• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

A few non-spoiler takes:

- it was slow-paced — could have told that story in 1.5 hours instead of 2
- it seemed more interested in putting together a collection of memorable (or evening GIF-able) scenes than a cohesive story
- I’m unsure what its take on mental illness and mental health is, despite the fact that it seemed to have strived to be its ultimate message

Phoenix is good, but if it weren’t a Batman movie then nobody would be that nuts about it — it doesn’t stand alone on its own merit

Fair enough. I thought it put the impetus of introspection on the viewer, and was like watching a less ham-fisted Haneke. Plus Phoenix was amazing, and I thought the cinematography was crazy beautiful as well.

Not sure what this means. I don’t really know anything about Marvel. I like Dr Strange! I like Nolan’s Batmans. I get that lots of the movies are going for stuff that isn’t for me, so I don’t seek it out and I don’t rag on the people who do or the movies themselves.

Me too

Two things I liked about Batwoman:

1) Gives us a peek into what was going on with Batman during the time of the Arrowverse with the promise of more. Not sure how much time has passed since Oliver returned to Star City, I'm assuming it's at least 3 years, the duration of Bruce's disappearance (Batman's too! What a coinkidink).

2) It pisses off people I like to see pissed off.

I could make a third point for hot chicks smooching, but in 2019 one doesn't need a weekly tv show for that.

I'll give another episode a watch and that'll be that.

Oh another notable thing is it features the man that could have been Wolverine. Dougray Scott was supposed to be Logan but ditched it for MI-2. At that moment in time that may have seemed like a good decision but history doesn't look back on that choice kindly.

Supergirl was fine. It's found a groove that works for it and it's following up on plot lines from last season.

Black Lightning was fine. It's clearly lost the magic of the first season. Now they're leaning on politics to help with the meta trafficking plot.

Thought Joker was great. My only issue was the Batman stuff was poorly done and I think I would have preferred to know less about Batman origins before, because Joker killing 3 banker dudes leading to a revolution seems too simplistic for a Joker-related situation. That was all post-thought though, enjoyed the movie while watching it, Phoenix is amazing.

Haven’t seen it yet. Not sure when I will. Does it set up a sequel? My impression was that it was a one off but why bother bringing the Waynes in other wise.

I don't know about "set up" but it's certainly an option and a potentially interesting one. He's now reached his dreams and is the leader of a movement, the easy answer to how he masterminds "bank heists and such".

Haven’t seen it yet. Not sure when I will. Does it set up a sequel? My impression was that it was a one off but why bother bringing the Waynes in other wise.

Haven't seen it and won't until it hits DVD/HBO, but doesn't it set-up the Pattinson Batman? I don't think there is any way Phoenix resprises his role in a Joker sequel.

There's no reason to believe this isn't part of the main DCEU, frankly. The Joker origin has never been defined or even relevant in comics. He's just an agent of chaos and not knowing his background even helps that. It's entirely possible this is just a role that others take on over the years.

I definitely don't see Phoenix signing up for some sort of Justice League vs the Injustice League situation. My bet is this is the last we see of him.

Pattinson as Batman is another story. If Joker is part of DCEU and Pattinson is part of that then there's still lots of good Bat stories to tell between the time of Joker and BvS. Then go back to Affleck for JL movies? Tune in to find out.

I have not seen Joker but doesn't it take place in the 70s or 80s? Would the Pattinson Batman take place in a cohesive timeframe (long enough for young Bruce to grow up?). If it were to take place in modern day wouldn't the Joker be in his 70s or 80s?

My hypothetical timeline
Joker - 1981 Bruce is... I want to say 10? Let's just say 10. Joker is about 30.
BvS - let's assume 2016. Bruce would be 45 here, that fits with Affleck. Phoenix's Joker would be 65.
Suicide Squad - also 2016. Leto's character is clearly more around 30 not 65. This is why I hypothesize that The Joker isn't an individual, but a role someone assumes.

Pattinson is 33 and could play a year 1 Batman, since he has a youthful glow. So you could sandwich in some young Batman stories between Joker and BvS, which I wouldn't mind at all, so those movies aren't burdened with "hey what's Aquaman up to?"

My hypothetical timeline
Joker - 1981 Bruce is... I want to say 10? Let's just say 10. Joker is about 30.
BvS - let's assume 2016. Bruce would be 45 here, that fits with Affleck. Phoenix's Joker would be 65.
Suicide Squad - also 2016. Leto's character is clearly more around 30 not 65. This is why I hypothesize that The Joker isn't an individual, but a role someone assumes.

Pattinson is 33 and could play a year 1 Batman, since he has a youthful glow. So you could sandwich in some young Batman stories between Joker and BvS, which I wouldn't mind at all, so those movies aren't burdened with "hey what's Aquaman up to?"

This would be a good way to do a future Joker. Batman Beyond kind of did this with the Jokerz Gang. Obviously there was also Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker which was amazing, but probably not something that would work on big screen.

I read a Batman Beyond retrospective that was talking about what the show (debuted in 1999 and mostly set in 2039) got right and wrong about the future. One thing it said the show definitely got right was the Jokerz. In the show, it's a loosely affiliated organization of gangs influenced by the Joker with a strong modern analog to online trolls.

Last edited:
Isn't it possible that Phoenix's Joker character was just an inspiration for the Joker that we've grown to know? Hard to imagine that someone of this Joker's intellect being capable of pulling off any mastermind crime. Also showing the Wayne death being done by another person, it seems reasonable that he was the future Joker and not Phoenix.

Lots of rumors that Disney is putting together an offer to buy Spider-man rights from Sony for $4-5B. That's as much as Disney paid for Marvel in the first place. Can't see how Sony turns that down. Sure, Disney will make that back in about 6-7 Spidey appearances, but it would take a very long time for Sony to make that much off the property.

Back