Page 685 of 712 FirstFirst ... 185585635675680681682683684685686687688689690695 ... LastLast
Results 13,681 to 13,700 of 14227

Thread: Facebook Gold from Crazies

  1. #13681
    clearly the problem is that people no longer diversify their information intake. you really cannot make educated decisions if you are only referencing one source. it's an imbecilic mentality...just lazy sheep mentality.

  2. #13682
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonwolverine View Post
    You would think most of the things on this thread were constructed and popularized by Russian bots or fake accounts, but it's scary how many actually pop up on my feed from real people who mean it.
    I had the same thought this week. My ultraconservative friends started sharing a bunch of stuff about the wall the day after Trump's speech. I wondered if the Russians were behind creating those stupid posts.

  3. #13683
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheCaptain View Post
    what's a Lawnmower Fruitcake?
    Title of the next Primus album

  4. #13684
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Itís also pretty remarkable how many people think that the drill sergeant was the hero of that portion of Fullmetal Jacket.
    well to the snowflakes who made the film he was not, not godfearing troop lovers

  5. #13685
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacOnCapeCod View Post
    and technically he told Nehemiah (and not Jesus) to build a wall around Jerusalem.... wonder if Jesus made any references about immigrants/refugees in the Bible?
    Perhaps this belongs on the evangelicals thread. But since it's a response to this comment, I'll leave it here.

    I grew up religious (Presbyterian), and although I don't practice now, my parents are very committed to their church and I go with them when we're home for holidays and such. The preacher that was there for 30+ years recently retired, and they have had a new preacher for the last 6 months or so. The Sunday before Christmas was the first time I heard him preach.

    No joke, this is at least the 6th time I've talked about his sermon since I heard it, and I literally don't think I've ever discussed a sermon after the fact before. As one of my friends said, it was the most "woke" sermon he'd ever heard.

    It was titled "Mary and Joe: Refugees" and talked about their trek to Bethlehem, and then subsequent journey to live in Egypt to avoid Herod, and then coming back to Nazareth when Jesus was a little older. He talked about the difficulties of being a refugee then and now. He differentiated between immigrants and refugees (as a subset) and defined what a refugee was. But did not differentiate between the two when he quoted Jesus and other portions of the Bible imploring us to treat foreigners in our land as we would our own people.

    I was kind of blown away and impressed. And I still wonder what some of the blue hairs in the back were thinking.

  6. #13686
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    40,330
    shout out to Debts and Debtors

  7. #13687
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheCaptain View Post
    shout out to Debts and Debtors
    Get out of here with that trespasser nonsense!

  8. #13688
    I grew up in the Presbyterian church and was so confused when I heard trespasses for the first time

  9. #13689
    NEW MODERAT0R
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    31,210
    Presbyterians are broke.

  10. #13690
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDeac03 View Post
    Perhaps this belongs on the evangelicals thread. But since it's a response to this comment, I'll leave it here.

    I grew up religious (Presbyterian), and although I don't practice now, my parents are very committed to their church and I go with them when we're home for holidays and such. The preacher that was there for 30+ years recently retired, and they have had a new preacher for the last 6 months or so. The Sunday before Christmas was the first time I heard him preach.

    No joke, this is at least the 6th time I've talked about his sermon since I heard it, and I literally don't think I've ever discussed a sermon after the fact before. As one of my friends said, it was the most "woke" sermon he'd ever heard.

    It was titled "Mary and Joe: Refugees" and talked about their trek to Bethlehem, and then subsequent journey to live in Egypt to avoid Herod, and then coming back to Nazareth when Jesus was a little older. He talked about the difficulties of being a refugee then and now. He differentiated between immigrants and refugees (as a subset) and defined what a refugee was. But did not differentiate between the two when he quoted Jesus and other portions of the Bible imploring us to treat foreigners in our land as we would our own people.

    I was kind of blown away and impressed. And I still wonder what some of the blue hairs in the back were thinking.
    IMO, Mainline Protestant churches like the Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Quakers, Methodists, etc. tend to be very different from Evangelical/Fundamentalist sects, like the Southern Baptists. While there's definitely still some Republicans in these groups, overall I've found over the years that members of these churches tend to be more liberal, or at least moderate, in their politics, even in small towns. The fact that all of these denominations, except for some Methodists, are usually more openly accepting of gay rights (and even Methodists are generally more tolerant of gay rights and marriage, at least in my experience, than Baptists), is evidence of this. The Social Gospel was a great product of Mainline Protestant churches. Until the 1960s Mainline Protestants actually outnumbered Evangelicals, and they were the dominant strain of Christianity in this country until they began a sharp decline in the 1960s, which has continued to this day. That allowed Evangelicals (like the Moral Majority in the 1970s) to replace them as the dominant voice in American Christianity, with some very negative consequences.
    Last edited by Highland Deac; 01-11-2019 at 09:26 PM.

  11. #13691
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    63,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    IMO, Mainline Protestant churches like the Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Quakers, Methodists, etc. tend to be very different from Evangelical/Fundamentalist sects, like the Southern Baptists. While there's definitely still some Republicans in these groups, overall I've found over the years that members of these churches tend to be more liberal, or at least moderate, in their politics, even in small towns. The fact that all of these denominations, except for some Methodists, are usually more openly accepting of gay rights (and even Methodists are generally more tolerant of gay rights and marriage, at least in my experience, than Baptists), is evidence of this. The Social Gospel was a great result of Mainline Protestant churches. Until the 1960s Mainline Protestants actually outnumbered Evangelicals, and they were the dominant strain of Christianity in this country until they began a sharp decline in the 1960s, which has continued to this day. That allowed Evangelicals (like the Moral Majority in the 1970s) to replace them as the dominant voice in American Christianity, with some very negative consequences.
    I think thatís a fair assessment. At least as it refers to white churches. There were certainly influential evangelicals throughout the history of progressivism in the US, but that voice is all but lost at this point. I do think if evangelical movements survive trump (I donít think they will), younger evangelicals tend to be more progressive on most things. Iím fascinated at the future of The Church in America, but I think trump is probably the beginning of the end.

  12. #13692
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    I think thatís a fair assessment. At least as it refers to white churches. There were certainly influential evangelicals throughout the history of progressivism in the US, but that voice is all but lost at this point. I do think if evangelical movements survive trump (I donít think they will), younger evangelicals tend to be more progressive on most things. Iím fascinated at the future of The Church in America, but I think trump is probably the beginning of the end.
    Yeah, I should have added that what I said mainly applied to white churches. I think white Evangelicals started going off the rails in the 1920s with the Scopes Monkey Trial, KKK revival, etc., and then it really accelerated in the 1970s with Falwell, Sr. and the rise of the Moral Majority, followed by 80s televangelists like Jim and Tammy Faye, Pat Robertson, Swaggart, and all the rest. Unfortunately they've become the voice and "face" of American Christianity for most younger people, and as you said, it's killing the church's long-term prospects. Within a half-century or less America may look much like Europe or Australia, with only a small percentage of the population being active Christians. The current charlatans like little Falwell and Franklin Graham are making out like bandits, though.

  13. #13693
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    100,563
    And then theyíll complain that the liberals killed Christianity while staring at their painting of Trump beside their painting of white Jesus.

  14. #13694

  15. #13695
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    100,563
    Not crazy.


  16. #13696
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Not crazy.

    Scar won the pride lands by colluding with hyenas.
    Birds are real.

  17. #13697
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    100,563
    Thereís no smoking gun.

  18. #13698

  19. #13699


    Real Trump supporters. Real posts.

  20. #13700


    All part of a quick scroll down my wall. Probably within 30 posts of eachother.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •