• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

I'd love to know more about the budget. They got film level stunt work, effects, and CGI on a Netflix budget.

I'd love to know more about the budget. They got film level stunt work, effects, and CGI on a Netflix budget.

We know that Disney earmarked $200 million for its Netflix venture, which sounds like a lot until you realize it isn’t: that $200 million has been divided across five separate Marvel series — Daredevil and Jessica Jones and three others still forthcoming — each presumably with multiple seasons.
The budget for a single episode of Daredevil we can conservatively guess to be a million dollars or two — a mere pittance next to, say, Game of Thrones, whose per-episode cost is more than $6 million. The point is that Marvel television is cheap where Marvel movies are profoundly expensive. With a budget of nearly $300 million, Age of Ultron can afford a bit of extravagance. Daredevil is obliged to be thrifty.

Well, as they say in the tech industry, the bug is a feature. Daredevil’s thrift has proven an asset. Unlike the gargantuan motion pictures, television series produced under the Marvel banner are pleasantly small, and not weighed down by the burden of box office billions.

The need to be ever more enormous has made movies like Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor: The Dark World ponderous and unwieldy; the breezy charm that endeared fans to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the first place has been stifled by the bloat. Age of Ultron was 140 minutes and felt twice that length. It’s too much: too much action, too much spectacle, too much myth-making and trumping up what’s next.

How liberating it is for Daredevil to simply be likeable — an unfussy, unshowy crime procedural leavened by kung-fu and courtroom intrigue. It’s afforded the freedom to linger on monologues and dedicate entire scenes to comic relief.
http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/television/the-biggest-bang-for-their-buck-why-netflix-and-marvel-fans-should-be-grateful-for-daredevils-budget-limitations
If they're bringing in each episode at between $1-2 million that's impressive. A low budget cable reality tv show that won't generate a fraction of the viewers or buzz costs around $250,000-350,000 per episode.

Louis CK vets 350k per episode. He spends what he wants and keeps the leftover with zero input or deadlines from FX.

http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/television/the-biggest-bang-for-their-buck-why-netflix-and-marvel-fans-should-be-grateful-for-daredevils-budget-limitations
If they're bringing in each episode at between $1-2 million that's impressive. A low budget cable reality tv show that won't generate a fraction of the viewers or buzz costs around $250,000-350,000 per episode.

That figure includes an excellent cast as well. The only leads I knew from other work were D'onfrio, Ritter, Dawson, chick from True Blood and woman from The Matrix.

An updated version of the Watchdogs from the Captain America comics should be a good addition to Agents of SHIELD.

Louis CK vets 350k per episode. He spends what he wants and keeps the leftover with zero input or deadlines from FX.

The idea that an hour of Daredevil cost only 3 times the cost of 30 min of Louie boggles the mind.

Ben Affleck has written his Batman script
Batman v Superman star Ben Affleck has already written a script for a standalone movie about the Dark Knight, according to William Morris Endeavor co-CEO Patrick Whitesell, whose agency represents Affleck.

Speaking to the Hollywood Reporter about how many movies Affleck has signed on for as Batman, he said, “He’s contracted to do at least Justice League [Part] One and Two, so at least three times wearing the cape.” Whitesell added, “There’s a script that he’s written that is a really cool [Batman] idea, so that’s out there as an option.”
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/30/ben-affleck-batman-script?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

The Deadpool effect?
A couple of weeks ago I spoke with an excellent source who told me something surprising: the trailer for Suicide Squad, the one with the Queen song, did not represent the film as it then existed. "Every joke in the movie is in that trailer," this source told me. The enormous positive response to the trailer led to Warner Bros requesting reshoots that would alter the tone of the film, bringing in some more of the lightness to which audiences responded.

I have since spoken to more sources and I understand that the reshoots are happening right now, as recently as this week, and that they're big - tens of millions of dollars big. And they're adding more humor and lightness into the film.

This, to me, is great news. Hearing that WB is aware that they need to inject some fun into these movies - and that's what I'm hearing is happening here, not that they're inserting jokes left and right but that they're beefing up fun character moments and interactions - can only mean good things for the future of the DC Movieverse after the deadly serious, zero fun Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Justice League begins shooting very, very soon - within a couple of weeks - could this attitude find itself a home on the set of the next Zack Snyder movie? Remember, this is the guy who didn't have Superman and Wonder Woman speak one word to each other - will WB mandate more character interactions? Word is that they're being much more involved this time around...
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/03/31/suicide-squad-reshoots-bode-well-for-the-dc-movieverse

if it took Deadpool to make WB figure out that people come to comic book movies to have fun, not be hit over the head with GRIM SERIOUS PLOTS, they must not be able to take hints very well.

