• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

We're still doing these. Punisher Season 2 drops next Friday.

[video=youtube;jrLhP5sK2wI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=141&v=jrLhP5sK2wI[/video]

With Punisher coming up on Netflix, I decided it was time to fill in the glaring gap I have for Marvel movies - Punisher War Zone. Its theatrical run ended so quickly I didn't know it had been released (I was living overseas at the time). It's on Netflix so, with much trepidation, due to it being unquestionably a critical and box office bomb, I finally gave it a go and... I was into it. It's sort of what you want a Punisher movie to be - high body count, bullets sprayed everywhere sprinkled with some nutso deaths. Unlike the prior Thomas Jane Punisher, which was, I dunno, whatever it was.

Everyone ranks Spider-Man and Batman movies. Here's my Punisher movie ranking:

1. Dirty Laundry
2. War Zone
3. Ivan Drago
4. Jane

Now, to be clear, this is NOT a good movie, it's a fun Punisher movie. If you're into that, then check it out, it's free (if you have Netflix and you do).

Pretty clear that's another universe though -- the universe where they contiue to make Spiderman sequels that have way too many villains in them.

CBM: Aquaman, Spider-Verse, and Marvel trailers

Pretty clear that's another universe though -- the universe where they contiue to make Spiderman sequels that have way too many villains in them.

I only see one villain, a villain who casts illusions.

maybe he was counting teenage angst as a villain. also picturing happy boning his mom is pretty villainous

I only see one villain, a villain who casts illusions.

Methinks we've seen this "villain pretends to be hero fighting his own creations" thing before...

Syndrome.jpg

Pumped for Mysterio, but that trailer doesn't look good. Especially if it's Hydroman and Sandman. I'm hoping they still have a lot of work to do on those graphics.

Methinks we've seen this "villain pretends to be hero fighting his own creations" thing before...

Syndrome.jpg

Just popping in to say that the Incredibles is amazing and if they made 12 movies that franchised out like the Marvel Universe has, I would go to every one of them and buy the Blu-Ray. Probably over some Marvel properties.

Meh...that claims that the Elementals are villains as fact, but IMO it's far more likely that Mysterio is pulling a Syndrome and controlling the "illusions" himself to gain notoriety.

Would make no sense to have Mysterio in the movie as an ally and then fall prey to the SM3 downfall of having 27 actual enemies to fight. Though he very well could be presented as a good guy and then reveal to be the big bad. I just don't think these other baddies are individual characters themselves.

Yeah. There were profiles of The Mandarin before IM3 as well.

Saw into the spiderverse. Great movie, really groundbreaking animation and art direction. Voice acting was good. Only complaint is that the final fight scene was at least 5 minutes too long, but that seems to be standard in all super hero movies.

I'm going to put in another plug for DC Universe streaming service and Young Justice. I can't stress how good this show is. Every episode like a wonderful short film. There's so much depth that you want to watch each episode again right after you watch it. The show doesn't hold hands. It introduces characters organically without the trite "I am so-and-so" crap. The characters age, they grow, they mature, they get promoted, they get married, they have children. It's unlike anything we've seen in the genre outside the comics.

DC Universe is $7.99 a month and a few weeks in I'm very happy with my purchase. There are three new episodes a week and it's a highlight of my week. Nine episodes into Season 3, the show is as good as ever without some of the shackles of broadcast standards and practices. It's mature, but not "adult." It's hard to explain except for saying the show has matured with the main cast. The leads have grown from teens to their early to mid-20s. I rewatched this week's three episodes last night. One was a profile of Vandal Savage that was a deeper look into a villain than I've seen in awhile. The best part was how it just causally dropped a HUGE reveal about the history of a Justice Leaguer without blinking. In the three episodes, a hero and villain in the comics got drunk and (heavily implied) had sex. Another episode included a subplot in which superhero toddlers and children got together for a playdate. Such an everyday type occurrence is unique in the genre. I don't remember seeing a gathering of heroes, spouses/partners, and 2-10 year olds, some without powers some without. But on top of that, you know an assassin is across the street waiting for all the guests to arrive. The storytelling is excellent.

Some other quick thoughts. The CW shows returned this week (Flash last week) and were pretty good. Supergirl, Arrow, and Black Lightning all reset some things that should help push the shows forward.

Haven't watched The Punisher or seen reviews, but I'm curious what people think.

Random thought about Luke Cage. It hit me last week (probably after the Golden Globes and seeing ads for Akita) that they killed off Cottonmouth in the first half of Season 1 because Mahershala Ali couldn't commit to a full season or beyond one season because he was in high demand. He was in 5 films released in 2016. Now he's one of the biggest stars out there.

Back