• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

Saw X-Men: First Class last night. Quite good. Had the same feel as the first X-Men movie which is weird because the triumph of that movie was that it showed that it was possible to make really good superhero movies, particularly superhero team movies. I guess after X3 and Wolverine, we needed to feel that way again.

The story was good. The characters were good. Liked the Xavier-Mystique angle and liked that Magneto was pretty consistent throughout. They didn't go for a good guy turning evil angle. He had his philosophy and agenda and stuck with it. Fassbender played the hell out of that part. Shame I haven't seen any of the recent movies he's been in. Kevin Bacon was fantastic. It's easy to forget how good he really is. McAvoy's take on Xavier was quite good. Loved the mutation pick up line. They did well not to get into why a telepath needs a pick up line.

The decision to do a historical fiction piece worked very well. By placing the story in a different time and context, it separated itself from the earlier trilogy and the Wolverine movie and other unconnected Marvel work. I'm concerned how much of a prequel it will be because it shouldn't be and I think it will probably steer clear of comics lore in some ways which is good as well.

Is it going to be a trilogy?

My revised list of Marvel first movies in the series:

Iron Man
Spiderman
X-Men
X-Men: First Class
Thor
Blade

[big gap]

Hulk (either "first movie")
Fantastic Four
Daredevil

I only put it below the first X-men due to the groundbreaking significance of the first one. Seeing First Class and Thor reasonably close to each other, I definitely think First Class has more staying power and rewatchability and potential to laugh sequels.

A few additional thoughts:

I agree that the Rise of the Planet of the Apes trailer looks awesome.

I'm convinced Green Lantern will suck balls. No reviews on RT less than 48 hours from release.

The most random trailer I've seen in awhile has to be that Hugh Jackman and Kate from Lost flick that looks like Mattel sold the movie rights to Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots and some guy who was a teenager in the 70s wrote the screenplay based on his love for that game and Rocky.

Last edited:
I think it is supposed to be a trilogy with the next ones in the 70s and 80s. and you really oughta see Inglourious Basterds. what a great film.

OK. That's what I was hoping. If they stick with the prequel concept that means Havok and Cyclops aren't brothers (unless they use some convoluted Summers family history).

Gotta think they'll go with Sentinels in the next movie. I imagine they'll stick with the X-Men vs. Brotherhood vs. humans theme and that makes sense as a way to go. I can't think of another common 2nd villain who helps accomplish that although I'd love to see Mr. Sinister, Apocalypse, and some other major villains.

OK. That's what I was hoping. If they stick with the prequel concept that means Havok and Cyclops aren't brothers (unless they use some convoluted Summers family history).

Gotta think they'll go with Sentinels in the next movie. I imagine they'll stick with the X-Men vs. Brotherhood vs. humans theme and that makes sense as a way to go. I can't think of another common 2nd villain who helps accomplish that although I'd love to see Mr. Sinister, Apocalypse, and some other major villains.

Mr. Sinister would be fantastic!

I just don't get the infatuation with Iron Man. I don't think the first one was that great and the second one was terrible.

I still think Spiderman 2 is the high water mark for Marvel movies, with X2 a close second.

Perfect casting for the lead. Good CGI. Good simple origin story. Unique in that most superheroes aren't technological geniuses inside a killing machine.

"Convoluted Summers family history" hoo boy, I can't even begin to summarize their history. There are aliens, time travel and alternate dimensions in their family tree. X-Men movies haven't gotten that outlandish, but who knows.

Perfect casting for the lead. Good CGI. Good simple origin story. Unique in that most superheroes aren't technological geniuses inside a killing machine.

Those all sound like strengths of the comic story vs the actual film (other than the casting and CGI). Agree to disagree I suppose.

I also think Iron Man made strides to make Superheroes "cool" to non-comic book geeks.

Oh man, once they're finished with this current run of X-Men, I'd love to see the do something like Days of Future Past, but involve Cable and Bishop, maybe Rachel Summers. #nerdgasm

It appears it is as feared...Green Lantern is getting torn apart. Even one of my favorite comics website (which is usually biased for comic movies) said it fails on so many levels. Rocking a 29% on RT. Says Reynolds lacks range, and the chick is apparently just really, really awful.

One thing I wish could happen (though unlikely due to the Hollywood formula) is that we could stop forcing love interests into these movies too soon. These characters are compelling enough to not need it, and more times than not, the love interest ends up just getting in the way of the grander storyline.

I also think Iron Man made strides to make Superheroes "cool" to non-comic book geeks.

Well said. I think that's what I was trying to say in a more technical way.

It appears it is as feared...Green Lantern is getting torn apart. Even one of my favorite comics website (which is usually biased for comic movies) said it fails on so many levels. Rocking a 29% on RT. Says Reynolds lacks range, and the chick is apparently just really, really awful.

One thing I wish could happen (though unlikely due to the Hollywood formula) is that we could stop forcing love interests into these movies too soon. These characters are compelling enough to not need it, and more times than not, the love interest ends up just getting in the way of the grander storyline.

Agreed. At the risk of sounding like a pre-pubescent boy, I don't want to see all that mushy stuff. Just give me the straight action without forcing a love story.

At this point, can we go ahead and say that DC movie/TV properties besides Batman are in a world of hurt? Marvel has put together very strong efforts with their Spiderman, X-Men, and Avengers properties and was even decent with Fantastic Four. Now they have backing from Disney to go all out on Avengers.

