• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

well, at the end of the day the purpose was to hurt someone's feelings. So the high ground is "accept it when i call you names"?

People call you white because you’re white.

At least when I was in school, the story tended to be about how colonists were subject to religious or other persecutions at home and risked their lives to cross the ocean and struggle to survive in a new and dangerous land populated by friendly but ultimately malevolent natives. They were the victims!

At least when I was in school, the story tended to be about how colonists were subject to religious or other persecutions at home and risked their lives to cross the ocean and struggle to survive in a new and dangerous land populated by friendly but ultimately malevolent natives. They were the victims!

And now, the story is that white evangelicals are subject to religious and other persecutions at home and the US is becoming a new and dangerous land populated by malevolent immigrants.

And now, the story is that white evangelicals are subject to religious and other persecutions at home and the US is becoming a new and dangerous land populated by malevolent immigrants.
Sort of. I don't think this narrative is being taught in schools though. Nor do I think it is universally embraced by well-meaning educators who happen to lack perspective.

Sort of. I don't think this narrative is being taught in schools though. Nor do I think it is universally embraced by well-meaning educators who happen to lack perspective.

No. That's the narrative being spread through conservative media. And it could be in history books on this era soon enough.

i guess that hurts strick's feelings or something

What? No, but for the amount of time that you have put into learning about topics that you're really invested in, it comes off as pretty callous when you get all "meh, SJW warriors, hurt feelings" when it comes to an agreed upon fact about Christopher Columbus being a piece of shit.

It's also the truth that WASPs by and large are colonizers. Off-white/conditionally white people like Jews, Irish people, Italians, etc. can claim a higher ground if they want, but we're all accepted as white at this point so I really don't take it too personally when somebody lumps me in with white people. By and large, white people have been pretty awful to non-white people. It's just a fact of history. It's an ugly fact of history, but it's hard to "meh" off.

This may be an all-time great.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/10/23/its-a-gay-bar-pamela-hilarious-meme-outraged-trump-supporter/
its-a-gay-bar-pamela1.jpg

Not crazy, but I'm not sure where else to post this.

What? No, but for the amount of time that you have put into learning about topics that you're really invested in, it comes off as pretty callous when you get all "meh, SJW warriors, hurt feelings" when it comes to an agreed upon fact about Christopher Columbus being a piece of shit.

It's also the truth that WASPs by and large are colonizers. Off-white/conditionally white people like Jews, Irish people, Italians, etc. can claim a higher ground if they want, but we're all accepted as white at this point so I really don't take it too personally when somebody lumps me in with white people. By and large, white people have been pretty awful to non-white people. It's just a fact of history. It's an ugly fact of history, but it's hard to "meh" off.

Christopher Columbus is a piece of shit. I teach this when I teach Columbus's letters to Ferdinand and Isabella. All our history teachers teach this, and I teach at a tiny, mostly white school in Bumfuck, Western NC. I'm pretty sure that colonialism isn't glossed over in the NC high school curriculum.

Columbus was an Italian and the holiday was created specifically to find a way to celebrate the achievements of Italians.

Is it totally lost on you people that the first Europeans to discover America were way whiter than Columbus and they don't even have a holiday ?

The trolley picks up the first group of people. Then the people on the trolley yell at the second group of people tied to the tracks to just get on the trolley like they did while refusing to stop the trolley.

That’s dead on.

Historians are going to look back and see the post-WWII era through the Civil Rights era as the true period of American greatness and then Watergate through Trump as the period of Republican corruption during which the late Silent Generation and Boomers latched on to Nixonian ideals and embraced corruption as a means of accomplishing their goals.

Back