• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

sort of surprised they don't do what videogame companies do and embargo reviews until after release

sort of surprised they don't do what videogame companies do and embargo reviews until after release

They embargo until release day if they know the movie will suck. Think that's what FF did. This is similar.

The RT is worse than expected:

It hurtles not with the kinetic momentum of Mad Max: Fury Road nor the comparatively spry skip of a Marvel movie, but with an operatic grandeur it sometimes earns and often doesn't.

Full Review… | March 22, 2016

BvS will please those either waiting for the two main players to lock horns on a movie screen, or those who've just been pining for Wonder Woman forever.

Full Review… | March 22, 2016

The Dark Knight, RETURNS with a BANG, BOOM, POW; Wonder Woman arrives, fashionably late as you'd expect from the world's most iconic female superhero; but this emerging Superman may have you humming, "will the REAL Man of Steel, please stand-up."

------

Wow. These are the positive reviews.

Almost did the same thing near the end of Ep 8 even though it was even more deserved at the end of Ep 8. Wow.

How is this show getting mediocre reviews? I don't get it.

Told myself I wasn't going to watch another episode, but here I am.

I just finished 5 and totally agree. I think the season has been great

It was really nice of Marvel to give us a backup plan for the weekend in case BVS sucked.

I won't spoil AOS. The main plot was contrived, but it was well done. Looking forward to what they're doing going forward.

Ruh roh, looks like my cockeyed optimism may well be misplaced. Even EW and IGN were lukewarm (C+ and 6.8 respectively, and neither of those reviewers exactly need a movie to be Citizen Kane to get a high score.

Currently 41% on RT...not looking good.

Snyder shouldn't be allowed to ruin more movies. His mishandling of Watchmen should have been enough. His track record has only gotten worse since. I can't believe that DC and Warner Bros. are handing this clown the keys to The Justice League.

Synder has one film rated better than the worst MCU film. He has no track record of making legit blockbuster films. Man of Steel was a massive screw up. BVS may be headed toward Green Lantern territory. It's at 37%. That's below Daredevil and the Green Hornet.

Damn. It's at 36% now.

Finishing up Ep 9 of Daredevil. Can somebody please explain how this show got mediocre reviews? Anybody? I feel like more than DD S1 and JJ, this season (through 9 eps) is like a 12.5 hour movie.

Damn. It's at 36% now.

Finishing up Ep 9 of Daredevil. Can somebody please explain how this show got mediocre reviews? Anybody? I feel like more than DD S1 and JJ, this season (through 9 eps) is like a 12.5 hour movie.

That works against it, though. I know that Sepinwall in particular has decried the Netflix seasonal structure, pining for more episodic, well, episodes. A season that's structured like a 12.5 hour movie is going to have lulls, even if by design, and reviewers don't typically have access to the full season when they're hitting publish.

And, frankly, it's not a reviewer's job to give something the benefit of the doubt, so for season structures like the one you're describing, their options are to either review the advance episodes they've received, or wait for a full season review. If the last couple pages of this thread are any indication, the latter isn't going to happen, because there is a demand (from fans like you or me) for these reviews to be ready for launch.

Snyder shouldn't be allowed to ruin more movies. His mishandling of Watchmen should have been enough. His track record has only gotten worse since. I can't believe that DC and Warner Bros. are handing this clown the keys to The Justice League.

I thought Watchmen was good, and liked the movie ending better than the book's. :couch:

As for Daredevil S2, it is currently sitting on a 68 critic review on Metacritic, but a 92 from fans.

BvS is an early 47 on Metacritic, which is bad. Not REALLY bad, but bad. And movies rarely shift more than about 5 points from those initial reactions.

Last edited:
the problem with snyder is that he wants to tackle great source material so people get excited. (watchmen, dark knight etc) but then he puts it together and it just comes across as "ok" or "unmemorable." maybe it's production or writing. probably a combination. either way the en product is not as bad as some make it out to be but it's certainly not great and probably more average than anything. the lack of a unique vision is a real problem when you are trying to make it a franchise tent-pole.

That works against it, though. I know that Sepinwall in particular has decried the Netflix seasonal structure, pining for more episodic, well, episodes. A season that's structured like a 12.5 hour movie is going to have lulls, even if by design, and reviewers don't typically have access to the full season when they're hitting publish.

I didn't find episodes 4-7 to be lulls.

the problem with snyder is that he wants to tackle great source material so people get excited. (watchmen, dark knight etc) but then he puts it together and it just comes across as "ok" or "unmemorable." maybe it's production or writing. probably a combination. either way the en product is not as bad as some make it out to be but it's certainly not great and probably more average than anything. the lack of a unique vision is a real problem when you are trying to make it a franchise tent-pole.

Agreed. There was a reason nobody had made a movie out of Watchmen. There were several major themes that he hit on, but never really drove home. I guess I was just filling in the blanks because I knew what to look for. He did nail the scene on Mars though.

Last edited:

The problem with Snyder is that he sucks.

tumblr_inline_o4gn4ub7841txi91z_500.gif

I won't spoil AOS. The main plot was contrived, but it was well done. Looking forward to what they're doing going forward.

That ending was one of the corniest, dumbest, cheesiest things I have ever seen on network TV, even for this 3rd tier corny comic tie-in show. That ending would have gotten laughed out of the Grey's Anatomy writers' room. I have been full on hate watching for a while, but that was the last straw, I think.

I really liked the Watchmen. The Watchmen had great character development and contrast as part of its core story though, and most of the story was drama between those characters, not ultraviolence.

Its clear that without excellent source material, Snyder has no idea what to do and defaults to blowing everything up.

Back