• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

It's a shame the second season of Wolverine and the X-men was cancelled. They were supposed to do the Age of Apocalpyse storyline which was the last great X-Men story in the comics.

Agreed. As a non-comics guy, this is the comics event I've most heard referenced over the years and I was really looking forward to it. I really enjoyed their characterization of some of the core X-Men even though Wolverine's leadership and the time distance was a little silly.

Interesting news coming out this week. Marvel Studios is announcing a Guardians of the Galaxy movie for May 2014. Could tie into Avengers 2 given the summer release.
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1206/29/index.htm

Spider-Man has fallen to 79% on Rotten Tomatoes with a few more reviews in. All the negative reviews pretty much say the same thing.

"Do we really need to sit through this story all over again? Sony and Marvel Enterprises are hoping so...."

"Sometimes dull and mostly uninspired, it's much less a satisfying reboot like "Batman Begins'' than a pointless rehash in the mode of "Superman Returns.''

"Garfield is a fine substitute for Maguire, but didn't we already see this film ten years ago?"

"Don't believe the marketing: this is the same old boring origin story all over again. Watch Peter Parker get bitten! Watch him discover his spider-powers! Watch him use them on the "school bully" before taking them to the street to fight crime!"

I'd love to do a study of movie reviews and how they're based on expectations. This was originally sparked by Brave and Madagascar 3 both sitting at 74%. Reading reviews for both it was clear reviewers thought Brave was the better movie but it was judged by the standards of previous Pixar films.

In this case, it's weird that people are giving a negative review to a movie for revisiting the same beats as a movie that scored 89% 10 years ago despite the fact it uses almost completely different characters and has a different tone.

Comparing this reboot to Batman Begins is unfair for two reasons. First, Batman Begins came out 16 years after Burton's Batman and in a completely different era for superhero movies. Also while Burton's Batman was good at the time because it hadn't really been done before, the movie essentially isn't very good. On the other hand, Spider-man came out post-X-men in the modern age of comic book movies and special effects and is still a good movie.

Just seems like a weird reason to neg review a movie. Now if it just all out blows like Superman Returns (76% on RT by the way), then I'll understand.

Spider-Man has fallen to 79% on Rotten Tomatoes with a few more reviews in. All the negative reviews pretty much say the same thing.

"Do we really need to sit through this story all over again? Sony and Marvel Enterprises are hoping so...."

"Sometimes dull and mostly uninspired, it's much less a satisfying reboot like "Batman Begins'' than a pointless rehash in the mode of "Superman Returns.''

"Garfield is a fine substitute for Maguire, but didn't we already see this film ten years ago?"

"Don't believe the marketing: this is the same old boring origin story all over again. Watch Peter Parker get bitten! Watch him discover his spider-powers! Watch him use them on the "school bully" before taking them to the street to fight crime!"

Pretty much confirms what I was thinking. Again, I'll grab my Spiderman 2 dvd if I need a fix this weekend. Otherwise, I'll hold out for TDKR. There was really no need to make this movie.

That's the funny thing about it. If Raimi's spider flicks didn't exist, I'm thinking this one would be much more well received. I'm betting it's worlds better than the Raimi films, but under scrutiny because of its reboot status.

Not to mention the shadow of The Avengers and the Dark Knight trilogy. This was the worst possible time for this movie to come out.

Yeah, I'm definitely excited about it. If the worst thing about it is that it revisits one of the most classic superhero origin stories, that's fine with me.

Also while Burton's Batman was good at the time because it hadn't really been done before, the movie essentially isn't very good.
I'll admit I love me some Batman 89. Probably my most rewatched super hero movie. Granted it's almost certainly for nostalgia reasons, but I love that flick. Just ridiculously fun. Nicholson's hilarious.

I'll admit I love me some Batman 89. Probably my most rewatched super hero movie. Granted it's almost certainly for nostalgia reasons, but I love that flick. Just ridiculously fun. Nicholson's hilarious.

Keaton at his prime. Jack at his prime. Kim Basinger.

If that movie was made today with better effects it would be on par w/ Begins, if not way better.

Hearing the neg reviews about Amazing Spidey make me pessimistic, since they seem to focus on the origin story. As I said upthread, I loathe the origin part of movies (except in Batman Begins and Iron Man). Doesn't change whether or not I'll see the movie, I'm a certified Marvel zombie and will see, without question, anything without Ghost Rider.

What worries me about the other Marvel news, regarding Guardians of the Galaxy, is that it feels like history from the 90s repeating. That is, Marvel was having enormous success with some titles (X-Men and co, McFarland's Spidey) and started to oversaturate the market, causing the great suckening of the decade. All the movies so far have been about characters you know, even if you never bought a single comic. Captain America and Hulk are icons, Iron Man and Thor are characters most people would have run across at some point. Guardians though... that's going deep into the bench early in the game. I don't see that connecting with any but the hardcore nerds (yes, like me). Maybe they're more clever marketers than I give them credit for, I just hope the good thing Marvel has going on doesn't get sullied.

Last edited:
Hearing the neg reviews about Amazing Spidey make me pessimistic, since they seem to focus on the origin story. As I said upthread, I loathe the origin part of movies (except in Batman Begins and Iron Man). Doesn't change whether or not I'll see the movie, I'm a certified Marvel zombie and will see, without question, anything without Ghost Rider.

What worries me about the other Marvel news, regarding Guardians of the Galaxy, is that it feels like history from the 90s repeating. That is, Marvel was having enormous success with some titles (X-Men and co, McFarland's Spidey) and started to oversaturate the market, causing the great suckening of the decade. All the movies so far have been about characters you know, even if you never bought a single comic. Captain America and Hulk are icons, Iron Man and Thor are characters most people would have run across at some point. Guardians though... that's going deep into the bench early in the game. I don't see that connecting with any but the hardcore nerds (yes, like me). Maybe they're more clever marketers than I give them credit for, I just hope the good thing Marvel has going on doesn't get sullied.

I agree, especially since it's taking up a summer slot. I figured this would be more of a November movie at best.

If you're skeptical about that, you'd probably be really skeptical about the rumor that Disney is making a movie about Big Hero 6, from what I can tell a very obscure Japanese based team.
Big Hero 6 Could Be Disney's First Animated Marvel Film

For anyone interested, Kevin Smith has a new podcast called Fatman on Batman. I just listened to the first episode where he brought in Paul Dini, the writer from Batman The Animated Series. Really interesting stuff that has me really wanting to go re-watch BTAS. Don't suppose anyone knows where to find it streaming, do they?

I rewatched BTAS about 3 or 4 years ago. It was well worth it. It deepened my appreciation for what they did to start the DCAU in motion.

Are you watching Young Justice and/or Green Lantern?

You can get them on Dvd at wal-mart fairly cheap. Bought them for my nephew last Christmas.

I look forward to sharing the last 20 years of great superhero animation and movies with my son.

I look forward to sharing the last 20 years of great superhero animation and movies with my son.

I haven't watched young justice or GL. I've watched Wolverine and the x-men and some of Avengers: EMH, but that's mostly it for the past couple of years.

I definitely recommend them. New episodes don't start up until late September so you have time to catch up. You can find eps on Torrents or on YouTube although I think most are reverse mirrored.

Last edited:
Back