• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

How do you figure? They're both uber-rich guys with tons of technological savvy.

Uh, green goblin's powers are confined to flying on a surfboard and throwing grenades and a few missiles. Iron Man is way faster/ more maneuverable, has lasers/missiles and is super strong/fast and has flares/chaff to distract missiles.

* and i mean straight up. like Iron Man is flying around and GG is messing around in the city. No pre-planning for this battle/i.e. end of movie confrontation. If IM saw GG and intervened, it would be a short affair.

Uh, green goblin's powers are confined to flying on a surfboard and throwing grenades and a few missiles. Iron Man is way faster/ more maneuverable, has lasers/missiles and is super strong/fast and has flares/chaff to distract missiles.

* and i mean straight up. like Iron Man is flying around and GG is messing around in the city. No pre-planning for this battle/i.e. end of movie confrontation. If IM saw GG and intervened, it would be a short affair.

This has been the Marvel universe of over 50 years now. If it's that important to you, you can reconcile that people deal with threats at their level. Thor deals with delaying Ragnarok, the Fantastic 4 stop Doctor Doom from taking over the world, Spidey keeps the Green Goblin from whatever his city level threat is and Daredevil keeps Hells Kitchen safe from the Kingpin. Oh and Iron Fist saves the community center.

Outside of the Avengers, there is no mention of a shared universe with other Marvel properties in the movies.

DC of course is the same way in comics. Yes Superman could deal with Joker threats in seconds, but he's got bigger fish to fry.

I figured this would be the part of this thread where we have an actually interesting nerd discussion but too many Practical Petes 'round here, it seems

I'll raise the nerd factor by addressing PhDeac's question of could Magneto lift Mjolnir.

The answer - no. What makes Mjolnir "heavy" isn't its composition, but rather magic so that only someone "worthy" can lift it, rather like Excalibur.

Right. But Magneto does have the power to control metal. Just making sure his power doesn't counteract the magic.

I figured this would be the part of this thread where we have an actually interesting nerd discussion but too many Practical Petes 'round here, it seems

It's funny you make that comparison between Stark and Osborn. Those two were the main protagonist and antagonist characters during the period from Secret Invasion through Dark Reign and ending in Siege. Osborn had Stark fleeing all across the globe in the World's Most Wanted story arc.

To the original question, though, while most villains are introduced as a nemesis to a particular hero, those villains also pop up throughout the other Marvel books. Osborn and his Dark Avengers were everywhere the past two years prior to Siege. Even small time villains will pop up in other books (I remember an Avengers story involving Sandman, traditionally a Spidey foe). Another part of it is , as mentioned, geographical. Spidey is mostly in Manhattan, Daredevil in Hell's Kitchen, X-Men in San Francisco, etc. The last thing I would say is that fans get comfortable with specific hero/villain relationships. To use the Osborn example, his character was in most of the Marvel books for quite a while as the villain...but with Spider-Man, it was more personal a confrontation than Stark and Osborn was. There are lots of explanations, but I think those are a start.

It's made of uru metal. That's canon.

Right, but Uru isnt from Earth. Who knows if Asgardian metal is composed the same way Earth metal is. That plus the magic component makes me say no.

That alien Thor looking bro Bob? Bill? can pick it up though right? Anyone else?

Right, but Uru isnt from Earth. Who knows if Asgardian metal is composed the same way Earth metal is. That plus the magic component makes me say no.

That alien Thor looking bro Bob? Bill? can pick it up though right? Anyone else?

Eric Masterson (Thunderstrike) and Beta Ray Bill are the only two I know of.

I missed...uh, a lot. According to Wikipedia:

Mjolnir has been wielded by a select number of other individuals: alien Beta Ray Bill;[15] Buri (also known as Tiwaz, and Thor's great-grandfather);[16] Avenger Captain America;[17] Eric Masterson;[18] Odin and Borr (Odin's Father);[19] Miguel O'Hara;[20]

The hammer has also been lifted by various sentient constructs (non-sentient machines apparently cannot),[21] such as Zarrko the Tomorrow Man's mining robot;[22] the Air-Walker (animated by the soul of Nova Corps captain Gabriel Lan);[23] and the Awesome Android (by mimicking Thor's abilities and worthy nature).[24] The hammer has also been lifted by Earth itself when animated via magical means.[25]

There are also several other non-canon instances of other characters lifting the hammer, including: Conan the Barbarian;[26] Dargo Ktor (Future Thor);[27] Loki;[28] Magni;[29] Rogue;[30] Woden;[31] Alex Power;[32] and the DC Comics characters Superman (though he was unable to later that issue and Thor claimed Odin had briefly lifted the enchantment)[33] and Wonder Woman.[34]

Several imitations of Mjolnir have also existed. These include Stormbreaker and the mace Thunderstrike, created for Beta Ray Bill[35] and Eric Masterson respectively.[36] Loki has been responsible for the creation of several imitations – a version of Mjolnir is presented to the mutant X-Men member Storm in an attempt to control her,[37] while another version is given to the mercenary Deadpool to spite Thor.[38] Loki also allows Surtur to use the forge Mjolnir was created from to craft copies during Ragnarok.[3] H.Y.D.R.A. created evil versions of Iron Man, Captain America, Hawkeye and Thor, the Thor imitator had a technological imitation of Mjolnir.[39] Tony Stark and Reed Richards also create a technological imitation Mjolnir for use by Ragnarok, the clone of Thor, during the Civil War storyline.[40]

Sorry to derail your serious nerd debate, but just thought I'd throw in my two cents for Cap America, which I just saw. Fuck, I thought it was pretty horrible. Overlong, bland, corny, the 3d was terrible. The ending negates everything that came before it. It basically amounts to just a two hour ad for The Avengers.

