• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

Yeah, there's no comparison here between the two roles. Ledger portrayed an eccentric madman with tons of personality. He had room to be creative, to make it his own. He had no limitations. His performance was amazing, and there is no doubt he deserved his Oscar. I think Hardy deserves at least an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Bane, and I don't quite understand why he's not getting much recognition for how amazing he was. I guess it's that people (mostly talking about the critical reaction here) wanted another Joker, but they got Hannibal Lecter mixed with Freddy Kruger, except he didn't deliver any wisecracks. Make no mistake though, Hardy had plenty of fun with this role. If you watch him closely there are several scenes where he does things that are hilarious (his line deliveries, the little shake he does at the end of his speech in front of Black Gate prison), Hardy put every bit as much of originality into his role as Ledger did into the Joker. And I find Hardy to be a more commanding presence. I think it will take a while for people to realize how incredible Hardy was in this role, and I think somewhere down the line people will be talking about Hardy's Bane as one of the best movie villains of all time.

wow, seriously? people need to pump the brakes when it comes to talking about these Batman movies

wow, seriously? people need to pump the brakes when it comes to talking about these Batman movies

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I enjoyed TDKR just fine, but all this "best villain" "best picture" "ZOMFG!" talk about this movie is beyond overblown.

Yeah, there's no comparison here between the two roles. Ledger portrayed an eccentric madman with tons of personality. He had room to be creative, to make it his own. He had no limitations. His performance was amazing, and there is no doubt he deserved his Oscar. I think Hardy deserves at least an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Bane, and I don't quite understand why he's not getting much recognition for how amazing he was. I guess it's that people (mostly talking about the critical reaction here) wanted another Joker, but they got Hannibal Lecter mixed with Freddy Kruger, except he didn't deliver any wisecracks. Make no mistake though, Hardy had plenty of fun with this role. If you watch him closely there are several scenes where he does things that are hilarious (his line deliveries, the little shake he does at the end of his speech in front of Black Gate prison), Hardy put every bit as much of originality into his role as Ledger did into the Joker. And I find Hardy to be a more commanding presence. I think it will take a while for people to realize how incredible Hardy was in this role, and I think somewhere down the line people will be talking about Hardy's Bane as one of the best movie villains of all time.

It is at least partially because he is still alive.

ETA: I don't think he was better than Ledger and am with the others with the "pump the brakes" sentiment.

I don't see why saying Hardy will one day be seen as a great all time villain is a "pump the brakes" worthy statement. I'm not saying the movie will one day be seen as one of the best flicks ever made, just that people don't seem to be recognizing the greatness of Hardy's performance.

Hardy is not even top 3 of performances of villains in this trilogy. He is maybe cracking the top 5 of batman movie villains, and that might be a stretch.

Ledger
Nicholson
Eckhart
Hamil (if he counts)
Maybe Hardy

You bros lost in Hardy's eyes need to slow up.

I don't see why saying Hardy will one day be seen as a great all time villain is a "pump the brakes" worthy statement. I'm not saying the movie will one day be seen as one of the best flicks ever made, just that people don't seem to be recognizing the greatness of Hardy's performance.

Seems much more likely that the majority has a correct appreciation for a performance you are overrating.

Hathaway > Hardy

I am with WakeFanatic on this one. I thought Hardy was unreal good. I would put him right there with Heath Ledger as a top villain. In an era of over-production often comes overacting, and neither one of these actors did that. They were over-the-top and under control at the same time, like a superevil comic book villain should be.

If I could make another comparison, I really wish Prometheus had been a better written movie because of the performances given by Fassbender and Theron. Even Fassbender's disembodied head was incredibly talented, much like the unbelievable emoting you could read from only Bane's body language and eyes.

I am still in the camp that Dark Knight was better than Rises, in spite of the former's few flaws (which as I've mentioned before for me deal with storyboarding and/or pacing), but some of the gripes y'all have put on these flicks are definitely because of the expectations Nolan has made for himself.

I'm asking this for discussion purposes, but do any of you think it's possible Nolan filmed bridges/locations around America that were more obviously American than Gothic for a reason? It's not a very big leap at all to make allegorical connections to contemporary America. When compared to Burton, I think people like feeling more immersed in Gotham than being jarred back to America by recognition, but I don't think it is necessarily a continuity flaw by a director with painstaking attention to detail.

