• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

Ugh. I don't have headphones at work FTL The one day I forget them!

Showed it to one of my coworkers, who said "meh" and then proceeded to tell me that The Dark Knight was "vastly overrated" and that Batman Begins was much better.

He probably thinks Chipotle is fantastic too.

Just to reiterate, wow. July can't get here fast enough.

Showed it to one of my coworkers, who said "meh" and then proceeded to tell me that The Dark Knight was "vastly overrated" and that Batman Begins was much better.

I'll probably get neg repped into oblivion, but that was my reaction to the trailer/teaser. And I really enjoyed TDK.

I've found Batman Begins more re-watchable

I'll probably get neg repped into oblivion, but that was my reaction to the trailer/teaser. And I really enjoyed TDK.
I feel the same way. I thought Begins was okay, it didn't really do much for me. But I loved TDK and have rewatched it several times over the past couple of years since it came out. But this trailer just seemed to be missing something for me. I think it might be the villains, though I'm not sure why. I don't actively dislike Bane or Catwoman, they just don't seem as exciting as Joker (particularly Ledger's Joker) was. I remember seeing the trailer for TDK with Joker for the first time and being pumped for opening day. Just didn't get that same excitement from this one.

Epic trailer for an epic movie.

I agree with Slim that I would've preferred that Nolan leave Catwoman out of his trilogy, but that doesn't mean I'm any less psyched for this movie. Gonna be a long 2.5 months.

That part of the opinion I can understand, because Nolan does a good job of teasing without giving it all away. If you aren't already super-hyped about the movie, this might not have done it for you, especially if you're like Slim, and you doubt the Anne Hathaway casting. A couple of the short shots made the trailer for me.

Agreed. The scene at 1:11 where Bane's holding the Batman mask and just kind of flicks it away was my favorite.

^^^ Trailer makes it appear that Bane learns Batman's real identity. Wonder if that will play into the plot.

I feel the same way. I thought Begins was okay, it didn't really do much for me. But I loved TDK and have rewatched it several times over the past couple of years since it came out. But this trailer just seemed to be missing something for me. I think it might be the villains, though I'm not sure why. I don't actively dislike Bane or Catwoman, they just don't seem as exciting as Joker (particularly Ledger's Joker) was. I remember seeing the trailer for TDK with Joker for the first time and being pumped for opening day. Just didn't get that same excitement from this one.

The joker was definitely awesome, and infinitely more iconic than bane... but holy shit, bane's first reveal in the new trailer--where he has the hood taken off--is so badass. He just looks so so menacing. Nolan took a cartoonish character and made him a real-world badass.

How many times has everyone watched the trailer this morning? I'm up to 3 full times, with a couple replays of different parts.

The thing that made TDK so amazing is that by the time the Joker does his "Magic Trick," you are rooting for him. Nolan has this really amazing ability to get the audience to relate, and even root for, some bad dudes. I have a feeling that I will be rooting for Bane.

The thing that made TDK so amazing is that by the time the Joker does his "Magic Trick," you are rooting for him. Nolan has this really amazing ability to get the audience to relate, and even root for, some bad dudes. I have a feeling that I will be rooting for Bane.

I think Nolan really nails the idea of a Dark Knight. None of these characters are necessarily good guys, even Batman. That's why Harvey Dent was so important, because Batman recognizes it himself within the world Nolan created.

Seriously? Catwoman may be one of the most important characters to really telling the Batman/Bruce Wayne story.

I guess I meant more along the lines of bringing it to this trilogy...

I didn't like Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns, and just don't really think the character transitions well to the movies....and I guess that's just hammered home with Anne Hathaway and what SEEMS like an over the top characterization of Selina Kyle/Catwoman from the little we've seen.

I just hope Nolan does the character in a realistic manner, which he has shown he can do in this series.

Joker wanted to watch the world burn. Bane will make it burn. He is Gotham's reckoning. My guess is that fight between Batman and Bane that we get glimpses of in the trailer happens relatively early in the movie, Bane "breaks" Batman (thus the broken mask), and then captures him (the scene where Batman says "why didn't you kill me" is the aftermath). So Batman is gone, Bane goes on a killing rampage, destroying Gotham, JGL tries to hold the city together, and just as Bane is about to obliterate Gotham, Batman will "rise."

Also have read that Nolan has said that if The Dark Knight was his The Untouchables (crime epic) then this is his Dog Day Afternoon. He said that the story is very much influenced by Dicken's A Tale of Two Cities.

I guess I meant more along the lines of bringing it to this trilogy...

I didn't like Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns, and just don't really think the character transitions well to the movies....and I guess that's just hammered home with Anne Hathaway and what SEEMS like an over the top characterization of Selina Kyle/Catwoman from the little we've seen.

I just hope Nolan does the character in a realistic manner, which he has shown he can do in this series.

A Kyle inspired by the animated series fits perfectly in this Gotham.

Saw this the other day and figured it would be worth adding here:

A Kyle inspired by the animated series fits perfectly in this Gotham.

I'll be the first to admit I don't read the comics or follow every iteration of the characters, but have a decent understanding of who the characters are in general in relation to their backstories.

My comments were based primarily on Hathaway's few previews/clips and the Batman Returns character....

I'll be the first to admit I don't read the comics or follow every iteration of the characters, but have a decent understanding of who the characters are in general in relation to their backstories.

My comments were based primarily on Hathaway's few previews/clips and the Batman Returns character....

I wouldn't base your understanding of the characters on Burton's interpretations. While entertaining, his version is a bit of a departure from how I would think of these characters based on years of reading the books. Burton's version of Kyle as an unhinged psychopath isn't really all that close to how she's written typically.

Joker wanted to watch the world burn. Bane will make it burn. He is Gotham's reckoning. My guess is that fight between Batman and Bane that we get glimpses of in the trailer happens relatively early in the movie, Bane "breaks" Batman (thus the broken mask), and then captures him (the scene where Batman says "why didn't you kill me" is the aftermath). So Batman is gone, Bane goes on a killing rampage, destroying Gotham, JGL tries to hold the city together, and just as Bane is about to obliterate Gotham, Batman will "rise."

This sounds very plausible. He gets defeated by Bane in the fight with the waterfall, then fights him again on the steps of City Hall after he "rises?" The line about Batman not having given Gotham everything...yet is also potentially ominous.

This sounds very plausible. He gets defeated by Bane in the fight with the waterfall, then fights him again on the steps of City Hall after he "rises?" The line about Batman not having given Gotham everything...yet is also potentially ominous.

Perhaps he's going to go with a nod to Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" and have Batman "die" (fake his death) at the conclusion.

Back