• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

Why do we need a He-Man origin story?

When I googled that Judgement Day business I realized after 4 decades of Marvel I've reached my "big event" saturation point, the summary description made me yawn. The only thing that was interesting to me was that Hickman was writing X-Men now. I might have to dig into that a bit.

Correction, er - 5 decades. Yeesh.

Hickman makes everything pretty interesting to me. I've been working my way through his Avengers run and it's great stuff, even when he's treading on familiar ground.

House of X/Powers of X is another classic.

What're your favorite runs, DeacHead? I feel like this thread has kinda turned into MCU/DCEU, but I'd welcome more discussion of the actual comics!

It just seems like the earlier you start, the further away you get from the cool stuff. I don't remember the origin from the original or the early 00s revival, but I'm not sure how much story there is. I don't think people really want to wait until half or most of the movie is over to see Prince Adam get the sword and say "By the power of Grayskull!"

Hickman makes everything pretty interesting to me. I've been working my way through his Avengers run and it's great stuff, even when he's treading on familiar ground.

What're your favorite runs, DeacHead? I feel like this thread has kinda turned into MCU/DCEU, but I'd welcome more discussion of the actual comics!

Favorite lists and rankings are tough for me in general. When listing N items I usually feel torn about leaving off whatever is (N+1)th. That said, here's an UNORDERED list...

Two from Grant Morrison:
Animal Man
Doom Patrol
Both were mind blowing to me at the time, deconstructing superhero tropes before that became an overused superhero trope of its own.

Sandman - the whole thing. If I had to get more granular I'd go with "Seasons of Mist". I'm anxiously awaiting the announcement of the release date for the Netflix show. I'm so so happy this was made a Netflix series and not a movie with Joseph Gordon Levitt like the rumor mill buzzed about a few years ago.

Justice League America and International - the Giffen/Dematteis years (when it was wacky in late 80s-early 90s). These not only made me laugh but were genuinely good superhero stories.

Watchmen - a cliched choice, like saying The Rolling Stones is your favorite band but it is what it is.

Hate - Peter Bagge. This series' dark humor matched my own sensibilities probably more than any comic I've read.

Maus - would I have included this a week ago? Maybe not, it may have been one of those (N+1)th comics that I hated to leave off but it's really that good.

Captain Marvel - the Jim Starlin era. These were the comics that reeled me in at a very impressionable age. This showed that comics could be something more than Spider-Man and the Lizard punching each other until someone couldn't punch any more (not a knock on Spidey punching folks, those are great too). Not too long ago I found out Starlin was tripping on acid when he did this series and that explains a lot of how far out it was.

Deconstructing my own list now that I see it typed out it's clearly motivated by time and place. Everything except for Captain Marvel is from my early 20s. It'd be interesting to see how all of these hold up now. If the Morrison series + Watchmen was so mind blowing because of deconstructing superhero tropes I'm certain that would be less impactful today after seeing it done dozens of other times since then.

There's a dearth of Marvel above but their comics occupy about 2/3 of the space in my long boxes. There's a lot of John Byrne that almost made the cut (X-Men and FF)

How 'bout you Strick? Or anyone else that wants to play along. My vow is to read a series from anyone that suggests one if I haven't read it before.

That’s funny. The goal of this thread has always been to discuss MCU/DCEU and everything that isn’t the comics. Comics discussion is welcome though.

That'd be...interesting. I'm kinda surprised they haven't opted for a Spider Gwen yet. I think she's second only to Miles Morales in terms of popularity.

I'm really confused about what this is going to be. The fact that Sandra Bullock was up for this role that Dakota Johnson got is more confusing.

James Gunn really likes “characters walking toward the camera in slow motion while pop/rock song plays” shots

Now that Boba Fett is done, do I really have to wait 6 weeks until more Marvel / Star Wars?

Also, it's nice to live in a world where I'm complaining about having to wait SIX WHOLE WEEKS for new content.

No. The Hawkeye Assembled is up now.

There won’t be much of a gap between Moon Knight (March 30) and Obi-Wan Kenobi (May 25).

CBM: Moon Knight trailer (premieres March 30 on Disney+)

Netflix is removing the Marvel shows on March 1. The shows are going to Disney in some form.
https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/le...defenders-shows-leaving-netflix-on-march-1st/

[h=4]Where will The Defenders shows stream on Netflix next?[/h] As Netflix has confirmed the rights are reverting back to Disney it’ll be up to them to decide where the shows stream next.
Internationally the show will likely soon appear on Disney+ given that’s currently the home of all things Marvel. In the United States, we could see it either being split between Hulu and Disney+ or exclusive to Hulu given that is where most of Marvel’s older-skewing content has landed in recent years.

Last episode of Peacemaker was crazy - it’s turning into probably my favorite superhero show

it's cool that they're keeping pieces (agent carter, daredevil, etc.)

some of it deserves to be buried (iron fist, inhumans, etc.)

I don't agree that Iron Fist / Inhumans need to be buried but will concede they need a rework / recast. Colleen Wing for example was great.

Inhumans lost me when you have one of the most badass chicks in Marvel with Medusa and you immediately shave her head, effectively neutering her.

Inhumans is a good reminder of how things could have been in Perlmutter's Marvel.

Back