Not sure how many animation fans we have here, but two shows that may be of interest are premiering on Friday.

The first is a reboot of ThunderCats and it's getting some great reviews. Here's a preview of the ep.
9-Minute Preview of New 'ThunderCats' Cartoon Leaks

Get excited, folks.

Cartoon Network's new ThunderCats series sets an admirably high standard by which past, present and future revivals ought to be judged. Much more than a modern update of old ideas, this project is an ambitious reimagining that stands to the original 1980s show as Justice League did to Superfriends. For young viewers, old school fans, anime fans and all adults young at heart, this program looks to be essential viewing that dearly deserves to be a smash crossover hit. With Young Justice and now ThunderCats, Cartoon Network now has the two best new action cartoons on television.

From the very first minute, ThunderCats concentrates on the characters fans know and love, but it puts a fresh twist on their place in the world. Originally, our anthropomorphic cat heroes were strangers in an even stranger land, having fled to the mythical Third Earth from their dying planet of Thundera. This time around, the Thundera our protagonists inhabit is a thriving kingdom, a self-described empire above all others that has presided over a long era of peace since its founders defeated the nefarious demon-sorcerer Mumm-Ra and "...brought law and order to a world of warring animals." The nexus of this kingdom is an immense and beautiful city, protected by its mighty walls. But for Lion-O, the heir to Thundera's throne, this is an insular and introverted world. Most Thunderans are perfectly content with their lot within the city walls, but he fantasizes about the wider world outside. The history written in the legendary Book of Omens is regarded by most as the stuff of legends and fairy tales, but Lion-O believes all of it. He secretly collects scraps, hoping to study "technology," something that his peers don't even believe in. And whereas most cats seem to feel only animosity for their long-time foes, the lizard men, Lion-O is willing to stick up for even one of them simply because it's the just thing to do.
------------

There's more, but I watched the clip and I'm very impressed. So far it looks like the comparisons to Justice League/Justice League Unlimited and Young Justice are legit. It doesn't look like a kiddie show at all and should have broad appeal with some very interesting themes. The character designs look good and it looks like Snarf isn't annoying.

Last year, 4 short amine series featuring Iron Man, Wolverine, the X-Men, and Blade premiered in Japan. The English dubs start on Friday with Wolverine anime. Google it for a deeper description and episode summaries. Here's a clip of Friday's English premiere.

Last edited:
Not sure how many animation fans we have here, but two shows that may be of interest are premiering on Friday.

The first is a reboot of ThunderCats and it's getting some great reviews. Here's a preview of the ep.
9-Minute Preview of New 'ThunderCats' Cartoon Leaks

Get excited, folks.

Cartoon Network's new ThunderCats series sets an admirably high standard by which past, present and future revivals ought to be judged. Much more than a modern update of old ideas, this project is an ambitious reimagining that stands to the original 1980s show as Justice League did to Superfriends. For young viewers, old school fans, anime fans and all adults young at heart, this program looks to be essential viewing that dearly deserves to be a smash crossover hit. With Young Justice and now ThunderCats, Cartoon Network now has the two best new action cartoons on television.

From the very first minute, ThunderCats concentrates on the characters fans know and love, but it puts a fresh twist on their place in the world. Originally, our anthropomorphic cat heroes were strangers in an even stranger land, having fled to the mythical Third Earth from their dying planet of Thundera. This time around, the Thundera our protagonists inhabit is a thriving kingdom, a self-described empire above all others that has presided over a long era of peace since its founders defeated the nefarious demon-sorcerer Mumm-Ra and "...brought law and order to a world of warring animals." The nexus of this kingdom is an immense and beautiful city, protected by its mighty walls. But for Lion-O, the heir to Thundera's throne, this is an insular and introverted world. Most Thunderans are perfectly content with their lot within the city walls, but he fantasizes about the wider world outside. The history written in the legendary Book of Omens is regarded by most as the stuff of legends and fairy tales, but Lion-O believes all of it. He secretly collects scraps, hoping to study "technology," something that his peers don't even believe in. And whereas most cats seem to feel only animosity for their long-time foes, the lizard men, Lion-O is willing to stick up for even one of them simply because it's the just thing to do.
------------

There's more, but I watched the clip and I'm very impressed. So far it looks like the comparisons to Justice League/Justice League Unlimited and Young Justice are legit. It doesn't look like a kiddie show at all and should have broad appeal with some very interesting themes. The character designs look good and it looks like Snarf isn't annoying.

not to mention cheetara's huge[-r than the original] tits

Thundercats premieres at 8:00 on Cartoon Network with an hour-long show.

For nostalgia sake, here's the old intro.

My son has been watching the original Thundercats on Boomerang and he loves it. I need to check the rating on the new one though. (#realmomtalk)

My son has been watching the original Thundercats on Boomerang and he loves it. I need to check the rating on the new one though. (#realmomtalk)

Good call.

Back