• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

They are both heavily subsidized industries. They are also about as different as two businesses can be. Trying to draw direct comparisons between a college degree and a happy meal is, indeed, crazy and appropriate for this thread.

Looks like we need to cut teacher pay since they get the summer off.

How to Lose the Midterms and Re-elect Trump

Is Bruni right?

Dear Robert De Niro, Samantha Bee and other Trump haters:

I get that you’re angry. I’m angry, too. But anger isn’t a strategy. Sometimes it’s a trap. When you find yourself spewing four-letter words, you’ve fallen into it. You’ve chosen cheap theatrics over the long game, catharsis over cunning. You think you’re raising your fist when you’re really raising a white flag.

You’re right that Donald Trump is a dangerous and deeply offensive man, and that restraining and containing him are urgent business. You’re wrong about how to go about doing that, or at least you’re letting your emotions get the better of you.

When you answer name-calling with name-calling and tantrums with tantrums, you’re not resisting him. You’re mirroring him. You’re not diminishing him. You’re demeaning yourselves. Many voters don’t hear your arguments or the facts, which are on your side. They just wince at the din.

You permit them to see you as you see Trump: deranged. Why would they choose a different path if it goes to another ugly destination?

Of course this is broader than De Niro, bigger than Bee and about more than profanity. It’s about maturity, pragmatism and plain old smarts — and the necessity of all three when the stakes are this high.

Many Democrats get that. Maybe even most do. In the primaries last week and on Tuesday, Democratic voters by and large chose House candidates whose appeals were tempered and whose profiles make them formidable general-election contenders. They’re the best bets for wooing less fiercely partisan voters and snatching seats currently in Republican hands.

The results in Virginia’s 10th Congressional District on Tuesday were a perfect example. State Senator Jennifer Wexton, a former federal prosecutor, won, and will take on the Republican incumbent, Barbara Comstock. That was precisely what Republican strategists didn’t want, and at the beginning of the year, they chattered hopefully about Wexton’s being thwarted by more strident Democratic rivals to her left. But she beat the second-place finisher by almost 20 points.

I’m buoyed by that and by what I’ve witnessed when I’ve met with Democratic candidates in potentially red-to-blue House districts. They’re not getting bogged down in impeachment talk, which can sound to many voters like a promise of ceaseless partisan rancor and never-ending Washington paralysis. They’re not frothing at the mouth about Trump.

They understand that there’s no need for that. He’s the most exhaustively chronicled and psychologically transparent president in the lifetimes of most American voters, who already know how they feel about him. What they’re less certain about are their alternatives. If you want to make sure that at least one chamber of Congress is a check on Trump, talk to them about that.

And do so in a vocabulary that’s measured, not hysterical. Enough with “idiot” and “moron” (unless you’re directly quoting an administration official). They’re schoolyard and splenetic.

Enough with Hitler, too. Has Trump shown fascistic tendencies? Yes. Is he the second coming of the Third Reich? No. Nor are the spineless Republicans who have enabled him Nazi collaborators, not on the evidence of what has and hasn’t happened so far.

I’m not urging complacency. But when you invoke the darkest historical analogies, you lose many of the very Americans you’re trying to win over. What you’re saying isn’t what they’re seeing. It’s overreach in their eyes.

And when you make the direst predictions, you needlessly put your credibility on the line. The stock market didn’t go into free fall after Trump’s election. We’re not at war with North Korea. I’m not ignoring the grave flaws and galling giveaways in his tax overhaul, and I’m not minimizing his disregard for diplomatic norms, including his unwarranted verbal attacks on American allies. I’m noting that when you extrapolate too wildly into the future, you sometimes wind up distracting people from what’s happening in the here and now.

The more noise, the less discernment. The more fury, the less focus. Proportion and triage are in order, and that means an end, please, to the Melania madness. Floating the idea that she’s a victim of domestic abuse merely supports Trump’s contention that his critics are reflexive and unfettered in their contempt for him and that all of their complaints should be viewed through that lens.

“When they go low, we go high,” said another first lady, Michelle Obama, at the Democratic National Convention in 2016. It’s a fine set of marching orders, disobeyed ever since. It was definitely ignored by those of you in the Manhattan theater where the Tony Awards were held on Sunday. You answered De Niro’s expletives with a standing ovation.

Never mind that he wrested the spotlight from the Parkland, Fla., teenagers, so that his negative message, not their positive one, was the big story. Never mind that he squandered a chance to model a bearing more dignified than Trump’s.

He made the blue wave look iffier and Trump 2020 stronger. Did you mean to be clapping for that?

Maybe. It’s always interesting how these articles don’t acknowledge that Trump and the Republicans won on pure hate for Obama and Hillary without any policy initiatives beyond “repeal and replace.” Yet Democrats are supposed to “go high” and can’t otherwise.

I think political pundits get far too navel-gazey about the things they give out-sized coverage to (and the things they are terrified they missed in 2016.) Most people don't care about what Robert De Niro said. We just flipped a Trump +14 seat, two days after the Tony Awards. (Which, I'll say every time, doesn't mean winning is a given. It just means that the work on the ground is more important than whatever the latest NY Times Op Ed is about.)

