• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

CBM: Black Panther premiere (97% RT; no spoilers)

Disney done goofed trotting out an unwanted Avatar land at Animal Kingdom when holding out for Wakanda would have made all the monies.

#WakandaForever

He's definitely up there with the Russos. I assume he'll get two more Black Panther movies. He should get a shot at Avengers 5 as well.

i'm thinking he's more like our generation's spielberg

Saw it and really liked it. Michael B Jordan was the highlight for me. Actually sympathetic as a bad guy.

Wife and I saw it last night, absolutely terrific. Loved Boseman. Performance was second only to 42 which I thought he was amazing in.

Saw it and really liked it. Michael B Jordan was the highlight for me. Actually sympathetic as a bad guy.

I think probably the best bad guy in any Marvel film. Jordan was great.

Good lord, just tried to get Black Panther tickets 30 minutes in advamce and learned that every showing (11) was sold out until 10. Checked two other theaters on fandango and they were sold out as well.

You were warned.

Yeah, not sure what you were expecting opening weekend.

We got our tickets for tomorrow last Saturday and I'm planning on showing up pretty early to get seats since we have a group of 13

Prolly gonna go IMAX at 12:50 on Monday if yr trying to go mdmh

Going to put up the spoiler tag in a bit. Just need to get back to my computer.

Spoilers are fair game.

All three villains were excellent. I just wish they hadn't killed off Klaw. I was really looking forward to seeing him featured in a sequel. Made sense for the story and Kilmonger's background. Kilmonger was so good the sacrifice was worth it. Wish he could have stuck around, but damn that sunrise scene was great.

So much to love about this film. Can't wait to visit Wakanda again in Infinity War. T'Challa was the star. Kilmonger was excellent. But the women made that movie. Lupita was great. She had Kilmonger's motivation but with a heart. Okoye stole every scene and looked good doing it. Shuri was just fun. I saw an early review that called for a Shuri/Spider-Man team-up and I have to agree it would be fun to see the MCU's two young geniuses together. Perhaps we'll see it in Infinity War.

I'll wait before addressing the deeper socio-political angle of the film. It's just amazing how they made a movie that's so current. A story about a technologically advanced analog to North Korea wrestling with issues of diaspora, immigration, and aid. What happens to political institutions under flawed leadership that doesn't have the best interests of the people at heart? Do you serve king or country?

This film definitely made me realize I like the MCU films that have a broader sociopolitical bent like Winter Soldier and Civil War. I love the fun films like Guardians and Ant-Man. I love the big superhero spectaculars like The Avengers and Ragnorak. But it's great to leave a superhero film thinking.

Last edited:
$192 million 3-day weekend. Estimated $218M with the holiday.
http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/18/media/black-panther-box-office/index.html

This a huge number. Before Black Panther, the five highest opening weekends for MCU films allow opened the first weekend in May, at the beginning of the summer. The highest non-May opening was Spider-Man: Homecoming with $117M last July.

I loved it. It was amazing start to finish. The after credits scene at the UN is the type of thing that gives you chills. The line about walls and bridges was an absolute dagger (read: gonna be a lot of butthurt about that).

Agree that the women stole the show. All three of the female leads were just stellar. I’d love to see Shuri matched up with Stark instead of Peter.

That said, I can absolutely see Boseman become the face of the MCU when RDJ and Evans hang it up. He has the presence. I know there’s been a lot of speculation about what comes after Infinity when those actors step away, but with Panther, Spidey, Strange, and Captain Marvel to come, the MCU has plenty left in the tank.

Okay, only criticisms:

Killmonger was very good, but I don’t feel he was in the film enough. Still think Loki is the best non-Netflix MCU “villain.” I say that in quotes because Marvel has done a better job of makings antagonists less generic (Killgrave, Kingpin, Loki, Zemo, etc). I would have liked just a tad more development of Killmonger.

Didn’t like taking Klaue off the board. He’s a great setup villain.

As good as the plot was, it DID smack of a Lion King rehash with a superhero slant. That should dissipate with Infinity War.

I loved it. It was amazing start to finish. The after credits scene at the UN is the type of thing that gives you chills. The line about walls and bridges was an absolute dagger (read: gonna be a lot of butthurt about that).

Agree that the women stole the show. All three of the female leads were just stellar. I’d love to see Shuri matched up with Stark instead of Peter.

That said, I can absolutely see Boseman become the face of the MCU when RDJ and Evans hang it up. He has the presence. I know there’s been a lot of speculation about what comes after Infinity when those actors step away, but with Panther, Spidey, Strange, and Captain Marvel to come, the MCU has plenty left in the tank.

Okay, only criticisms:

Killmonger was very good, but I don’t feel he was in the film enough. Still think Loki is the best non-Netflix MCU “villain.” I say that in quotes because Marvel has done a better job of makings antagonists less generic (Killgrave, Kingpin, Loki, Zemo, etc). I would have liked just a tad more development of Killmonger.

Didn’t like taking Klaue off the board. He’s a great setup villain.

As good as the plot was, it DID smack of a Lion King rehash with a superhero slant. That should dissipate with Infinity War.

not sure if it was an intentional nod to Angela Davis or not. But it was a great line, especially in the current environment

Also, just got back and it was everything it was hyped to be.

My wife (not a comic book movie person) loved it. Our kids loved and and we took a few other kids from our neighborhood who thought it was amazing.

Thematically, it was great and opens up a lot of broader themes.

You were warned.
Yeah, not sure what you were expecting opening weekend.

We got our tickets for tomorrow last Saturday and I'm planning on showing up pretty early to get seats since we have a group of 13
Never had that much trouble with any other Marvel movie night or Star Wars in Winston Salem, especially with that many showings. Maybe Friday (or Thursday now) but not Saturday

Kilmonger was easily the best of the “bigger badder version” of the hero villains that Marvel tends to use in the first film.

I definitely wish we could see more of Kilmonger and Klaw.

Definitely look up Easter Eggs. Young T’Chaka was played by John Kani’s son. Young Zuri was played by an Denzel Whitaker who despite not being related played Forest Whitaker’s character’s son in The Great Debaters.

MDMH, much of the talk about Black Panther was about how it broke presage records and the opening weekend estimates climbed from around $120M to $185M without about 2 weeks. It was an event.

Something to think about for Infinity War is that Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnorak, and Black Panther all took place soon after Civil War, so in 2016. If Infinity War advances the timeline to 2018, that means the Marvel Universe has been in a post-vibranium world for 2 years. That could have a huge impact on technology.

Tony Stark in Wakanda is going to be crazy. Shuri's tech will blow his mind. I wonder if he'll look at the Dora Milaje and be like "Why didn't I think of that?"

Black Panther and the Dora Milaje made their debut at Disneyland this weekend.
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2018/...halla-dora-milaje-warriors-disneyland-resort/

Last edited:
Here's an Easter Egg you won't find on IGN - one of the Laotian delegates in the UN scene is a Demon Deacon alum.

Just to show I'm not full-on fan boy, there were a couple of CGI shots that took me out of the moment. Jumping onto one of the war rhinos is one.

Don't lament the loss of Klaw, he'll be back as soon a story calls for him. I do have a Klaw complaint though, he never actually became Klaw, certainly we saw no mastery of sonics. No that arm gun doesn't count. Oh well, maybe when he's rezzed.

The rhino CGI could have been better but when the first one jumped out that was one of the big audible “Holy shit!” moments in the theater.

Back