most of the people working for the US Attorney in the civil division are being told not to come in beyond the four hour grace period today. Obviously criminal staff still needs to be here since they're not going to put the Speedy Trial Act on hold for this (I guess).

i believe criminal trials still must go on but there is some question about whether civil cases will proceed. drug cases are like 90% of the workload of the federal courts anyway.

I fucking loved it when I got furloughed in '96. It amounted to a paid vacation and nobody noticed the shutdown, even in DC. Maybe some local eateries did, but that's about it.

I don't know how likely it is that furloughed employees get paid for their time off this time around. Is it pretty likely?

i believe criminal trials still must go on but there is some question about whether civil cases will proceed. drug cases are like 90% of the workload of the federal courts anyway.

Yeah most of the civil stuff is just forfeiture and SEC type stuff from what I can garner.

I don't know how likely it is that furloughed employees get paid for their time off this time around. Is it pretty likely?

from what I have read Congress would have to authorize payment for the furlough days, it is not automatic that they get back pay when the government reopens. There are some people that have to work without pay (I think mainly in the justice system) and they do get back pay.

Last week I was told to keep coming in unless I heard otherwise. I was like yeah I'm an unpaid intern working for a judge, I'm not even being deprived of anything.

Last week I was told to keep coming in unless I heard otherwise. I was like yeah I'm an unpaid intern working for a judge, I'm not even being deprived of anything.

NASAVoyager2 ‏@NASAVoyager2 11h

Due to government shutdown, we will not be posting or responding from this account. Farewell, humans. Sort it out yourselves.

378274_509507245771432_1384265332_n.png

Maybe, maybe not. That's not as clear cut of an issue as many think.

Term limits would completely hand the government over to special interests. Every man in Washington would be voting solely in ways to secure their next corporate job. It'd be a disaster. They might as well wear NASCAR badges, or hand out resumes to possible future employers.

We need campaign finance reform, not term limits, to fix the mess. Get the money out of getting elected.

Back