Agree with some, but there needs to be noise and anger -- enthusiasm is waning as this becomes the new normal. That can't happen.

Magary nails it again:

https://www.gq.com/story/this-is-why-trump-won

"On Wednesday, MSNBC correspondent Jacob Soboroff got to tour a former Walmart turned detention facility—a prison, really—for immigrant children, many of whom have been forcibly separated from their parents by U.S. officials. There, he found a Soviet-style mural of President Trump alongside a quote from The Art of the Deal. According to Soboroff, the kids only get two hours outside a day. The prison is growing overcrowded and is only getting worse, thanks to the Trump administration’s zeal for prosecuting immigrants, some of whom were already living here legally. And these are just the kids who are accounted for. There are also, of course, over a thousand immigrant children who are now UNACCOUNTED for.

In other news, Robert De Niro said a bad word in public.

This was apparently an egregious enough offense that it merited two separate op-eds in The Washington Post, and another op-ed in The New York Times from Frank Bruni, who was once a wonderful restaurant critic and is now one of the most singularly inane political columnists working today, which is saying a lot! His column about De Niro came in the form of an open letter, because Bruni is apparently an 8th grader. It’s also full of the same tepid, tut-tutting “Take the high road” hogwash that helped get us into this mess in the first place. Worst of all, Bruni posits all of his pathetic complacency as a grand, overarching form of political strategy.

When you answer name-calling with name-calling and tantrums with tantrums, you’re not resisting [Trump]. You’re mirroring him. You’re not diminishing him. You’re demeaning yourselves. Many voters don’t hear your arguments or the facts, which are on your side. They just wince at the din.

You will excuse me if I think it’s my right to kick up a din when everything is colossally FUCKED."

Magary nails it again:

https://www.gq.com/story/this-is-why-trump-won

"On Wednesday, MSNBC correspondent Jacob Soboroff got to tour a former Walmart turned detention facility—a prison, really—for immigrant children, many of whom have been forcibly separated from their parents by U.S. officials. There, he found a Soviet-style mural of President Trump alongside a quote from The Art of the Deal. According to Soboroff, the kids only get two hours outside a day. The prison is growing overcrowded and is only getting worse, thanks to the Trump administration’s zeal for prosecuting immigrants, some of whom were already living here legally. And these are just the kids who are accounted for. There are also, of course, over a thousand immigrant children who are now UNACCOUNTED for.

In other news, Robert De Niro said a bad word in public.

This was apparently an egregious enough offense that it merited two separate op-eds in The Washington Post, and another op-ed in The New York Times from Frank Bruni, who was once a wonderful restaurant critic and is now one of the most singularly inane political columnists working today, which is saying a lot! His column about De Niro came in the form of an open letter, because Bruni is apparently an 8th grader. It’s also full of the same tepid, tut-tutting “Take the high road” hogwash that helped get us into this mess in the first place. Worst of all, Bruni posits all of his pathetic complacency as a grand, overarching form of political strategy.

When you answer name-calling with name-calling and tantrums with tantrums, you’re not resisting [Trump]. You’re mirroring him. You’re not diminishing him. You’re demeaning yourselves. Many voters don’t hear your arguments or the facts, which are on your side. They just wince at the din.

You will excuse me if I think it’s my right to kick up a din when everything is colossally FUCKED."

Magery IS right. But couching the same decades old corporate blue dog bullshit with celebrities cussing is not "kicking up a din". The only people impressed with Robert Dinero were going to vote Dem anyway. The public outrage of the celebrity left is masturbatory.

The problem with a coursening decorum isnt the decorum, it's the lack of any other significant change.

35414682_941404732688332_354379774522556416_n.jpg

From a real life interaction at a fast food restaurant:
CSPAN was on the TV showing Trump's White House interview the Fox News anchor.

Trumpian: Hey look! The media is trying to attack Trump again! He's done nothing but help everybody.

Me: It would be nice if he could get NK to give up nukes.

Trumpian: Oh! He already has! They signed the papers and everything.

Not crazy. (Snopes says that this is indeed by Dr Seuss).

35530265_1770595919644763_7858495966364565504_n.png

Suess hated the Nazis, and hated American isolationists (like Charles Lindbergh) who wanted us to stay out of the war. He did a number of other cartoons along the lines of the one above. One showed Hitler as a crazy woodpecker cutting down trees labeled France, Greece, Poland, etc. He was working on cutting down the England tree, and Uncle Sam is sitting smugly in the USA tree, saying something to effect "When he chops down that last tree, he'll be too tired to go after this one." He also went after Lindbergh, one of the leading isolationists, directly. I've seen a number of the cartoons that he drew in that period, and they're all pretty blunt and to the point.

So they’re saying “we are as bad as we say Democrats are about abortion.”

sure...let's get them born and then treat them like shit and let them die. seems unmerciful

All of this has really confirmed the old, "Republicans only care about fetuses until they are born, after that they could not give two shits" notion #bootstraps #maga #ripjhmd

Back