No doubt The Dark Knight is one of the best movies period in recent memory and the best comic book movie and obviously Batman Begins was very good. Smallville finished up a strong 10 season run, yet another example of Superman's staying power on TV.

But DC doesn't have any other mainstream property that's bankable. GL looks like a flop. Superman Returns was woefully bad and the memory of it may hurt next year's Superman movie. They tried to put a lower tier character on the screen in Jonah Hex. Didn't see it but didn't hear good things. Same with Steel. On top of that the Wonder Woman TV pilot didn't even get picked up.

Does anybody really believe that other DC characters like Hawkman, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, Plastic Man, or even a Justice League movie has great potential? Not me.

At least they have their animated TV and movies which have generally been good.

----------------------------

The IGN write-up is very harsh about DC's long-term prospects (lots of spoilers inside):

Last summer gave us the DC bomb that was Jonah Hex and this summer offers the colossal disappointment that is Green Lantern. The epitome of spectacle over substance, Green Lantern is a cosmic mess and a huge letdown given the source material it had to draw from. Indeed, X-Men: The Last Stand and Wolverine are better than Green Lantern. This was DC and Warner Bros.' best bet yet at establishing a deeper bullpen of big screen superheroes beyond Batman and Superman, but the film is bad enough to possibly kill any hope for ever seeing The Flash or Justice League.
I can't stress enough what a setback the creative failure of Green Lantern is for DC and Warners' plans for a broader DC cinematic universe akin to Marvel's. Even if the movie makes money (I'm sure it will open strongly and probably do well overseas), it's not a film that DC or Warners can honestly say they're happy with. If DC and Warners had hoped this would be their Star Wars (a comparison the filmmakers have been all too happy to make for months now) then Green Lantern only offers fans the wonder of the creature-filled cantina scene, but none of the thrill of the Death Star run or the emotional resonance of any of its iconic characters. No, this isn't DC's Star Wars. It's not even their Last Starfighter; it's their Flash Gordon, but without the cool tunes or self-aware cheesiness. It's a frustrating, deeply flawed film rife with missed story opportunities and squandered potential. Green Lantern deserved better.
---------------------

Hadn't heard the internal Star Wars comparison. Stuff like this really makes you wonder how people can make a movie and hype it up so much. Meanwhile, just based on random clips and trailers, we the fans think it looks horrible. You'd think the DC people would see something in the script or early stages to stop them from releasing this turd.

Last edited:
Saw 1st Class last night. Good movie. Way better than Thor. The Sebastian Shaw character has always bugged me, but It was pretty well done. Would defs go see more movies with this cast.

Wow, that is a damning review, especially how matter of factly it says X3 and W:O are better.

I harbored a hope that GL would be better than folks were expecting and was likely to see it. Now I just don't think I will, if for no other reason than I don't want to support crap.

The long standing view was that, outside of Superman and Batman, Marvel had much stronger characters, DC was able to tell better stories. I think movies are going to be more dependent on the characters for their success. DC simply doesn't have the depth that Marvel does.

Wow, that is a damning review, especially how matter of factly it says X3 and W:O are better.

I harbored a hope that GL would be better than folks were expecting and was likely to see it. Now I just don't think I will, if for no other reason than I don't want to support crap.

The long standing view was that, outside of Superman and Batman, Marvel had much stronger characters, DC was able to tell better stories. I think movies are going to be more dependent on the characters for their success. DC simply doesn't have the depth that Marvel does.

Yeah. As much as I enjoyed the Justice League and JLU animated series and am currently enjoying Young Justice, I don't see those characters translating well to movies. Marvel Studios has done an exceptional job with their Avengers properties and Fox seems to be righting the wrongs with X-men.

I'd say JLU supports Marvel = characters, DC = story. The plot to JLU was awesome, they were able to tell an overarching story over many episodes. That was the draw, not "I can't wait to see what Red Tornado is up to this week!"

Anyway, my bigger concern about Green Lantern flopping is that some studio execs may infer "cosmic storylines don't work" and I'll never see the Silver Surfer movie I'm hoping gets made one of these days.

I'd say JLU supports Marvel = characters, DC = story. The plot to JLU was awesome, they were able to tell an overarching story over many episodes. That was the draw, not "I can't wait to see what Red Tornado is up to this week!"

Anyway, my bigger concern about Green Lantern flopping is that some studio execs may infer "cosmic storylines don't work" and I'll never see the Silver Surfer movie I'm hoping gets made one of these days.

Without revealing spoilers, the full review vaguely has a similar concern.

While I think it was a decent enough movie, I think FF2 killed the chance of a Silver Surfer movie, at least in the next 5-10 years.

Well the GL reviews are as devastating as expected. I have doubts this will break $20M on this opening weekend before it tapers off dramatically from there.

22% on RT with this summary:

Noisy, overproduced, and thinly written, Green Lantern squanders an impressive budget and decades of comics mythology.

------------
It's particularly devastating coming after two well-reviewed movies featuring Marvel characters and before a third that looks like it should be at least as good.

What really sucks about this is that Green Lantern: The Animated Series premieres in Sept and could really have used good momentum from this movie. It's being produced by Bruce Timm, one of the men responsible for Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, and Justice League/Justice League Unlimited. Green Lantern eps and characters in those shows were pretty good.

There's also a Green Lantern direct-to-DVD animated feature that I think has already been released. The first one was decent, but not great.

Back