• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

Godspeed, Joss Whedon. May you never have to write and direct an under appreciated TV show again.

Listening to Sepinwall and Fienberg's podcast this week and they're ripping TDKR to shreds. Just hating on it like it's an episode of Smash.

This little tidbit from the Joss article was interesting too:

"(Whedon will) help develop a new live action series for Marvel Television at ABC"

I look forward to seeing The Flash portrayed as a gritty kid from Southie. Maybe not the smartest guy, but loyal.

Maybe he ejected when he blew up the building so that no one would know. If we're going this far, then how did Batman sneak to the middle of a very crowded room and surprise the Joker? None of the party goers saw him? What about henchmen? Was everyone systematically slaughtered after Batman dove out the window to save Rachel? We didn't see that either but no one assumes that it happened.

He was shown in the Bat twice after that scene. He didn't jump out then.

I just had my 2nd viewing yesterday to see it in IMAX and I have to say this was a prevailing thought for me this time, with some Los Angeles mixed in (the motorcycle chase scene). I need to rewatch BB because I remember it having a more distinct "Gotham" feel rather than hey look it's NY, now Pittsburgh, now LA. If there's one thing the Burton movies had over these Nolan movies it was the look and feel of Gotham.

one that bothered me was how in TDK when the Joker said he'd blow up the bridges and tunnels they show cops inspecting a short bridge over the Chicago (Gotham?) River, but in this one you see massive suspension bridges blowing up. I assume those were in NYC. you could just tell in TDK how it was essentially Chicago, but this time with Pittsburgh and NYC used it sorta jumbled up how the city looked overall.

The Dark Knight was filmed almost exclusively in Chicago, and Im pretty sure that all of the cityscapes were filmed there. Rises is all over the place.

Maybe he ejected when he blew up the building so that no one would know. If we're going this far, then how did Batman sneak to the middle of a very crowded room and surprise the Joker? None of the party goers saw him? What about henchmen? Was everyone systematically slaughtered after Batman dove out the window to save Rachel? We didn't see that either but no one assumes that it happened.

Remember that the bomb was only tied by a steel cable to the Batwing. It wasnt strapped to it. I think the more plausible scenario of Batman surviving would be that he just released the cable, dropped the bomb into the ocean and flew away.

Didn't someone already mention there could be an ejector pod or something? Maybe he was in something like that in those shots.

EIther way, TDKR did several things extremely well that outweigh any plot inconsistencies, continuity issues, etc: it was well-acted, it was entertaining as hell, it connected emotionally and it satisfactorily brought Bruce Wayne's journey to an end. The fact that it got dark too fast as Bane was leaving the stock exchange, which i noticed the 2nd time, is completely irrelevant to whether i enjoyed myself for 2.5 hours (hell yes i did).

The Dark Knight was filmed almost exclusively in Chicago, and Im pretty sure that all of the cityscapes were filmed there. Rises is all over the place.

A lot of the movie was filmed in Pittsburgh.

Eta- oops misread. Thought you were talking about tdkr

Last edited:

Right so it gave Gotham a more unified look. As you say this one just blended a bunch of cities into one and used some cgi for sure like when how it looks when the bat is going out to sea

I just saw it last night, and I thought that this was the best of the three movies. I've read most of the comments on this thread and only have a couple of responses:

People saying that there wasn't a performance like Ledger's are really being unfair. First of all, that was an all-time legendary performance. Secondly, Hardy had to act using only his eyes and voice. He was so totally limited in what he was able to use to portray Bane because of the mask. Just the scene where he looks at Talia as she is climbing out of the hole shows his ability.

Batman isn't dead. Batman is a symbol and like Ras Al Ghul is "immortal" in the sense that the symbol persists. That's why Gordon had a new bat signal, JGL got the coordinates to the Bat Cave, etc.

You are undervaluing Ledger's performance. His facial expressions where only a small part of it. His eyes, voice, and mannerisms were as good or better than Hardy's.

You are undervaluing Ledger's performance. His facial expressions where only a small part of it. His eyes, voice, and mannerisms were as good or better than Hardy's.

He didn't say it was worse. He is saying that people who say Hardy's wasn't as good as Ledger's are underselling Hardy.

I have this thread subscribed. Interestingly I only get notifications when freak posts. Same thing happens on the NCAA ps3 thread when revdeac posts. Weird.

I hear this all the time. People don't understand how great Hardy's performance was.

He took a 20 year old character and brought him to life. It was a very good personification of Bane. I don't like Bane. I liked Bane in this movie.

Ledger took a character with more than a half century's worth of creative incarnations, and made him new. Not only new, but better and more true to the character's identity.

I appreciate Hardy's performance just fine, but I appreciate Ledger's more with time.

He took a 20 year old character and brought him to life. It was a very good personification of Bane. I don't like Bane. I liked Bane in this movie.

Ledger took a character with more than a half century's worth of creative incarnations, and made him new. Not only new, but better and more true to the character's identity.

I appreciate Hardy's performance just fine, but I appreciate Ledger's more with time.

You'd be an idiot to not appreciate Ledger's performance, you just can't compare it with Bane because the nature of their characters.

Hardy's performance in TDKR wasn't as good as Eckhart's Dent.

Hathaway and JGL were great though.

Hardy is at best, the 4th best performance in the film. Hathaway, JGL, and Caine have him beat.

Just my $.02.

You'd be an idiot to not appreciate Ledger's performance, you just can't compare it with Bane because the nature of their characters.

Yeah, there's no comparison here between the two roles. Ledger portrayed an eccentric madman with tons of personality. He had room to be creative, to make it his own. He had no limitations. His performance was amazing, and there is no doubt he deserved his Oscar. I think Hardy deserves at least an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Bane, and I don't quite understand why he's not getting much recognition for how amazing he was. I guess it's that people (mostly talking about the critical reaction here) wanted another Joker, but they got Hannibal Lecter mixed with Freddy Kruger, except he didn't deliver any wisecracks. Make no mistake though, Hardy had plenty of fun with this role. If you watch him closely there are several scenes where he does things that are hilarious (his line deliveries, the little shake he does at the end of his speech in front of Black Gate prison), Hardy put every bit as much of originality into his role as Ledger did into the Joker. And I find Hardy to be a more commanding presence. I think it will take a while for people to realize how incredible Hardy was in this role, and I think somewhere down the line people will be talking about Hardy's Bane as one of the best movie villains of all time.

Back