• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

Bay is pretty terrible...and I don't get the X-Men First Class and Thor movies having no identity. That's complete nonsense. But, some prefer style over substance, and I get that. To me, though, 2 hours of kinetic action, as you put it, is just exhaustingly boring. For an example on how to get the right mix, go re-watch The Dark Knight. Chris Nolan absolutely nails the balance by giving the action some meaning by using the plot to build tension around it.

Edited: As pointed out, I'm an idiot. Chris Nolan makes movies, Nolan Smith eats cheetos at home (because the NBA is locked out).

Last edited:
Edited: As pointed out, I'm an idiot. Chris Nolan makes movies, Nolan Smith eats cheetos at home (because the NBA is locked out).

It's OK, I am quite sure Nolan Smith could make a more engaging movie than Michael Bay.

Bay does make things blow up good though!

12 minutes of gameplay footage from Batman: Arkham City.

batmanarkhamth.jpg

Comes out October 18. It is going to be sick.

Saw Transformers yesterday and was disappointed. I did not get nearly as many nerd boners as I expected. There wasn't all that much transforming, just a lot of robot fighting. I didn't hate it but I just need to accept I will never see anything as cool as Starscream doing a backflip into a jet in another Transformers movie.

Transformers 3 was better than 2, and was awesome in 3D.

The only way to solve the Bay debate is to see him try to do a movie that isn't big budget and aiming to make $$$. But it's Michael Bay, and he's fine at explosions, so I don't want him to embarrass himself.

I have not yet seen T3 and probably will end up seeing it at home because I'll never drag my wife to see it at a theater.

I appreciate Fanatic's perspective here - I don't pretend to know anything about film but I appreciate the concept of film as visual spectacle. T1 was a great spectacle and fun to watch. T2 went too far, especially the last scene, which was way too confusing and basically didn't make sense. I actually fell asleep for a good chunk of the climatic fight because it was too confusing to hold my attention.

I think both T1 and T2 suffered more from bad writing than bad directing. Bay can direct the hell out of some robot fights, but many non-robot scenes in those films were so poorly written nobody could direct them. In particular, every scene involving the crazed government agent guy is basically nonsensical, and some of the little dirty jokes they throw in (like the robot ballz) hurt the overall spectacle by pulling the whole enterprise down to a pre-middle school level. I hope T3 can rise above some of that crap.

I can't believe I just wasted 5 minutes of my life dissecting Transformers on the interwebz.

Transformers 3 was better than 2, and was awesome in 3D.

The only way to solve the Bay debate is to see him try to do a movie that isn't big budget and aiming to make $$$. But it's Michael Bay, and he's fine at explosions, so I don't want him to embarrass himself.

His next movie is supposed to be a smaller budget pet project of his that he's been working on for a while. He describes it as a "Pulp Fiction" like film. Will be interesting to see what Bay does outside of his comfort zone.

Probably going to watch Transformers 2 on my DVR tonight because my wife is going to "drag" me to see it this week or next. I love her even though she called the 80s Transformers "dumb" when I was watching the marathon on The Hub yesterday.

Saw Transformers 3 tonight and definitely thought it was better than 2 and probably the best of the series. Agree that it was a little long, but I never got bored with it and the destruction of Chicago was ridiculous.

Rumor has it there will be a Dark Knight Rises teaser trailer in front of the new Harry Potter movie.

Saw T3 last wknd. Was good, probably the best of the 3.

Paid $17.50 to see it in 3D IMAX, and it definitely upped the experience. Some of the 3D action scenes are cutting edge/have never been done before.

Overall, still not a 'great' or maybe even 'good' move, but had some outstanding visual elements.

Agree that Bay may not be a great director overall, but he is able to push what is able to be done in the medium, and make money doing it, so in the long run all of film will likely benefit.

My problem with T3 was that there was too much humans and not enough Transformers. You probably could've lost most of the first half of the movie and not skipped a beat. I understand they were aiming for some slapstick comedy, but the stuff with Turturro is just annoying at this point.

Haven't seen the third, but that's the problem with the first two movies as well. You don't really get to know the robots, especially since they are drawn in such a confusing way that makes it tough to tell them apart initially. Hopefully the next trilogy will take care of that problem.

Nine days out, and no critical reviews of Captain America yet. This makes me really nervous. It reminds me of Green Lantern and how it was all marketing and no critical hype leading up to the premiere. Hope to see something on RT in the next week or so.

Nine days out, and no critical reviews of Captain America yet. This makes me really nervous. It reminds me of Green Lantern and how it was all marketing and no critical hype leading up to the premiere. Hope to see something on RT in the next week or so.
I've heard that it is about on par with Iron Man, from advance screenings and such. Take that with a grain of salt, as these advance screenings usually only screen to fans.

I've heard that it is about on par with Iron Man, from advance screenings and such. Take that with a grain of salt, as these advance screenings usually only screen to fans.

That, to me, is arguably more meaningful. These particular movies are not high art and as such, I place more trust in "the fans" than the critics to get a sense of whether I'll like a movie or not. If the fans equate it to Iron Man, I'm psyched.

Back