This x 1000. Nail meet head.

Hmm, well time will tell. Maybe I'm just wrapped up in having seen the movie recently and trying to defend Hardy. But I don't think so. As far as villains in this trilogy, I'd go

Hardy
Cillian Murphy
Ledger
Neeson
Eckhart

Wow, I have Eckhart at the bottom here but still think his performance was great. Some terrific casting in this trilogy.

I'd even go as far as to say Liam Neeson's R'as Al Ghul was better than Bane. Don't get me wrong, Hardy made what is a really corny character in the comics a believable, diabolical madman. I just wouldn't put him ahead of Ledger, Eckhart, Hathaway, or Neeson.

Now you are just trolling with your love of man eyes putting Murphy about Ledger.

I am with WakeFanatic on this one. I thought Hardy was unreal good. I would put him right there with Heath Ledger as a top villain. In an era of over-production often comes overacting, and neither one of these actors did that. They were over-the-top and under control at the same time, like a superevil comic book villain should be.

If I could make another comparison, I really wish Prometheus had been a better written movie because of the performances given by Fassbender and Theron. Even Fassbender's disembodied head was incredibly talented, much like the unbelievable emoting you could read from only Bane's body language and eyes.

I am still in the camp that Dark Knight was better than Rises, in spite of the former's few flaws (which as I've mentioned before for me deal with storyboarding and/or pacing), but some of the gripes y'all have put on these flicks are definitely because of the expectations Nolan has made for himself.

I'm asking this for discussion purposes, but do any of you think it's possible Nolan filmed bridges/locations around America that were more obviously American than Gothic for a reason? It's not a very big leap at all to make allegorical connections to contemporary America. When compared to Burton, I think people like feeling more immersed in Gotham than being jarred back to America by recognition, but I don't think it is necessarily a continuity flaw by a director with painstaking attention to detail.

I rank them 1a and 1b with Ledger edging it out.

I don't mind the bridges etc., but there were some surprising misses by them in this movie. Namely the 8 minutes from day time to dark.

I kinda wish Nolan would come back and do a fourth one just so he could cast Fassbender as a villain. Here's to hoping that whatever Nolan does next, Fassbender is in it. Or Ryan Gosling. Or Tom Hardy again.

I'd even go as far as to say Liam Neeson's R'as Al Ghul was better than Bane. Don't get me wrong, Hardy made what is a really corny character in the comics a believable, diabolical madman. I just wouldn't put him ahead of Ledger, Eckhart, Hathaway, or Neeson.

Really? I would put Liam Neeson at the bottom of the list without a second thought.

I assumed he came in fast. Everyone was distracted by the Joker about to slice Rachel up. Batman then grapples back up to the penthouse, and joker runs away. Not too far fetched.

It's not about how far fetched it is (I agree with you about grappling back up). The point was that it didn't happen on screen and most people don't talk about it. Batman surviving happens off screen and everyone is up in arms about how implausible it is that he would survive the blast radius. Basically, BB set the standard and got everyone stoked for TDK and seemed to overhype it before seeing it. TDK managed to hurdle the expectations and, at least in my mind, is the best comic book movie made to date. That made it impossible for TDKR to be given a fair chance, thus all the extreme nitpicking with stuff that was overlooked in the first two.

It's not about how far fetched it is (I agree with you about grappling back up). The point was that it didn't happen on screen and most people don't talk about it. Batman surviving happens off screen and everyone is up in arms about how implausible it is that he would survive the blast radius. Basically, BB set the standard and got everyone stoked for TDK and seemed to overhype it before seeing it. TDK managed to hurdle the expectations and, at least in my mind, is the best comic book movie made to date. That made it impossible for TDKR to be given a fair chance, thus all the extreme nitpicking with stuff that was overlooked in the first two.

Who really cares about the Joker and Batman scene in the penthouse? I don't. Certainly not enough to dissect it. The ending of TDKR is a pivotal, life or death situation. Of course it is going to be nitpicked. It's just too implausible the way it is laid out in the movie.

Back