Iron Man set the tone and every Marvel movie to date has shown how you can mix funny moments with big set-piece action and dramatic plots. Even Winter Soldier had plenty of those moments and it's probably the darkest Marvel movie to date.

was able to catch b v s. wow. a few thoughts that i don't think i have seen yet.

it really needed more slow motion moments. it's like cow bell. they make everything better! in a two hour movie how many times do you have to flash back to the gun and pearls? how long do we have to watch young bruce fly into the light with bats? you could have sped up every slo-mo scene and cut 10 minutes easy.

old bruce has a nightmare and is startled awake... but he's still in a nightmare and startles awake again. a nightmare within a nightmare scene? we already saw inception zach and you are no christopher nolen.

just saw a comment today that superman never once spoke to wonder woman. i did not even catch that but it can't be "unseen" now. it really is amazing.

what in the hell was your motivation mr luthor? how in the world did you overcome the advanced alien protections to take control of the ship? off screen?

i could not stop thinking about darth vader filling the pitcher with ocean water. sense, this movie makes none.

if it took Deadpool to make WB figure out that people come to comic book movies to have fun, not be hit over the head with GRIM SERIOUS PLOTS, they must not be able to take hints very well.

Iron Man set the tone and every Marvel movie to date has shown how you can mix funny moments with big set-piece action and dramatic plots. Even Winter Soldier had plenty of those moments and it's probably the darkest Marvel movie to date.

there seems to be some comic book movie makers with a chip on their shoulder. like they have not been taken seriously or something. they think the only way to make a comic book movie is completely serious (dark night like). they forget that "dark" is not the only way to make a great comic book story. marvel knew you can tell different types of stories as long as they are true to the story itself. oh and have some fun. it's a movie.

there seems to be some comic book movie makers with a chip on their shoulder. like they have not been taken seriously or something. they think the only way to make a comic book movie is completely serious (dark night like). they forget that "dark" is not the only way to make a great comic book story. marvel knew you can tell different types of stories as long as they are true to the story itself. oh and have some fun. it's a movie.

I think WB did Green Lantern funny and it flopped, then Nolan did Batman dark and it was great, so they concluded henceforth, all shall be dark and serious. Which is fine for Batman, but not for Superman, Wonderwoman, or really any other DC hero I can think of.

Marvel gets some humor into Daredevil v. Punisher for chrissakes.

So WB made a Joker and Harley movie with no jokes.

Good job, good effort.

Marvel benefits from being so familiar with the characters.

Fox benefits from having originated X-Men and ushered in the modern CB film. Both know what they're doing.

Outside of Nolan, WB knows nothing and hasn't succeeded with any characters except Batman This is the this underwhelming modern Superman movie.

green lantern tried to be funny. it was a bad script and a bad villain. even had they had amazing acting it would not have helped.

So WB made a Joker and Harley movie with no jokes.

Good job, good effort.

That was my first thought. And my guess is that it is going to cost them a pretty penny to get Leto and Robbie (and probably Will Smith) back on set. So we'll probably end up with more Captain Boomerang, or knock off Tom Hardy jokes.

Daredevil S2 is pretty awful. Electra is great but everything else is pretty terrible. It doesnt help that the show already has the problem of Matt Murdock being the most, boring, vanilla lamest part of the show, and then they make him even more unlikable in S2.

Also Kingpin is now orka fat with bus driver arms, yet the first time we see him he is like inclining 450lbs with no spotter.

was able to catch b v s. wow. a few thoughts that i don't think i have seen yet.

it really needed more slow motion moments. it's like cow bell. they make everything better! in a two hour movie how many times do you have to flash back to the gun and pearls? how long do we have to watch young bruce fly into the light with bats? you could have sped up every slo-mo scene and cut 10 minutes easy.

old bruce has a nightmare and is startled awake... but he's still in a nightmare and startles awake again. a nightmare within a nightmare scene? we already saw inception zach and you are no christopher nolen.

just saw a comment today that superman never once spoke to wonder woman. i did not even catch that but it can't be "unseen" now. it really is amazing.

what in the hell was your motivation mr luthor? how in the world did you overcome the advanced alien protections to take control of the ship? off screen?

i could not stop thinking about darth vader filling the pitcher with ocean water. sense, this movie makes none.

Are you referring to Flash's appearance in the bolded text? I don't think that was a dream, but who the Hell knows?

Back