• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

yeah there was really no point to this being set in 1984 other than to kick off some nostalgia. seems like it would have been a better idea to do something like WW1, WW2, Cold War/Vietnam in the sequels.

And even in the nostalgia part it falls flat. Apart from the opening mall sequence and Pine's audition of outfits, nothing about the movie really screamed 80s. I guess the Cold War plot, but it's not like they couldn't have applied that to a different era.

And it's remarkable how many things seeking to rekindle the 80s nostalgia fail to do so. Stranger Things has come the closest, particularly in the first season, but mostly it's just a caricature of the 80s. It's also amazing how little detail they put into the hairstyles from that time. Remember all those pics of Kavanaugh from the early 80s during his confirmation hearing? Pretty much everybody had that style from about 82-86 and nobody gets it right in the movies. They just dress people in bright colors or a Don Johnson linen suit and plop them in a mall and say, "80s!"

The 80s mall scene was a pretty cool visual. Standard Waldenbooks shot. Which mall in DC was it supposed to be?

You can film DC to be in the 80s without having to do a ton of background CGI.

Some Marvel tidbits. Has anybody checked out the Marvel podcasts on SiriusXM?

https://www.marvel.com/articles/pod...ches-exclusive-new-audio-series-with-siriusxm

There was a big Eternals info dump on Twitter yesterday. Cast descriptions and such. Definitely got me more excited about the film. There is a rumor of a DisneyXD animated series coming next year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/eternalsnews

It was Landmark Mall in Alexandria

It was Landmark Mall in Alexandria

I lived near there 8 or 9 years ago. Like many malls it was a crappy dying place filled with an odd collection of stores. When I heard they were filming there I thought it must have been a cheap rental and it was so empty they could make it look like anything. No idea what shape its in now.

The best part of the DISCO finale was hearing the TOS closing theme. I assume that nod and the way Adm. Vance phrased their new mission of visiting disparate worlds they are considering going to a Problem of The Week framework?

Still got a week bro.

And ww2 came out almost two weeks ago. Just want to see something else.

What was WW’s budget? Not many scenes with CGI and when it was there it sucked (other than maybe the opening).

See deaconson, we're still talking about it.

I don't know. It doesn't take much CGI to make DC look like the 80s.

$200M budget. Most superhero films are in the $150-200 range. The big team ups are in the $300M range.

The best part of the DISCO finale was hearing the TOS closing theme. I assume that nod and the way Adm. Vance phrased their new mission of visiting disparate worlds they are considering going to a Problem of The Week framework?

That and the Roddenberry quote were my "best parts". I inferred that next season is going to be episodic, reestablish relations season. I'm fine with that.

What I'm not fine with and what caused me to get to 9.5 on the nerdrage scale was the depiction of the ships innards around the turbolifts. Good lord did no one on staff ever buy a technical manual or better yet - these blueprints:

61oPg39QV8L._SY409_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm not buying any bs about a retrofit when they got to the future. I'm genuinely angry about this.

Overall I liked the season though.

My wife and I started WW84 a few days after Christmas and finished it today. Her response was, "meh" and I couldn't disagree. Kristen Wiig just didn't do it for me and the trope of superhero loses powers is probably my least favorite. I expected better.

That and the Roddenberry quote were my "best parts". I inferred that next season is going to be episodic, reestablish relations season. I'm fine with that.

What I'm not fine with and what caused me to get to 9.5 on the nerdrage scale was the depiction of the ships innards around the turbolifts. Good lord did no one on staff ever buy a technical manual or better yet - these blueprints:

61oPg39QV8L._SY409_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm not buying any bs about a retrofit when they got to the future. I'm genuinely angry about this.

Overall I liked the season though.

yes but PROGRAMABLE MATTER

the burn was dumb. it's fine that dilithium blew up or whatever but maybe just make it a weird natural thing instead of....that

Some critics got to watch the first 3 episode of Wandavision and, after scanning Twitter, the buzz is VERY good. Can't wait.

Back to Disco... Trek is just brimming with folks that would be more than thrilled to do a 3-d model of what even a hollowed out ship would look like and share that with the show's creative team. Maybe this is a secret crossover with Dr. Who and the Federation uses TARDIS technology.

Last edited:
I saw one reviewer say these episodes lasted 1/2 hour.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Yeah, I saw it described as sitcom length. Or, slight shorter than s1 of mandalorian.

Deadpool 3 will be rated R and in the MCU. They're working on a script now.
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/deadpool-3-rated-4-mcu-confirmed-kevin-feige/

Thoughts on a spoiler rule for Disney+ shows? We had a kind of convoluted rule for the Netflix shows that all dropped at once that basically ended up with us not discussing them at all. The rule for network TV shows is that they're fair game the night they air. I'm thinking that the Disney+ shows can be fair game for discussion by 10 pm Friday. That seems like a happy medium that will allow night of discussion.

Back